Gas Safe / HETAS engineer: Sheffield

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Richard Fee or Free is your man.

Is he gas safe registered as no Richard's are appearing when I do a search of the register in the Sheffield area and the OP asked for recommendations of gas safe engineers.

13 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Is he gas safe registered as no Richard's are appearing when I do a search of the register in the Sheffield area and the OP asked for recommendations of gas safe engineers.

Yes, I will have a look on my Bscert.

Richard Fee

Swiftcraft Boats

Apperley Bridge

BD100NF

rfee4007@gmail.com

He did the inspection first, filled in 'advisories' , then sorted the fails, which were several, £100.

Edited by LadyG

3 hours ago, Rob-M said:

He covers the South Yorkshire area and certifies most Jonathan Wilson boats in Sheffield with there Gas installations. He is a Certified Gas safe engineer, BSS examiner and Surveyor. So you know when he does your BSS you are safe as he is strict with the gas regulations, just what you want. He has built many boats as the owner of Swiftcraft. I would recommend if you want a professional job done.

Edited by PD1964

9 hours ago, LadyG said:

He's aged a bit in the last ten minutes :)

That's what working on boats does for you.

Some boating neighbours in Sheffield got some gas work done just by using the gas safe register to search for fitters with LPG and boat approval on their tickets. The fellow they got did an excellent job for them, though boats were only a small part of his work. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the company, but a similar search throws up several companies with at least one suitably qualified fitter on their books in the neighbourhood.

Jen

8 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

That's what working on boats does for you.

Some boating neighbours in Sheffield got some gas work done just by using the gas safe register to search for fitters with LPG and boat approval on their tickets. The fellow they got did an excellent job for them, though boats were only a small part of his work. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the company, but a similar search throws up several companies with at least one suitably qualified fitter on their books in the neighbourhood.

Jen

The advantage of Richard is that he knows narrowboats, he fits the gas on boats for Jonathan Wilson and maybe the plumbing.  My boat is a Tyler Wilson, so he knew what he was looking at, he's carefull, methodical, and an all round decent chap.

Edited by LadyG

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

The advantage of Richard is that he knows narrowboats, he fits the gas on boats for Jonathan Wilson and maybe the plumbing.  My boat is a Tyler Wilson, so he knew what he was looking at, he's carefull, methodical, and an all round decent chap.

I'm not saying he's not. Just giving alternatives if this one isn't available.

Thanks, everybody.

I did check the BSC register but ignored Richard because he was listed as Bradford.

The next inspection's not until 2023, but I will be enhancing systems and re-arranging the interior with the intention of living aboard. I was hoping I could find an engineer with certification from Gas Safe but also from HETAS as I intend to replace and relocate the stove on the narrowboat.   

37 minutes ago, barry pierce said:

Thanks, everybody.

I did check the BSC register but ignored Richard because he was listed as Bradford.

The next inspection's not until 2023, but I will be enhancing systems and re-arranging the interior with the intention of living aboard. I was hoping I could find an engineer with certification from Gas Safe but also from HETAS as I intend to replace and relocate the stove on the narrowboat.   

I take it that stove means solid fuel heating stove, not gas cooking stove. Misunderstood as it was in the same sentence as talk of LPG hose. A HETAS fitter isn't necessarily the best person to work on a solid fuel stove in a boat. If their usual work is stoves in houses, they'll try and fit it to house regulations and want to do things like install a thirty foot high, non removable chimney. There are standards for boat installation that are summarised in to a handy diagram here. You definitely want someone who is used to fitting stoves in boats. Inland boats aren't so common round Sheffield, so you need to expand your search area. Bradford, Derby etc isn't far for someone to travel from.

Using a BSS examiner to also carry out work means that they aren't going to fail their own installation if you use the same person for the 2023 exam!

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

19 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I take it that stove means solid fuel heating stove, not gas cooking stove. Misunderstood as it was in the same sentence as talk of LPG hose. A HETAS fitter isn't necessarily the best person to work on a solid fuel stove in a boat. If their usual work is stoves in houses, they'll try and fit it to house regulations and want to do things like install a thirty foot high, non removable chimney. There are standards for boat installation that are summarised in to a handy diagram here. You definitely want someone who is used to fitting stoves in boats. Inland boats aren't so common round Sheffield, so you need to expand your search area. Bradford, Derby etc isn't far for someone to travel from.

Using a BSS examiner to also carry out work means that they aren't going to fail their own installation if you use the same person for the 2023 exam!

Jen

If the OP has substantially altered the plumbing, solid fuel stove installation,  and gas installation, would that not require a new BSC, the previous Certificate can hardly cover eg a complete renovation?

8 minutes ago, LadyG said:

If the OP has substantially altered the plumbing, solid fuel stove installation,  and gas installation, would that not require a new BSC, the previous Certificate can hardly cover eg a complete renovation?

Where does it say that? What it does say on the BSC site is

This is the Boat Safety Scheme Examination and if the boat meets the requirements, the BSS Examiner will create a Boat Safety Scheme Certification in our database.

It will be valid for four years.  

and

Please note that these requirements only relate to the Boat Safety Scheme requirements at the time of BSS Examination. As such it is a snapshot in time so the owner's on-going responsibility is to maintain the vessel in good condition in accordance with the safety requirements; and, any other licensing, registration or mooring conditions of the relevant navigation or harbour authority.

*The validity of a BSS pass result may be affected and can be cancelled if the vessel is not properly maintained; and/or non-compliant alterations are made.

So an alteration that is made in a compliant way is fine. A non compliant alteration may invalidate it. That would be if found out and that is only likely at the next due exam, or if something goes horribly wrong in between. In which case you'll likely have problems with insurance, the law, the navigation authority too. Nothing to stop you getting another exam, but it would be for your peace of mind only.

Jen

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Where does it say that? What it does say on the BSC site is

and

So an alteration that is made in a compliant way is fine. A non compliant alteration may invalidate it. That would be if found out and that is only likely at the next due exam, or if something goes horribly wrong in between. In which case you'll likely have problems with insurance, the law, the navigation authority too. Nothing to stop you getting another exam, but it would be for your peace of mind only.

Jen

Go and sort him out Jen, he’s only on the bottom pound then again maybe the top, so not too far. Go and have a chat and put him right, before he gets totally confused by Lady G ? I doubt Richard will fit the fire as he’s mainly just doing Surveys and BSS certs now.

Edited by PD1964

Aah... didn't realise that it might advance the BSC. Thanks LadyG.

Basically, it's a newly-acquired narrowboat that has previously been used for leisure purposes. I know there's a problem with perishing rubber hoses out of the gas locker, want to remove the existing oven & hob, and replace with LPG hob/grill and (probably) Bubble multi-fuel stove with oven pod. I need an engineer quickly to resolve the immediate safety issue and disconnections but also want advice on the installation of the stove/oven. I've used the sheet (thanks Jen) extensively, coupled with instructions from the Bubble manufacturer. My question - which even Harworth Engineering can't clearly answer - is that there is a requirement for the tile/air-gap/calcium silicate board sandwich appears to be required to extend 200mm above the top of the stove. Now, a Bubble with oven is 820mm tall and sits on a plinth/hearth and is, say, 80mm from the sandwich under the gunwale. What I want advice on is what happens with a wood-panelled tumblehome? can I clad the tumblehome and underside of the gunwale with silicate board (which will involve exposed joints) or do I have to move the whole stove installation toward the centre of the cabin so that I have a single vertical sandwich that is about 1.1 metres high?

Jen, you're observation that HETAS engineers also serve houses equally applies to Gas Safe engineers. That's why I made the appeal on this forum - in the hope I can find someone you undertands BSS regs and can advise on both aspects.

Is it one of these? https://www.bubbleproducts.co.uk/info-(b1-oil-fired-pie-pod).html

They are very tall! Not sure how you might do the silicate board around the gunwales. Others may have some ideas. Moving it towards the centre line of the boat could be the easiest option. I have my, much shorter, stove in this position.

Perhaps the way to think about it is this. The British Standard is based around making the installation safe. The silicate board and the air gap is to prevent any hidden wood being at a high temperature for too long, eventually turning to charcoal,  then catching fire. Could you get rid of combustable material completely around that area? Perhaps fibreglass insulation to the metal hull locally, then the silicate board screwed to a metal angle as it goes round the bend? I don't know, but a bit of lateral thinking may do the trick. Top it off with tiles to look nice.

Jen

It's this one, Jen

Image result for bubble pie podI haven't the space for the conventional (integrated) LPG cooker - a Vanette 5000 with matching 4-burner hob, if anyone wants it. I couldn't get a clear answer from Harworth's!! Boatyard was too relaxed about its fitting (I've seen a number of non-compliant installations) - I want to get this right (Lindy Lou fatality) - it's a big investment that involves creating a new hole in the roof for the flue. 

Why do you want that type of fire/oven? 
  I have never seen one on a Narrowboat, your obviously New to this so please don’t try to re-invent the wheel as it does not work with boats, it gets complicated and expensive. Just fit a normal multi-fuel fire and use the oven for cooking, like everyone else does. 
 Why get rid of your oven? With this type of fire/oven you will have to light your fire every time you want to oven cook??? What about when it’s red hot outside in the summer, do you really want your fire on? An extremely expensive way to cook a pie. Stick to the conventional gas oven and fire.

Edited by PD1964

51 minutes ago, barry pierce said:

Aah... didn't realise that it might advance the BSC. Thanks LadyG.

Basically, it's a newly-acquired narrowboat that has previously been used for leisure purposes. I know there's a problem with perishing rubber hoses out of the gas locker, want to remove the existing oven & hob, and replace with LPG hob/grill and (probably) Bubble multi-fuel stove with oven pod. I need an engineer quickly to resolve the immediate safety issue and disconnections but also want advice on the installation of the stove/oven. I've used the sheet (thanks Jen) extensively, coupled with instructions from the Bubble manufacturer. My question - which even Harworth Engineering can't clearly answer - is that there is a requirement for the tile/air-gap/calcium silicate board sandwich appears to be required to extend 200mm above the top of the stove. Now, a Bubble with oven is 820mm tall and sits on a plinth/hearth and is, say, 80mm from the sandwich under the gunwale. What I want advice on is what happens with a wood-panelled tumblehome? can I clad the tumblehome and underside of the gunwale with silicate board (which will involve exposed joints) or do I have to move the whole stove installation toward the centre of the cabin so that I have a single vertical sandwich that is about 1.1 metres high?

Jen, you're observation that HETAS engineers also serve houses equally applies to Gas Safe engineers. That's why I made the appeal on this forum - in the hope I can find someone you undertands BSS regs and can advise on both aspects.

Surly the bubble stove is diesel and not multi fuel My Dickinson stove has its own manufacturers requirements for installation, even today I am not sure that would be covered by Hetas,