Lisahall24

Featured Posts

Hi, I’ve just purchased my first boat and will move onto it in the next couple of weeks.  

I’m an office working needing to work from the boat and have a lot of online workshops to do.  Therefore good internet/ WiFi is important.  I will be continually cruising so won’t benefit from moored WiFi.  I also streem Netflix etc.

Can somebody advise what my options are?  Is the best option a mobile router or is there a cheaper option that will suffice? 

If you are cc'ing,you will find that there are quite a few places where the mobile signal is very poor or there is non at all.I know a gamer who lives in a marina with poor reception.He has his dongle on top of a 12ft fishing rod on his roof!.

5 minutes ago, Jinna said:

It all depends on the strength of signal IMO. I just use my phone as a hotspot and tether to it. I watch Netflix Amazon prime etc. I do have unlimited everything on my contract. A dongle or router is only as good as the signal.

I do this too.  Works fine for me and obviously cheaper than getting a second contract just for wifi.

I have a Huawei router with an XPOL antenna and an unlimited data SIM. Whenever I venture to an area with a really poor signal, I get a reasonable connection with the above.

If you rely on a good connection for work, a few quid on the equipment, plus £15-20 a month, is probably necessary.

2 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I have a Huawei router with an XPOL antenna and an unlimited data SIM. Whenever I venture to an area with a really poor signal, I get a reasonable connection with the above.

If you rely on a good connection for work, a few quid on the equipment, plus £15-20 a month, is probably necessary.

I require a good connection for work.  I'm video conferencing every day pretty much.  I've never needed to do more than tether my phone.

18 minutes ago, Lisahall24 said:

Hi, I’ve just purchased my first boat and will move onto it in the next couple of weeks.  

I’m an office working needing to work from the boat and have a lot of online workshops to do.  Therefore good internet/ WiFi is important.  I will be continually cruising so won’t benefit from moored WiFi.  I also streem Netflix etc.

Can somebody advise what my options are?  Is the best option a mobile router or is there a cheaper option that will suffice? 

Tethering (using your phone as a hotspot) works for most people on board BUT if you need your phone for work calls this could be a bit of a faff.

Your best option would really to have a quality external antenna hooked up to a router inside the boat. That would keep your phone separate and available for use. It would also result in a better quality reception which in some areas can be hit and miss. 

Example antenna

https://tinyurl.com/y4ho9dqr

Example router

https://tinyurl.com/y2yz8my4

57 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is it that 60 footer with an old survey showing 5mm base plate and 1mm corrosion pitting ?

If so how did you go on with the insurance ?

I didn’t go with that boat in the end and have purchased a different one. 

Surprised no one mentioned an external attenna (connected to a router).  Pretty sure this was covered in the linked thread.

But, steel boats are basically Faraday cages and block any signal inside. Windows allow signal through them.  If you CC around London or a big town probably not as big an issue but if you are going out in the country side I would expect an antenna to make a huge difference.

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Tethering (using your phone as a hotspot) works for most people on board BUT if you need your phone for work calls this could be a bit of a faff.

Your best option would really to have a quality external antenna hooked up to a router inside the boat. That would keep your phone separate and available for use. It would also result in a better quality reception which in some areas can be hit and miss. 

Example antenna

https://tinyurl.com/y4ho9dqr

Example router

https://tinyurl.com/y2yz8my4

23 minutes ago, Kudzucraft said:

Surprised no one mentioned an external attenna (connected to a router).  Pretty sure this was covered in the linked thread.

But, steel boats are basically Faraday cages and block any signal inside. Windows allow signal through them.  If you CC around London or a big town probably not as big an issue but if you are going out in the country side I would expect an antenna to make a huge difference.

Cough.....

3 hours ago, Lisahall24 said:

Luckily, you've now discovered that there is a solution to this particular glaring omission in your research into the "important" stuff  involved in moving your life and work aboard a boat.  Fingers crossed you are better prepared in terms of the "essential" and "critical" aspects you needed to bowl out before contemplating continuously cruising, since many of the challenges have far more pressing consequences than not being able to work from home.

2 hours ago, Kudzucraft said:

#12 & #7 mention router and antenna.

4 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I require a good connection for work.  I'm video conferencing every day pretty much.  I've never needed to do more than tether my phone.

Dependent on where you are, you might get away with tethering your phone. 

It would be a shame to have an important conference planned, only to find that the signal isn't as good as you need.

For a couple if hundred quid of capital investment, and a monthly expense of £15-20, you can have something that will only "not work" in the very worst of locations.