Has my gasket blown?

Featured Posts

Following the fan belt breaking and engine overheating, we are regularly having to top up the water - daily and a couple of litres. 

Thinking (hoping) it might be an airlock I have removed the thermostat and watched it run for an hour or so. 

Bubbling slightly and foam. Can this be anything but the gasket? 

16065693778058707727547723826105.jpg

Edited by rgriffiths

When I say looks fine I mean the oil cap and dipstick.

Adding just water at the moment and I know it looks a bit rusty. Full flush also needed. 

Will put antifreeze in once there are no bubbles. 

When you say water pump what is your thinking? 

Edited by rgriffiths

I'm no intenal combustion expert, but I'd have thought that if you were losing a couple of litres of coolant a day through a knackered gasket, it'd be quite apparent either from a rising oil level or from the amount of vapour (white smoke) coming out of the exhaust?

I assume that there's no external sign of a coolant leak — coolant in the bilge, etc? When you say a couple of litres a day, is that a couple of litres each day you run the engine, or are you losing coolant even without running the engine?

No smoke in the exhaust, no visible leaks anywhere, nothing in the oil. 

While the engine has been running no leaks and no topping up. Just tiny bubbles. 

Come back the next day and it needs a couple of litres. 

Runs really well too. 

Edited by rgriffiths

55 minutes ago, rgriffiths said:

While the engine has been running no leaks and no topping up. Just tiny bubbles. 

Runs really well too. 

What does the coolant level look like 20 minutes after stopping the engine? If it is still (almost) full, but by next morning it is 2 litres lower, then 2 litres of coolant has either emptied into the bilge or into the engine.

With the coolant unpressurised hardly any will find it's way through a failed head gasket into the cylinder, so it must have gone somewhere else.

Thanks all. Skin tank is bled and full. 

Will double check things again tomorrow. Been running with the thermostat out today so as not have that being a problem. 

Combustion test kit looks like a great idea. I have not seen that before. Will get on to ebay. Would a gas meter do the same thing I wonder? I have one of these

3 hours ago, rgriffiths said:

Runs really well too. 

It could be that the gasket has blown between water jacket and cylinder, if the engine is hot enough you may not see steam from the exhaust and the expansion of the water qhen hot may make the level seem higher than it is when running, only to go down when hot.

These things are not always easy to diagnose, but you have a consistent story here: overheated engine/problem started/water loss/foamy water. It is very much pointing to an engine failure and most likely the head gasket. 

"Never take an engine apart till you have diagnosed the problem" is a good bit of wisdom.  It would be good to work out where the water is going to before taking any action.

..................Dave

1 hour ago, jacko264 said:

When you say it needs 2lts  are you filling the header tank full  if so it will be blowing water out as the water expands  making you think it’s short of water next time you check the tank

graham

If its a constant 2 litres across a range of run times and loads then I think this is a good call.

Maybe fill until you can just get a finger tip in the water, run, allow to cool and see if you have lost any.

Edited by Tony Brooks

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/11/2020 at 13:16, rgriffiths said:

Following the fan belt breaking and engine overheating, we are regularly having to top up the water - daily and a couple of litres. 

Thinking (hoping) it might be an airlock I have removed the thermostat and watched it run for an hour or so. 

Bubbling slightly and foam. Can this be anything but the gasket? 

16065693778058707727547723826105.jpg

Head gasket gone gas getting into coolant side hence bubbles.