Dog preferences

Featured Posts

The problem with some dog owners these days is that they treat their dogs like their children and allow them to do whatever they want.

There are a few dog-child parents on boats near me who walk their dogs on those extendable leads that seem to go on forever. When they approach you on the pontoons instead of keeping the length of the lead short and restricting the dog's movement like any sensible person would, they let the dog-child take as much lead as it wants, allowing it to come right in for a sniff or even jump up at you. The 15ft of extended lead also creates a trip hazard for other people on the pontoons - and with over a hundred boats the pontoons do get busy here. Why don't these people understand that not everybody wants a dog sniffing or pawing at their trousers and control their animal?

• Greenie 2

Ah the dog thread is still running.

I hate people who have big aggressive dog breeds and expect everybody to think their dog is gentle. And the idea that a any dog can be made obedient and non-threatening is utter bs. Some dogs are bred genetically to attack/fight and can cause serious harm to humans & other dogs. No amount of training can contain the genetic drive 100%. An aggressive chihuahua can probably leave a few puncher wounds in my flesh but an aggressive dog like staffie or rottie can kill me probably.

internet is full of people(especially americans) gushing over pitt bull smile and saying things like 'there are no bad dogs, only bad dog owner/parent'

Edited by restlessnomad

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

The problem with some dog owners these days is that they treat their dogs like their children and allow them to do whatever they want.

There are a few dog-child parents on boats near me who walk their dogs on those extendable leads that seem to go on forever. When they approach you on the pontoons instead of keeping the length of the lead short and restricting the dog's movement like any sensible person would, they let the dog-child take as much lead as it wants, allowing it to come right in for a sniff or even jump up at you. The 15ft of extended lead also creates a trip hazard for other people on the pontoons - and with over a hundred boats the pontoons do get busy here. Why don't these people understand that not everybody wants a dog sniffing or pawing at their trousers and control their animal?

ahhhh, you mean those who refer to their pets as "fur babies"

usually the first ones complaining on Facebook when there's so much as a sniff of a firework due to the complete lack of training for their pet. the same idiots who let their animals freely roam off-lead because they are so well-behaved yet have zero recall, when anything goes wrong loudly proclaim "they've never done that before", and can't understand why pets should be under control in the vicinity of livestock.

i once had a massive toe-to-toe argument with an idiot who was letting his labradoodle chase sheep at Dovestones reservoir, it was ok because the dog was just having fun and the sheep were not bothered as they weren't getting bit ?

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Very true. Some dog owners have no idea how to control their dogs.

As many on here here know I have a reactive rescue GSD, who often tries to attack  any dog who gets too close to him.

Last year I was walking him in a public park, when a guy with three off lead Chihuahuas began to approach me.

I politely asked him to put his dogs on a lead and to take a wide berth because my can be reactive and held my dog on a short lead, close to my side

"Oh, my babies wont harm anyone" he said, completely missing the point. 

Then his dogs approached my GSD and began air snapping at him, and he reacted violently as I expected.

Again I asked him to put his dogs on a lead and move them away from my dog. Still he wittered on about his babies without removing his dogs.

"Right, if you dont put your dogs on a lead and move them away I'll let my dog off then shall I?"

He them muttered something about me having a dangerous dog, before finally putting his dogs on a lead and moving them away.

• Greenie 1

On 17/12/2020 at 12:12, cuthound said:

He them muttered something about me having a dangerous dog,

Dog racist!..The worst kind of owner.

Pop a red collar on him if you don't already,and those in the know will give him a wide berth!. ?  Although my rotti was the friendliest of dogs,to other dogs and people.I had a red collar and lead for her,so most owners kept their distance.? It's generally the big dog that gets the blame if a fight starts!. ?

39 minutes ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

It's generally the big dog that gets the blame if a fight starts!. ?

My observations would suggest they are blaming the wrong dog.   It is the little "yappy snappies" that always seem to be spoiling for a fight.

Edited by Jerra

2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

My observations would suggest they are blaming the wrong dog.   It is the little "pappy snappies" that always seem to be spoiling for a fight.

I have a scar on my right hand to prove it!...After saving a friends jack russell (that started the fight),from the jaws of an american bull dog.?

Labrador for me. Good swimmers, intelligent. They dry quickly and being relatively short haired has many advantages suitable for life on the waterways. They're big enough to act as a deterrent to anyone who may pose a threat (yobs and the like) + they just seem to have something more about them, or at least compared to any other breed I have owned. 

Edited by RichM
  • Greenie 2

16 minutes ago, RichM said:

Labrador for me. Good swimmers, intelligent. They dry quickly and being relatively short haired has many advantages suitable for life on the waterways. They're big enough to act as a deterrent to anyone who may pose a threat (yobs and the like) + they just seem to have something more about them, or at least compared to any other breed I have owned. 

And of course absolutely no problem disposing of food waste

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, tree monkey said:

And of course absolutely no problem disposing of food waste

I had a yellow labrador, "Bruce",  many moons ago. He would have been a disaster on the cut.

He loved swimming and made every effort to swim whenever possible, even if the content was more mud thsn water.

Walks had to be planned with military precision to avoid watercourses, ditches, ponds etc.

• Greenie 2

• 2 years later...