fitting water tank bilde girders/deviders

Kristina

Featured Posts

We are refitting and narrowboat and got a new plastic watertank. it sits a bit too high for what we want. would be perfect high if it sat right against the bottom of boat so where the ballasts are, but because of the size of it the bilge (girders) i guess you would say stop it from sitting this low. Assume cutting these is not a great idea, they are horizontal and would need to cut 2 of them for this perhaps reinforcing with some vertical sections of steel instead would make this an ok idea? Anyone who has experience in this can give advice? 

Sitting things with a large surface area directly on top of your base plate traps water (condensation) between the two,and will cause corrosion of your base plate.??

Edited by Leggers do it lying down
misspelling

Agree with @Leggers do it lying down, it is an invitation to the base plate rusting away. Assuming you are committed to using that tank, is it possible to mount it somewhere else? Under where a bed is to go for example. I'd be wary of cutting those cross members anyway. They are part of the structure and add to its stiffness. You might not notice a problem till the boat needs craning out. I am guessing the existing position is under a well deck. Perhaps this could become a storage cupboard instead?

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

18 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Agree with @Leggers do it lying down, it is an invitation to the base plate rusting away. Assuming you are committed to using that tank, is it possible to mount it somewhere else? Under where a bed is to go for example. I'd be wary of cutting those cross members anyway. They are part of the structure and add to its stiffness. You might not notice a problem till the boat needs craning out. I am guessing the existing position is under a well deck. Perhaps this could become a storage cupboard instead?

Jen

thanks i didnt think about the condinsation. it is a big tank that we want to be at the front. it is too high to go under the bed at the moment it is basically at the level of the door so sitting it a bit lower and insulating atound it and basically building a box around it/making it a seating area on top is the idea.