Replacement accumulator

Featured Posts

I need to replace the pressure vessel in my water system. I have a red expansion vessel and a white accumulator which appears to have failed. Do I have to replace like for like, or can I replace my white one with a red, which seem cheaper. I know the white ones are for potable water, but does it really make any difference?

I don’t think the colour is important but what is important is that it’s designed for potable water, not for central heating.

If you fit one that is designed for central heating coolant (which has antifreeze/corrosion inhibitor in it) then in the presence of ordinary water it will corrode fairly quickly.

Just now, nicknorman said:

I don’t think the colour is important but what is important is that it’s designed for potable water, not for central heating.

If you fit one that is designed for central heating coolant (which has antifreeze/corrosion inhibitor in it) then in the presence of ordinary water it will corrode fairly quickly.

Wow, that was quick! I felt sure that there would be a reason something like that. Thanks!

Take a champagne bottle, a balloon a tee piece and a tube of Araldite, Drink the champagne.  Poke the balloon into the bottle with the neck sticking out. Blow up the balloon and tie a knot in it's neck and poke it down into the bottle. Araldite the tee piece into the bottle neck. For big systems use a magnum bottle. Install. :closedeyes:

3 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Take a champagne bottle, a balloon a tee piece and a tube of Araldite, Drink the champagne.  Poke the balloon into the bottle with the neck sticking out. Blow up the balloon and tie a knot in it's neck and poke it down into the bottle. Araldite the tee piece into the bottle neck. For big systems use a magnum bottle. Install. :closedeyes:

I like that plan as far as drinking the champagne. After that , I don't think I'd really care about doing the rest!

On 26/11/2020 at 17:32, monkeyhanger said:

I need to replace the pressure vessel in my water system. I have a red expansion vessel and a white accumulator which appears to have failed. Do I have to replace like for like, or can I replace my white one with a red, which seem cheaper. I know the white ones are for potable water, but does it really make any difference?

I don't need to replace the pressure vessel after all. It seems to have lost most of its air for some reason. I repressurised it and after a few days, it seems to holding its pressure. Problem sorted!  Thank you everyone for your help. Now I just need to empty the champers bottle, so that I have a spare just in case.

8 hours ago, monkeyhanger said:

I don't need to replace the pressure vessel after all. It seems to have lost most of its air for some reason. I repressurised it and after a few days, it seems to holding its pressure. Problem sorted!  Thank you everyone for your help. Now I just need to empty the champers bottle, so that I have a spare just in case.

You did check its holding pressure with the taps open and the pump off didn't you

18 hours ago, monkeyhanger said:

One weak spot with these things is the Schraeder (car tyre-type) valve. I nearly replaced the pressure vessel on our house heating system until I realised it was the valve that was leaking. A new valve costing pence (well actually u found one lurking in the garage) fixed the problem and save me a packet.

To put it crudely, spit on the end of the valve and check for the formation of any bubbles. If it’s leaking, unscrew and replace.

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

One weak spot with these things is the Schraeder (car tyre-type) valve. I nearly replaced the pressure vessel on our house heating system until I realised it was the valve that was leaking. A new valve costing pence (well actually u found one lurking in the garage) fixed the problem and save me a packet.

To put it crudely, spit on the end of the valve and check for the formation of any bubbles. If it’s leaking, unscrew and replace.

I thought the cap was suppose to seal them

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I thought the cap was suppose to seal them

The old metal caps with a rubber washer were good, but not seen those for years.  That said, they were only to stop tires going soft between the monthly checks we had to do back then, I don’t think they would maintain pressure for a few years.......

46 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

The old metal caps with a rubber washer were good, but not seen those for years.  That said, they were only to stop tires going soft between the monthly checks we had to do back then, I don’t think they would maintain pressure for a few years.......

image.png.c7095675cb55d0ff43222ad4f8864656.png

On 28/11/2020 at 23:10, ditchcrawler said:

You did check its holding pressure with the taps open and the pump off didn't you

Pump off, not sure if the taps were open. I left it a couple of days. I assume you are saying that with the taps closed, any leakage would be held in the system.

On 29/11/2020 at 09:47, nicknorman said:

Crude ???

That was high tech when I started motoring.

36 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

Pump off, not sure if the taps were open. I left it a couple of days. I assume you are saying that with the taps closed, any leakage would be held in the system.

You need to have pump off and taps open, otherwise you are measuring the water pressure not the inflation pressure of the vessel.

1 hour ago, monkeyhanger said:

If you don't depressurise the water side you have no idea of the precharge pressure