Cycle Towing of Boats

Jen-in-Wellies

Featured Posts

18 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

There is a much easier option. It would be a bit warm in summer but ideal in winter. Light multi fuel stove and place eco fan on top blades facing to stern of boat with rear boat doors open. The massive thrust developed could be reduced by opening and closing gap between doors at arse end of boat and an anchor could be rigged to throw over the back to stop the boat.

and anyone not skippering could do a bit of water skiing at the same time.

3 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Front wheel drive then

By the way has anyone here ridden a proper adult trike. I assure you you would be in the cut in seconds. A road camber will put you on the pavement.

You corner left  by lifting the right wheel, you corner right with luck.

the original ATCs/ATVs were three wheelers [at least in Canada].  I was handed one at a worksite in the back country as a teen and warned 'careful you don't run over your foot'.  How I laughed.  Until I ran over my foot.  I think there were so many accidents they ended up banning them.

A couple years ago, I towed my 70 foot butty a couple miles behind a kayak.  Much easier to do then one would think, although making bends required a bit of back and forth.

Edited by Wittenham
more random mutterings

5 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

By the way has anyone here ridden a proper adult trike. I assure you you would be in the cut in seconds. A road camber will put you on the pavement.

You corner left  by lifting the right wheel, you corner right with luck.

It is a bit easier to adapt if you can manage a motorcycle and sidecar.  I converted a bicycle by putting a trike axle and rear facing 2 x kids seat; it was used regularly for a couple of years to take the children a mile or so to school.  Very amusing if someone asked for a try. 

I have had attempts at driving/steering/flying quite a variety of vehicles - and the motorcycle combination is by far the most difficult at the beginner stage.  It looks and feels just like your motorcycle (sans sidecar) but does the most unpredictable things very rapidly.    

3 hours ago, Tacet said:

It is a bit easier to adapt if you can manage a motorcycle and sidecar.  I converted a bicycle by putting a trike axle and rear facing 2 x kids seat; it was used regularly for a couple of years to take the children a mile or so to school.  Very amusing if someone asked for a try. 

I have had attempts at driving/steering/flying quite a variety of vehicles - and the motorcycle combination is by far the most difficult at the beginner stage.  It looks and feels just like your motorcycle (sans sidecar) but does the most unpredictable things very rapidly.    

A wonderful beast on snow and ice though! Flipped on a left bend not long after I got it, '59 Triumph Thunderbird. Nearly flipped on a right hand bend once, misjudged a nifty rear wheel lock and slide. Used to have a canoe cradle on the sidecar chassis, swappable for a seat in a box. My favourite vehicle. 

On 29/11/2020 at 17:53, system 4-50 said:

The diesel/electric debate is missing the important bit - there are too many people.  Since the electric people will be more obsessed with saving electricity, they will obviously spend more evenings in the dark and we know what that will produce - more children.  People of child-bearing age shoud be banned from using electric boats.

Are electric people the human equivalent of battery hens??