Electronic pod propulsion

mickvw

Featured Posts

So the simple answer to the poor op is yes it can be done.

A motor in a butty hellum will move the boat forwards.

How you choose to power that motor is a subject of massive argument.

Im thinking an electric motor powered by a pack of dogs running along on a treadmill inside the boat would be excellent.

It would be green , you could gain an income from dog exercise for persons living landside, free of fuel costs provided the dogs were not yours.

Heating would be again free and green summer and winter as clearly british people love the smell of damp sweaty dog in their living space.

By accessing stud animals it is also sustainable, provided an appropriate number of bitches can be sourced.

Perfect solution.

In sticking with a lister.

• Haha 1

I believe most only move every 3-5 days summer and 5-10days winter. With this I mine solar power system should give 4/6hr in summer backed up with a small generator to extend range in winter. Possible In years to come there will be charge points. I'm a heating contractor so i will have plenty of options to heat water and the boat. 

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, peterboat said:

How? It's beyond me to say the least 

Hub motor in the back wheel, 4 batteries in place of the engine, power control inside the fuel tank, charger in the tool box and a 3D printed shell around the batteries. Disk brakes back and front, LED head light and rear stop light.  https://www.iamabiker.com/stephen/2020/electric-royal-enfield-motorcycle-bullet-photon-debuts-in-england/electric-royal-enfield-bullet-photon-4/

Vintage Voltage - what time is it on TV? Episode 5 Series 1 cast list and  preview.

electric-royal-enfield-bullet-photon (4) | IAMABIKER - Everything  Motorcycle!

Edited by ditchcrawler

26 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Hub motor in the back wheel, 4 batteries in place of the engine, power control inside the fuel tank, charger in the tool box and a 3D printed shell around the batteries. Disk brakes back and front, LED head light and rear stop light.  https://www.iamabiker.com/stephen/2020/electric-royal-enfield-motorcycle-bullet-photon-debuts-in-england/electric-royal-enfield-bullet-photon-4/

Vintage Voltage - what time is it on TV? Episode 5 Series 1 cast list and  preview.

electric-royal-enfield-bullet-photon (4) | IAMABIKER - Everything  Motorcycle!

Still can't see 20k I am afraid no matter how I look at it. But that's because I was given a electric car so I suppose I don't value stuff highly. I only needed batteries at 2.2k to make it go

15 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Still can't see 20k I am afraid no matter how I look at it. But that's because I was given a electric car so I suppose I don't value stuff highly. I only needed batteries at 2.2k to make it go

Its all brand new gear, the 3D casing for the battery box cost a few quid and then there is the labour  at probably £4 - £500 a day

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its all brand new gear, the 3D casing for the battery box cost a few quid and then there is the labour  at probably £4 - £500 a day

I suppose so, I guess because I do stuff myself I don't value my time, I am helping someone convert their boat to electric for me it's a bit of fun and knowledge gained of course 

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Just watched a tv program, Vintage Volts where they converted a motorbike to electric, a Royal Enfield, it only cost £20K

That is based at a company near to me, Electric Classic Cars in Newtown.
I was surprised how expensive the bike conversion was, but will say that you are paying for both his expertise in both the engineering and the electronics. Some of the cars he has converted are incredible. He has just done an MG Midget like mine, and if I had the money I would be sorely tempted.

Edited by Graham Davis
  • Greenie 1

I'm wondering which is a better investment NIO (electric cars) or NIU (electric motorcycles). 

Obviously in a bit of a bubble situation currently but it's seems likely the leader will end up being Chinese.

Unless... Wages suddenly start going up in China but given the mindbending population this seems improbable. 

I'm still annoyed with myself for only murmuring "oh, that NIO for $2 a share looks interesting" rather than dumping money on it. It was only earlier this year and now it's over $50... 

Bubble trouble ?

Edited by magnetman

17 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

I was surprised how expensive the bike conversion was, but will say that you are paying for both his expertise in both the engineering and the electronics. Some of the cars he has converted are incredible. He has just done an MG Midget like mine, and if I had the money I would be sorely tempted.

The Landrover was one IMO

16 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

I prefer to repurpose stuff which makes it more affordable, I enjoy the engineering of making something for little money. However its good that companies do cater for those that can afford it 

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

The Landrover was one IMO

He has now done 3 Land Rovers, and currently has an old Series 3 in for conversion.
The white 110, "E-Lander" was in Llani on Saturday and is most impressive.

2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I prefer to repurpose stuff which makes it more affordable, I enjoy the engineering of making something for little money. However its good that companies do cater for those that can afford it 

A lot of what he produces is recycled. He buys lots of written off Teslas.

• Greenie 1

Not a Clarkson fan in general but must admit he did do a good one on the top of the range Tesla Model X. 

The slightly irritating thing about Tesla is that they are not really a "green" car. Ok so they generate massive profits by selling regulatory credits which at the end of the day is a good driver for change but until they produce an every day car it doesn't really work as a sustainable solution and could easily drive Tesla itself out of business.  

They don't half shift though !! 

Edited by magnetman

8 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Not a Clarkson fan in general but must admit he did do a good one on the top of the range Tesla Model X. 

The slightly irritating thing about Tesla is that they are not really a "green" car. Ok so they generate massive profits by selling regulatory credits which at the end of the day is a good driver for change but until they produce an every day car it doesn't really work as a sustainable solution. 

They don't half shift though !! 

I don't know I think he enjoyed the car Andrew especially blowing the doors of the Audi ? oh and they are green and the future

9 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I don't know I think he enjoyed the car Andrew especially blowing the doors of the Audi ? oh and they are green and the future

Yes electric cars are definitely the future and I liked the Audi R8 dickhead car comparison no doubt about this but Tesla will have to alter their strategy I reckon if they want to get into the mass market.

The model 3 seems to be doing well. A lot of then about now. Which is good. And talk of smaller vehicles. 

Competition must turn up at some point. I could see a point where other car manufacturers end up using their facilities to manufacture true electric vehicles under license rather than go through their own R&D processes.

It could be Tesla, it could be another maker but it seems consolidation is likely and the number of car makers will reduce significantly over the next decade or two. 

Interesting to watch :)

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Yes electric cars are definitely the future and I liked the Audi R8 dickhead car comparison no doubt about this but Tesla will have to alter their strategy I reckon if they want to get into the mass market.

The model 3 seems to be doing well. A lot of then about now. Which is good. And talk of smaller vehicles. 

Competition must turn up at some point. I could see a point where other car manufacturers end up using their facilities to manufacture true electric vehicles under license rather than go through their own R&D processes.

It could be Tesla, it could be another maker but it seems consolidation is likely and the number of car makers will reduce significantly over the next decade or two. 

Very to say the least 

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Just like they have in the past, Austin, Wolseley, Riley, Sunbeam, Morris and many more.

On 28/11/2020 at 16:24, bizzard said:

Moth ball propulsion works well too, it's the camphor or naptha that does it. I used to play boats in the sink, put a chip of moth ball onto the back of a trolley bus ticket and watch it motor around the sink.  A net bag full of moth balls hung on the back of the boat should work well.

To vary your speed add or subtract balls. To reverse sling the bag of balls over the bows.

Where are you going to get moth balls in this day and age, it's a ridiculous idea.

Try baking powder, available in all good supermarkets, I'm sure I once had a BP powered submarine that came with a box of corn flakes, 

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Where are you going to get moth balls in this day and age, it's a ridiculous idea.

Try baking powder, available in all good supermarkets, I'm sure I once had a BP powered submarine that came with a box of corn flakes, 

Loads on ebay and in some hardware shops.:closedeyes:

shopping.jpg

12 hours ago, LadyG said:

Mothballs were are good in catapults 

Edited by ditchcrawler