Ashby Canal Breach

Phil.

Featured Posts

41 minutes ago, frangar said:

Looks like it from this video on fb. Just beyond the old pump house...that might prove interesting. 

https://www.facebook.com/1459275902/posts/10222779946314789/?

Looking on Google Aerial it looks as if it is in the latest navigable extension, well beyond the swing bridge and also the house, adjacent to a field boundary. No sign of the watercourse near there. At least the stop planks and slot are doing what they are there for

5 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Looking on Google Aerial it looks as if it is in the latest navigable extension, well beyond the swing bridge and also the house, adjacent to a field boundary. No sign of the watercourse near there. At least the stop planks and slot are doing what they are there for

If it's on the corner just past the pump house there is what looks like a ditch running right up to the canal - which seems to connect to the same ditch system that is fed from the overflow just by Bridge 61.

33 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

Isn't that where it leaked when they first re-opened it so they dumped a load of clay there to seal it (which made a shallow spot that we ran aground on)

The culprit! You obviously dislodged the clay plug. ?

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

10 hours ago, booke23 said:

It's going to take a bit of fixing. 

128660552_10157954087983277_4081778124811465567_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=2&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=Y0OfcmHaktwAX_uWCRj&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=9d0b7e931cf13b668c32874fa3eaf224&oe=5FE843F0

Those pix show a slightly different story from the earlier ones (which seemed to show only a collapse within the canal but it now seems that quite a large amount of material has been lost from under the towpath and piling. Does this suggest that the piles were a little too short at this point?

14 hours ago, StephenA said:

If it's on the corner just past the pump house there is what looks like a ditch running right up to the canal - which seems to connect to the same ditch system that is fed from the overflow just by Bridge 61.

I thought it was the other side of the winding hole from Bridge 61, ie above 61A, the swing footbridge, towards Bridge 62. Also must be beyond the stop planks which I think are alongside the visitor centre/trust shed.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Snarestone,+Swadlincote/@52.6879677,-1.4880696,140m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x48775609c80a4eff:0x954532254f4358cb!8m2!3d52.6808679!4d-1.492656

At that point, having check various maps I can still not see any watercourse, and the canal seems to be level with the adjacent field at that point, but I am happy for someone to tell me that it is elsewhere.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Graham_Robinson said:

Pretty obvious too that the 'restoration' work at that particular point was a complete bodge job

Leicester City Council you have clay on your hands!

How were they involved?

22 minutes ago, magnetman said:

ETA removed conjecture as had not noticed the piles are shorter than the others.  

Someone certainly has some explaining to do.

Contractor ?

C&RT ?

LCC ?

Who signed off the schedule of works ?
Who signed of the 'satisfatory completion' ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Graham_Robinson said:

Interesting photos, no wonder we struggled to get deeper boats up the extension.....................

Pretty obvious too that the 'restoration' work at that particular point was a complete bodge job

Leicester City Council you have clay on your hands!

Try Leicestershire County Council and you might be a bit closer.

• Greenie 1

Extending the Ashby canal does appear to me to be a remarkably pointless exercise. 

I'm sure there was a reason the top end (Moira cut ?) was abandoned. Was it something to do with not being able to keep water in the cut? Subsidence or something . 

ETA I have not been on the Ashby since the late 90s. Maybe the extension is really amazing but without any locks I find that improbable. 

Edited by magnetman

11 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Extending the Ashby canal does appear to me to be a remarkably pointless exercise. 

I'm sure there was a reason the top end (Moira cut ?) was abandoned. Was it something to do with not being able to keep water in the cut? Subsidence or something . 

ETA I have not been on the Ashby since the late 90s. Maybe the extension is really amazing but without any locks I find that improbable. 

On that basis you could forget most of the canals that have been abandoned over the years. K&A, Huddersfield etc.

• Greenie 1