Dodgy Beko cookers

blackrose

Featured Posts

As the most recent death mentioned in the article occurred in 2013, I wonder how it took seven years for an enquiry to be held; surely this was a serious matter which should have been pursued with more urgency.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

As the most recent death mentioned in the article occurred in 2013, I wonder how it took seven years for an enquiry to be held; surely this was a serious matter which should have been pursued with more urgency.

Grenfall being an example. 

I think this is not so much a fault with the cooker as a fault with its use.

My cooker has a label clearly stating that the grill shouldn't be used with the door closed.  I haven't really looked to see if there is a sufficient gap round the door, I'll have a look next time I'm at the boat.  Perhaps I'll try running it with the door closed and  CO monitor next to it.

• Greenie 1

The  cookers did not have a label and they were not tested  to see what happened if the grill was used with the door shut.  

The test standards were changed in (IIRC) 2009 as a result of the first deaths.  The recall programme would appear to be wanting.

N

I've had a number of Beko appliances over the years, and always been more than satisfied.

Thet are not generally very sophisticated but thats what attracts me.

I don't like these things with all the bells and whistles that may be very clever, but are either incomprehensible unnecessary or just more to go wrong.

I just want things to reliably do the job I bought them for and nothing else. Beko do just that and have been solid additions that I appreciate.

17 minutes ago, Rebotco said:

I've had a number of Beko appliances over the years, and always been more than satisfied.

Our second-best fridge-freezer is a Beko. We bought it some 12 years ago and it gave steady service in the kitchen before being replaced by our first-best, and more capacious, Daewoo. The Beko has since taken up residence in the utility room where it efficiently keeps drinks cold and frozen food frozen, which is all we require it to do.

25 minutes ago, Rebotco said:

They are not generally very sophisticated but thats what attracts me.

I sympathise. We used to have a simple microwave which had just manual time and temperature controls. When it conked out, our heads were turned by a devilishly handsome German model called a Retro. It sits in a corner of a kitchen looking fine, but because it's so complicated to use, and we have to resort to ploughing through the instruction manual before daring to approach it, it rarely actually does anything, though it does come in useful for keeping our stack of frying pans on.

6 hours ago, blackrose said:

I hope nobody has one of these deadly cookers on their boat.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-55042565

It's not all Beko cookers, just certain models which you can check on their website.

I'm pretty sure that all Beko cookers made in the last ten years or so specifically state in the installation manual that they are not suitable for installation on boats.

There was a major issue and product recall on many different Flavel and Lesiure branded cookers shortly after Beko bought the brands.  It cost them millions to recall and repair, and it sounds like this is related to the same issue.

There is also a specific recall on certain cookers when they are converted to LPG.