£150 PER DAY MOORING FEE

canalboat

Featured Posts

I have just been for a walk in the lovely sunshine along the towing path below Hillmorton Locks.  I found a new sign saying that those who moor there will be charged an amazing £150 PER DAY which will be imposed by a private contractor.  Although I do not want to moor there, (and even if I did, I would not want to be anywhere near the scruffy boat village detritus spreading all over the towpath at that point) I did find this type of creeping management by threat from a faceless private company, did nothing to make me feel good walking by the water. 
And then I had mud splashed up my leg by a passing cyclist!

1 minute ago, canalboat said:

I have just been for a walk in the lovely sunshine along the towing path below Hillmorton Locks.  I found a new sign saying that those who moor there will be charged an amazing £150 PER DAY which will be imposed by a private contractor.  Although I do not want to moor there, (and even if I did, I would not want to be anywhere near the scruffy boat village detritus spreading all over the towpath at that point) I did find this type of creeping management by threat from a faceless private company, did nothing to make me feel good walking by the water. 

Seems a bit OTT.

What does the wording actually say?? Is it actually a penalty notice for over staying??

11 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Is the clue not in the "scruffy boat detritus all over the towpath"?

Is it possible that (some) boaters are their own worst enemy?

Of course it is. But some on this forum just like to complain even when something is being done to clean up the crap that some boaters, (are they really "proper boaters" or just pee takers leaving all their shite all over the towpath?) insist on leaving behind. More often than not not even leaving it behind but actually living in amongst their own crap. As said some are their own worst enemy.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But if it achieves the desired effect...............................

The 'result justifies the means'.

there's always some unintended target that gets caught out though. poor Grandpa Joe, who's eyesight isn't what it was and there-were-no-signs-there-5-years-ago-when-he-last-cruised-that-way, stops there to put the kettle on and have a gypsy's before carrying on cruising and gets landed with a £150 fine when he gets home after his month long trip. by which time early payment bonus is out of the window and he has to stump up the whole amount.

these companies are well known for underhanded smallprint and bullying tactics, and far too many organisations sub-out for their services

• Greenie 3

More and more of the Thames is being "policed" by one parking company.

Obviously someone's seen this as a good idea as it gets them out of the hassle of doing it themselves (badly) and by sub contracting the task they can then deflect any criticism to them. Win win situation except for the poor boaters.

Perhaps we should all remove boat names and numbers, that'll stuff them. ?

Has anyone confirmed with CART that this their policy and that they have sanctioned the notice?

I don't remember the path below Hillmorton locks being a no-mooring area.

If the aim is to deter the "scruffy boat village" types from mooring there, from CB's description they probably haven't got £150, so what would be the point of imposing these fines?

1 minute ago, twbm said:

The folk it's aimed at are probably Freemen of the Land and therefore unaffected. It's the reasonable folk that suffer. Always.  

If only King John and the Barons had had the foresight to include a section on parking/mooring fines in Magna Carta (or any of the other versions)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

If only King John and the Barons had had the foresight to include a section on parking/mooring fines in Magna Carta (or any of the other versions)

They did - you should read clause 33 of the Magna Carta which ensures "free passage along all of England's rivers" (Canals were not widely available in those days)

Magna Carta

Magna Carta set out some of the universal rights of free people. The spirit of the Charter is now generally accepted as part of the British culture. There is one exception - Clause 33 of the 1215 Charter. (Clause 23 of later versions.) This statement of the Common Law required the king to ensure that the rivers 'throughout all England' be kept clear for the "great wealth of this land ... so that Ships and Boats might have their large and free passage". (The Act for Wears and Fishgarthes of 1472) The rivers should also be kept clear for the public today for the "great health of the land" both physical and mental. This right has never been extinguished and still exists today.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Have you considered that you might be wrong?

I thought I was once, but it turned out I wasn't.

5 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

That is a really dangerous philosophy.

No gain without pain !

Which is the greater good ?

A couple of dossers covering the tow path in crap, or dozens of moorers being allowed to moor and enjoy ?

1 hour ago, pete.i said:

Of course it is. But some on this forum just like to complain even when something is being done to clean up the crap that some boaters, (are they really "proper boaters" or just pee takers leaving all their shite all over the towpath?) insist on leaving behind. More often than not not even leaving it behind but actually living in amongst their own crap. As said some are their own worst enemy.

So sorry to use this forum to "complain" but unlike your assumption, absolutely SFA is being done to move Detritus Village which is growing by the day and now includes a large dirty "furnished tent" beside the towing path net to one of the boats. 

As for the sign - Yes it is CRT approved and very official but I did not read it all as it is a lot of words. 

2 hours ago, canalboat said:

Towpath or offside ?

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

They did - you should read clause 33 of the Magna Carta which ensures "free passage along all of England's rivers" (Canals were not widely available in those days)

Magna Carta

Magna Carta set out some of the universal rights of free people. The spirit of the Charter is now generally accepted as part of the British culture. There is one exception - Clause 33 of the 1215 Charter. (Clause 23 of later versions.) This statement of the Common Law required the king to ensure that the rivers 'throughout all England' be kept clear for the "great wealth of this land ... so that Ships and Boats might have their large and free passage". (The Act for Wears and Fishgarthes of 1472) The rivers should also be kept clear for the public today for the "great health of the land" both physical and mental. This right has never been extinguished and still exists today.

So you don't need to pay for a rivers licence.  Perhaps Tony Dunkley should get on the case. :giggles: