£150 PER DAY MOORING FEE

canalboat

Featured Posts

31 minutes ago, canalboat said:

So sorry to use this forum to "complain" but unlike your assumption, absolutely SFA is being done to move Detritus Village which is growing by the day and now includes a large dirty "furnished tent" beside the towing path net to one of the boats. 

As for the sign - Yes it is CRT approved and very official but I did not read it all as it is a lot of words. 

Not sure you were being accused of complaining. The trouble is, how do you get rid of the rubbish makers without just moving the problem somewhere else, and, in fact, how to do it anyway? Short of setting fire to their boats, what's the solution?

It's the problem with antisocial behaviour everywhere, the social try and work within the rules and the antisocial don't care. CRT go through the courts to get rid of illegal liveaboards, and as the courts are now running about three years behind....

41 minutes ago, canalboat said:

As for the sign - Yes it is CRT approved and very official but I did not read it all as it is a lot of words. 

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'll bet it turns out to be this one :

Thought so. So not as per the original post at all. Its a penalty charge not a mooring fee.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

Surely a penalty charge has nothing to do with accumulation of rubbish on the tow path? That charge is to prevent people who are not entitled to moor there from tying up.

If those creating the mess have a mooring agreement for the site then that is nothing to do with this charge.

CRT can use the terms of the mooring agreement to deal with that particular issue. Im sure ours had something in it about 'not making a mess or creating a nuisance' (or similar) at our site.

19 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Thought so. So not as per the original post at all. Its a penalty charge not a mooring fee.

Yes, it looks as if it would be imposed after the 14th day, not immediately as I first thought.

That's assuming that they're 14-day moorings of course.

44 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

So you don't need to pay for a rivers licence.  Perhaps Tony Dunkley should get on the case. :giggles:

Keep up at the back :

Correct, you do not need to pay for a Rivers Licence

But, you do need to pay for a Rivers Registration, to navigate in the MNC (not if you are moored up on the bankside)

The navigation authority can charge for the use of their facilities, and used to charge to use a lock (to recover the cost of building weirs, locks etc) to simplify this an Act of Parliament changed this to 'requiring' a River Registration which then allowed you to use these facilities free of charge.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Justified or not it is thoroughly depressing. Crap all over the towpath is just plain wrong. CRT have got all the rules and regs that they need plus probably quite a lot that they don't but signs like this just make boating feel like a game of musical chairs, sneak out of your expensive marina mooring then you're off, no stopping here, or there, can't afford this or that place, don't even think of stopping near those houses or on that bit of towpath, see if you can get out and back home to safety without having to pay rent on the monopoly board properties that the canal system is becoming (And as for EA waters, stuff that)  Wouldn't be so bad but the licence and mooring fees are  hardly cheap.

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Keep up at the back :

Correct, you do not need to pay for a Rivers Licence

But, you do need to pay for a Rivers Registration, to navigate in the MNC (not if you are moored up on the bankside)

The navigation authority can charge for the use of their facilities, and used to charge to use a lock (to recover the cost of building weirs, locks etc) to simplify this an Act of Parliament changed this to 'requiring' a River Registration which then allowed you to use these facilities free of charge.

I know that, I was attempting light hearted humour. 

4 minutes ago, JamesWoolcock said:

As I understand it 'Waterside Mooring ' is a company set up and owned by Canal & River Trust but they dont want you to know that nor get any of the stick that might come WM's way

The CRT website says:

Waterside mooring

Waterside mooring is the name for the permanent, long-term moorings we manage. That's around 3,600 berths across England and Wales over some 330+ sites.

1 minute ago, JamesWoolcock said:

As I understand it 'Waterside Mooring ' is a company set up and owned by Canal & River Trust but they dont want you to know that nor get any of the stick that might come WM's way

I think it is well known that WM is a 'division' of C&RT (they tend to make it clear on all documentation).
C&RT have subcontracted the enforcement of their moorings to a 'car park enforcement'  company "District Enforcement".

When you agreed to the licence T&Cs you agreed that C&RT could pass on all of your personal details to District Enforcement irrespective of any 'privacy laws' and retention of information requirements - you 'signed away' your rights.

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

The CRT website says:

Waterside mooring

Waterside mooring is the name for the permanent, long-term moorings we manage. That's around 3,600 berths across England and Wales over some 330+ sites.

Oh, so they dont mind about us knowing after all. Sorry 

Pretty sure that most, if not all, of CRT long term moorings have these signs now....

The problem with this particular location is that the 2 or 3 boat length of permit holder moorings is towpath side, just below the locks. On busy days, boats queue there...."by mooring or remaining stationary at this location you accept this contractual terms"

21 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

if it were not for the seemingly ever increasing amounts of this sort of stuff including the ludicrous regulations at Banbury that in effect ban you for stooping both  on your way to Oxford and then on your way back that tipped the balance between selling the boat and keeping it for less arduous trips. The last thing the majority of boaters need is being forced to contend with private parking companies who as far as I can see have had their wings clipped by law re car parking so have moved in mooring enforcement so they can carry on with their extortion and money extraction.

I'm heading to that stage too, after thirty years. It may be just old sge creeping up on me , but the vast increase in rules and regs  and the hassle of having to book or pay for transits and places that used to be free is wearing me down. Add in the truly horrible trip I had this year to Llangollen and it gets less fun every year.

I'm sure part of the junk boats and their towpath crap is down to the housing situation, but it's no excuse. Being poor doesn't mean you have to live like a pig. But the number of boats dumped unattended in prime spots for weeks on end is also part of the problem. If moorings were more affordable, instead of CRT ramping up the prices, that might help.

One more year for me, I think, and if I enjoy it as little as I have over the last few, I can probably find a better way to spend a couple of grand a year.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

The last thing the majority of boaters need is being forced to contend with private parking companies who as far as I can see have had their wings clipped by law re car parking so have moved in mooring enforcement so they can carry on with their extortion and money extraction.

When I lived in Windsor years ago a private parking company knew the theatre turned out at a certain time and that the parking tickets did as well, they used to hurry round the car park clamping people before they could get to their cars.

Windsor & Maidenhead council ASBO'd them.

A few years ago it was suggested by the lock keeper to moor overnight there as they had not had any boats on that mooring for several years. In common with a lot of CART moorings some seem to be empty for years on end and supposedly there is a shortage, go figure.

20 minutes ago, Detling said:

A few years ago it was suggested by the lock keeper to moor overnight there as they had not had any boats on that mooring for several years. In common with a lot of CART moorings some seem to be empty for years on end and supposedly there is a shortage, go figure.

CRT have more space on their linear mooring sites than they sell due to the arrangements put in place to reduce mooring spaces in proportion to the number of new private marina berths being created.

For instance on the site where I have a permit there are 10 berths but only 7 live permits and 1 vacancy.

Amazingly the permit holders even go boating sometimes and thereby make it look like there are even more vacancies than there are.

25 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

CRT have more space on their linear mooring sites than they sell due to the arrangements put in place to reduce mooring spaces in proportion to the number of new private marina berths being created.

For instance on the site where I have a permit there are 10 berths but only 7 live permits and 1 vacancy.

Amazingly the permit holders even go boating sometimes and thereby make it look like there are even more vacancies than there are.

I thought the policy of culling online moorings had been abandoned a few years ago

1 minute ago, Cheshire cat said:

I thought the policy of culling online moorings had been abandoned a few years ago

Don’t think so. The two vacated near me that have not been resold were vacated broadly a year ago for the most recent and no more than a year before that for the other. However the berth vacated just a few weeks ago is currently available. It’s only a short berth though, less than the minimum available for payment terms at the local marina, which may explain why it remains available and the others seem to have been discontinued.

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I'm heading to that stage too, after thirty years. It may be just old sge creeping up on me , but the vast increase in rules and regs  and the hassle of having to book or pay for transits and places that used to be free is wearing me down. Add in the truly horrible trip I had this year to Llangollen and it gets less fun every year.

I'm sure part of the junk boats and their towpath crap is down to the housing situation, but it's no excuse. Being poor doesn't mean you have to live like a pig. But the number of boats dumped unattended in prime spots for weeks on end is also part of the problem. If moorings were more affordable, instead of CRT ramping up the prices, that might help.

One more year for me, I think, and if I enjoy it as little as I have over the last few, I can probably find a better way to spend a couple of grand a year.

Now that is very sad. This is not the rosy picture that is painted by CRT or boatbuilders, or various entertaining telly programs. If someone spends a big heap of cash on a boat and then has to spend more heaps of cash to avoid falling foul of the authorities it doesn't feel like a very good deal. Remember, much of the running costs of canal and river boating is just for permission. Permission to use the water, to tie to the bank, to live on the thing, to park it somewhere. For this you have live under more rules and regs than virtually any other pursuit I can. think of.  Frankly, when we lived on BWB waters it felt like protection money -' pay up or we will make your life difficult'  

As for the fools that make a hell of a mess on the towpath - you're entitled to bang in a couple of mooring pins. Thats it. And when and if you leave all you are supposed to leave is a couple of holes where they were.

SORRY TO GO ON ABOUT IT BUT THERE IS SOMETHING ABOUT THIS SIGN AND THE ATTITUDE BEHIND IT THAT I FIND UPSETTING

This is the sign I referred too.  What do you mean - you can't see it?

Imagine getting desperate for an overnight mooring at dusk with the trees in full leaf.

DSCF0378.JPG.c16664d5790cf85bb2358286e680849c.JPG

They could of course have put the sign in full unobstructed view but chose not to.

The boat, by the way is not one of the scruffy ones - they are just around the bend.

But it is interesting to note that it has absolutely nothing to identify it.

DSCF0377.JPG.158d1c59c2c530542c64241f96c5872e.JPG

This is what the sign says

DSCF0376.JPG.6e79bd1e33efa611c1922773dd5ff2af.JPG

Close up of the enforcement company

DSCF0379.JPG.4de5ed34bc1fb41b2b28c1073af9e4d4.JPG

4 minutes ago, canalboat said:

SORRY TO GO ON ABOUT IT BUT THERE IS SOMETHING ABOUT THIS SIGN AND THE ATTITUDE BEHIND IT THAT I FIND UPSETTING

This is the sign I referred too.  What do you mean - you can't see it?

Imagine getting desperate for an overnight mooring at dusk with the trees in full leaf.

DSCF0378.JPG.c16664d5790cf85bb2358286e680849c.JPG

They could of course have put the sign in full unobstructed view but chose not to.

The boat, by the way is not one of the scruffy ones - they are just around the bend.

But it is interesting to note that it has absolutely nothing to identify it.

DSCF0377.JPG.158d1c59c2c530542c64241f96c5872e.JPG

This is what the sign says

DSCF0376.JPG.6e79bd1e33efa611c1922773dd5ff2af.JPG

Close up of the enforcement company

DSCF0379.JPG.4de5ed34bc1fb41b2b28c1073af9e4d4.JPG

As the sign says, these are not 'free / public moorings', they are for boats with a mooring agreement and for which they pay £1000's per year.