Semington

Heartland

Featured Posts

It looks a bit like one of those "floating homes" conversions but they were usually built on wooden Ricky butties as far as I know. 

Made on the Basingstoke canal. 

There was a video on the tube about them at some stage. 

Here it is https://www.britishpathe.com/video/new-barges-for-old/query/Basingstoke

Edited by magnetman

I think that Heartland's photo of Semington was probably taken in Victoria Basin in Gloucester Docks.
After leaving Gloucester Semington was moored on the Severn level of the Avon, between Tewkesbury Lock and the A38 bridge. Unfortunately,  probably sometime in the late 1980s, Semington was left on it's side in the river after it was caught on the bank when the river fell after a flood. 
I have a couple of photos of the sinking, somewhere!

• 3 years later...
On 26/11/2020 at 17:00, Dorlan said:

I think that Heartland's photo of Semington was probably taken in Victoria Basin in Gloucester Docks.
After leaving Gloucester Semington was moored on the Severn level of the Avon, between Tewkesbury Lock and the A38 bridge. Unfortunately,  probably sometime in the late 1980s, Semington was left on it's side in the river after it was caught on the bank when the river fell after a flood. 
I have a couple of photos of the sinking, somewhere!

Sorry for reopening an old thread. I remember seeing this barge abaonded near Upton on Severn in about 1990. 

She was recovered from thar spot in 2022 and I'm in process of buying the hull. 

IMG_20240201_144857_651.jpg

IMG_20240201_144857_598.jpg

IMG_20240201_144857_671.jpg

• Greenie 1

Just now, Bee said:

She was in Gloucester docks for a long time and i was told she actually was an old K&A boat.

She's about 10 foot to long and 4 foot to wide for the k+a, I did have the same thought with the name Semington. I used to love down the road from there at Seend. 

12 hours ago, Grim Reaper said:

She's about 10 foot to long and 4 foot to wide for the k+a, I did have the same thought with the name Semington. I used to love down the road from there at Seend. 

Oops!