Great service from Morrisson's +

LadyG

Featured Posts

Second time I've had a delivery during lockdown, I'm a bit isolated, which has pros and cons, tried public transport, taxis, and both full of stress, , and quite expensive, I just think it's best not to mix with joe public.

I went for Doorstep Delivery which kicks in as soon as I run out of food!

I noticed the delivery  van is a rental, seems 'The  Community' have donated the van for the duration of the 'demic, well done The Community I just love to be back in control of events.

Bonus , the white wine is delivered chilled, obviously I am limiting my intake, but also take advantage of discounts, including a free T shirt with five bottletops from Wytchwood Ales.

I'm desperate to move, but not today, I'm cleaning the cooker :( I'll do some interior painting tomorrow: London White to be trimmed with oak.

Edited by LadyG

17 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Second time I've had a delivery during lockdown, I'm a bit isolated, which has pros and cons, tried public transport, taxis, and both full of stress, , and quite expensive, I just think it's best not to mix with joe public.

I went for Doorstep Delivery which kicks in as soon as I run out of food!

I noticed the delivery  van is a rental, seems 'The  Community' have donated the van for the duration of the 'demic, well done The Community I just love to be back in control of events.

Bonus , the white wine is delivered chilled, obviously I am limiting my intake, but also take advantage of discounts, including a free T shirt with five bottletops from Wytchwood Ales.

I'm desperate to move, but not today, I'm cleaning the cooker :( I'll do some interior painting tomorrow: London White to be trimmed with oak.

During Lockdown Mark 1 we started with Asda but briefly tried Morrison's  for a few home delivery's and sadly found them to be wanting,. They rarely offered a substitute item. We were told by somebody that works there that they are not allowed to substitute an item if the only ones available are more expensive. I presume this to be true given the source and our experience.

So we reverted back to Asda and continued with them during the remainder of Lockdown Mark 1 through the summer lockdown respite, Tier 2 and now Lockdown Mark 2.  We go into tier 3 next week and will continue with them. If they substitute a more expensive item not only do they actually deliver it but you only pay what you would have paid for the original item ordered.

The only problem we have had with them is our local delivery team have a habit of delivering spirits with the security tags still attached, so our drinks cabinet sometimes looks like we have been 'on the rob'.

Yes, I always liked ASDA for their subs policy, and yes, Morrisons are less generous, but the next day service is what I need at this moment in time as there are no shops here, also I like a change from time to time.

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

The only problem we have had with them is our local delivery team have a habit of delivering spirits with the security tags still attached, so our drinks cabinet sometimes looks like we have been 'on the rob'.

Ditto - use Asda since the middle of March - I reckon 30%+ more expensive that Aldi, but save £7 in fuel and the obvious risks.

Ordered Gin to make some Sloe Gin and it arrived with the security tag on it, driver said just get a pair of pliers and twist and it'll come off -  ASDA obviously realise it hapens frequently & on the website have asked for it to be reported and they will give instructions for removing them.

22 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ditto - use Asda since the middle of March - I reckon 30%+ more expensive that Aldi, but save £7 in fuel and the obvious risks.

Ordered Gin to make some Sloe Gin and it arrived with the security tag on it, driver said just get a pair of pliers and twist and it'll come off -  ASDA obviously realise it hapens frequently & on the website have asked for it to be reported and they will give instructions for removing them.

I think that works for the wired ones but we once had the type that entirely encloses the bottle top. I handed that one back to the driver  and requested a refund. 

The other thing ASDA are good at is if you request a refund for something that's damaged  or not of a decent quality. Their systems are obviously set up to authorise them up to a certain limit and get processed pretty well immediately.

3 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I think that works for the wired ones but we once had the type that entirely encloses the bottle top. I handed that one back to the driver  and requested a refund. 

The other thing ASDA are good at is if you request a refund for something that's damaged  or not of a decent quality. Their systems are obviously set up to authorise them up to a certain limit and get processed pretty well immediately.

We have only had one really bad substitution and that was substituting a jar of diced cucumber for 'frozen Summer fruits' (that SWMBO has with a Yoghurt as a desert), cucumber doesn't have quite the same flavour.

This weeks 'reject' substitutes were a pack of 12 Chipolata sausages substituted for 'sausage meat', (they went back) another substitute this week was substituting 'Pedigree' (expensive) brand dog chews for ASDA's own brand.

The credits / refunds are back in the bank before I've unpacked the shopping.

We have been getting the majority of our groceries delivered since spring. I was unable to secure a slot with Asda, and since then have been alternating between Tesco and Waitrose - in a week when one doesn't have a slot available, the other usually has.

Both are quite good. Waitrose's goods tend to be a little dearer than Tesco's but on the other hand they don't charge for delivery whereas Tesco charge £4.50, so the prices tend to even up. Both have been quite good on substitutions, and both have substituted dearer items on occasion (e.g. no own-brand ice-cream cones in stock, so they sent Cornetto instead.) On one occasion we even got a six-pound bag of potatoes which we hadn't ordered at all. The driver had gone by the time we unpacked and noticed it. I suppose someone else in the area was wondering where their spuds were.

Edited by Athy

One problem we have had with Asda was with the app. and right at the beginning of Lockdown 1 when demand for on line shopping was at it's height.

Amending an order one Sunday evening the whole thing locked up and crashed.

Trying again a bit later the order wa showing as still being amended but we couldn't either cancel the amends or check them out. It just locked in that state. Annoyingly this meant we couldn't place any future orders because we had to cancel or checkout the amends on that order before it would let us place a new order.

A call to Asda was of no help other than  were told we wee not the only ones who this had happened to. They just didn't know how to fix it.

Fortunately I as well as Mrs HN had an account with them so we just switched to using that.

Even now 8 months on if we do try use Mrs. HN's log in it still shows as the order being amended and remains in that state.

Asda_1.JPG

We spent Lockdown 1 in Newark and the only delivery we could get was from Morrisons- and Majestic Wine! We had no problems and only one substitution was teabags instead of loose leaf tea. All the other supermarkets just flagged up no available slots.

Lockdown 2 finds us at Wigrams Turn which is in the middle of nowhere. Morrisons day they don't deliver to this postcode but Sainsbury's, no problem. They only seem to allow you to book up to a week ahead. Tesco have slots in 3 weeks time. All the others again no available slots.

Edited by pearley

32 minutes ago, pearley said:

We spent Lockdown 1 in Newark and the only delivery we could get was from Morrisons- and Majestic Wine! We had no problems and only one substitution was teabags instead of loose leaf tea. All the other supermarkets just flagged up no available slots.

Lockdown 2 finds us at Wigrams Turn which is in the middle of nowhere. Morrisons day they don't deliver to this postcode but Sainsbury's, no problem. They only seem to allow you to book up to a week ahead. Tesco have slots in 3 weeks time. All the others again no available slots.

When Lockdown 1 started I tried all the usual supermarkets but found that Tescos were the easiest to get a slot with. Once it was made available again I went for Delivery Saver. £7.99 a month or £47.93 for six months. Unlimited 'free' deliveries and a 4 week slot calendar. Not sure what happened last week but I've now got deliveries booked weekly beyond Christmas (29thDec)

Edited by Slim

I the first lockdown we had some poor substitutions from Morrisons. 

The final straw was we had one bag of things that we had not ordered and other items missing. It was corrected but by refund  rather than we would have preferred to receive the goods we had ordered.

Sainsburys are  more efficient . Not perfect but substitutions are few and , if rejected are corrected by the van driver. We have our delivery slot for just before Christmas booked.

Aldi are excellent for wine in the sense of no substitutions and delivered at no cost if the order is over £30. The delivery by Yodel is a little random in that you really only know the delivery time on the day its on the van but tracking of the delivery on the day is accurate.  For free delivery who cares .

We have been using Sainsbury's since the start of Lockdown 1 when they contacted me and told me I had priority (they didn't say why I assume age and health).   We have never had to send anything back and all substitutes have been acceptable and in our favour.

• Greenie 1

I used Sainsbury’s recently when we were forced to isolate as daughter had tested positive for the virus, I was quite disappointed with the quality of their produce. I usually shop in Tesco and their fresh goods, chops, veg and bread rolls didnt impress. 

7 hours ago, pearley said:

We spent Lockdown 1 in Newark and the only delivery we could get was from Morrisons- and Majestic Wine! We had no problems and only one substitution was teabags instead of loose leaf tea.

You'd have been a bit miffed if Majestic Wine had substituted teabags!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dyertribe said:

I used Sainsbury’s recently when we were forced to isolate as daughter had tested positive for the virus, I was quite disappointed with the quality of their produce. I usually shop in Tesco and their fresh goods, chops, veg and bread rolls didnt impress. 

I agree, the fruit and veg are not very fresh (I shopped there twice)  I mentioned it to the store manager, but not bothered, pity 'cos I used to rate them , good red wines, and snacks, even ready meals which I normally avoid.

the security tag thing has happened a few times from Asda for us, couple of weeks ago the driver told me it was ok as they’re all supposed to carry the removal gizmo on the vans now. he went back to the van and rummaged for a bit, then swore, then came back and apologised as someone at the depot had “borrowed” it. we got a refund.

first time it happened the nice lady driver said there were some f’ing idiots working on the packing and literally pulled the tag off with her bare hands ?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

first time it happened the nice lady driver said there were some f’ing idiots working on the packing and literally pulled the tag off with her bare hands ?

It's lucky you didn't upset her.

When out and about on the boat we've been getting our groceries delivered to pubs we've moored by. Their driver is instructed to phone me when 10 minutes away and I meet him/her in the pub car park to collect the order. It's worked very well.

As for substitutes, we've had so many unsuitable substitutions in the past that we now tick the 'no substitutes' box and have only very rarely had items left off.

2 hours ago, Bee said:

And a big thanks for the drivers of the various supermarkets who deliver the stuff in horrid weather, walk up unlit paths, trip over stupid concrete gnomes, cope with savage or overexcited dogs just to deliver to some grumpy old sod who probably ordered the wrong stuff anyway. (same for the postman too)  They must be chosen for their good humour and tolerance.

They featured two such delivery drivers on the news last week.

One was an ex airline pilot and the other IIRC was something in live theatre. Both had lost their jobs in the last few weeks but had managed to secure something positive from the pandemic after it dealt them such a blow.

16 hours ago, Dyertribe said:

I agree, Sainsburys rip us off, and prices almost as high as Waitrose.   ''Eat less for more''.

33 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

They featured two such delivery drivers on the news last week.

One was an ex airline pilot and the other IIRC was something in live theatre. Both had lost their jobs in the last few weeks but had managed to secure something positive from the pandemic after it dealt them such a blow.

It did occur to me, some months ago, that there would be an increasing demand for grocery delivery drivers. It's not a job which many of them would have chosen in normal times, but it it's keeping a roof over their head and food on their table for hundreds, perhaps thousands, of people.