Moving cruiser fairline 19 from carnforth to Wigan

jonathanA

Featured Posts

I need to move a Fairline 19 cruiser from near carnforth on the Lancaster to somewhere west of Wigan on the L&L. 

Given the time of year and various stoppages sailing via the ribble link isn't an option. 

I'm wondering if moving via trailer is an option or lifting onto a hiab equipped  flatbed and move by road? 

Either way where could I lift it out on the Lancaster and relaunch on the l&l ?

Hoping the collective knowledge of the forum will be able to help...

Thanks

Ha ha not quite combination of project plus extra accommodation.

Completely ignored the slipway at the slipway pub even though I have nosed the bow into it loads of time as I can just wind there if I use the end of the slipway....

Thanks biscuits 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, John Wareing said:

The benefit of more local knowledge there Biscuits - Jonathan only said west of Wigan!

Yep, I often wave and/or photograph Ivy's Lot on the way past.  I just think he should put more effort into tidying up the land part of his mooring! :D

Scarisbrick Marina is the only other one I can think of on that pound, unless MMBC allow public use for a fee.  St Mary's also have a slipway, but that's 7 locks uphill and 3 miles rather than a mile and a half of flat water.  A nice day out, but not a delivery trip in December unless you really have to!

25 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

St Mary's also have a slipway, but that's 7 locks uphill and 3 miles rather than a mile and a half of flat water.  A nice day out, but not a delivery trip in December unless you really have to!

I know only too well. When we got our first boat we were in Fettler's Wharf for a few years. But having to take 2.5 hours each way to get to the main line every time we wanted to go somewhere got too much after a while so we moved when Scarisbrick opened.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, John Wareing said:

I know only too well. When we got our first boat we were in Fettler's Wharf for a few years. But having to take 2.5 hours each way to get to the main line every time we wanted to go somewhere got too much after a while so we moved when Scarisbrick opened.

I have often said that if I was forced to take a permanent mooring I'd want one of the four at Sparks' Bridge, preferably the second one up from the water point.

Hen's teeth or rocking horse poo spring to mind.  They don't turn over very often!

3 hours ago, John Wareing said:

The benefit of more local knowledge there Biscuits - Jonathan only said west of Wigan!

Thanks John was trying to keep options open but avoiding the wigan 21 !

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yep, I often wave and/or photograph Ivy's Lot on the way past.  I just think he should put more effort into tidying up the land part of his mooring! :D

Didn't see you  over the summer and guess you've not been past recently ..

The amount of bonfires I had im surprised the neighbours weren't moaning although some of the tow path users were ?

36 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Thanks @TheBiscuits Gary lancaster is the man.  Although he's not keen on Crabtree bridge slipway and scarisbrick is the wrong side of a Spencer's bridge stoppage. Going to try crooke marina or may wait for the stoppage to end (18th Dec).

Crabtree and Scarisbrick are both on the same side of the stoppage at Spencer’s bridge.

15 minutes ago, John Wareing said:

Crabtree and Scarisbrick are both on the same side of the stoppage at Spencer’s bridge.

Doh ! Of course they are ( I knew that just had a senior moment) which was why I need to see if crooke is an option otherwise it's probably wait a few weeks.

I guess we must have been past you a couple of times recently Jonathan. 3 weeks ago we brought our boat back to Scarisbrick after the Summer out. And this last week we will have walked past you - we have just started a Winter project of walking the towpath from Liverpool to Leeds. We did Burscough to Gathurst last Thursday and Gathurst to the top of Wigan locks on Sunday.

10 hours ago, jonathanA said:

Going to try crooke marina

I don't think there is a slipway at Crooke.

10 hours ago, jonathanA said:

Didn't see you  over the summer and guess you've not been past recently ..

Not been past you since June, we went Liverpool way then crossed over to the Lancaster in July. 

We'll be back across in April or May next year so it'll be good to see what you've done with the place!

15 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I don't think there is a slipway at Crooke.

Not been past you since June, we went Liverpool way then crossed over to the Lancaster in July. 

We'll be back across in April or May next year so it'll be good to see what you've done with the place!

Would seem not scarisbrick have (£50 to use). Out at bridgehouse (£25) in at scarisbrick but have to wait for the stoppage at Spencer's. Can moor at scarisbrick for 50 quid a week if we need to.

Enjoy the Lancaster, it was friends of ours who had a boat on the lancaster that led to our buying our boat. 

23 hours ago, John Wareing said:

I guess we must have been past you a couple of times recently Jonathan. 3 weeks ago we brought our boat back to Scarisbrick after the Summer out. And this last week we will have walked past you - we have just started a Winter project of walking the towpath from Liverpool to Leeds. We did Burscough to Gathurst last Thursday and Gathurst to the top of Wigan locks on Sunday.

Hi John yes I'm sure I've seen your boat pass us. Give us a wave next time you pass. Walking the towpath sounds great you've got some good and some not so good ahead but all interesting ?

I’ll look out for you, although it will probably be next Spring now.

We know the route well from many cruises, although we haven’t been up Wigan for a few years now. Plans are in place for a trip to Sheffield next year. It was a pleasure to “go up” Wigan in 40 minutes on Sunday!

20 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

You know Bolton-le-Sands embankment is shut till next year, don't you?  You can't get from Carnforth to Garstang ...

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/17551-embankment-from-bridge-122-to-bridge-126-bolton-le-sands-lancaster-canal

Yes thanks its actually from hest bank not carnforth a bit of poetic licence on my part. ?