Dog preferences

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

My preference is not to have a dog. It's much cheaper, doesn't make a lot of noise and annoy my neighbours and doesn't shit everywhere.

Strangely, my dog "doesn't make a lot of noise and annoy my neighbours and doesn't shit everywhere" either.  These are not inevitable attributes of a dog, merely indications of an incompetent dog owner. 

She is a golden retriever so sheds a bit (a lot, actually) but otherwise is little trouble. Having been on the boat (6 months out of 12) since she was three months old, she is well trained so usually does not need to be on a lead, is comfortable around locks etc. Admittedly she is far from cheap to run -  but so is the boat -  both are worth it IMHO.

So, my preference is to have a dog, your is different (which, of course, is fine) but don't blame the dog.

Sueb - I'm sorry, she doesn't have "sticky up pointed ears" but she's beautiful all the same.

• Greenie 2

14 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Most dogs don't!!

Agreed.

I reckon that about a third of the houses in our road have a dog living in them, some have two.

Its rare to hear any of them. We did have a problem with one neighbour a few years ago but their dogs noisy behaviour wasnt the fault of the dogs themselves.

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Agreed.

I reckon that about a third of the houses in our road have a dog living in them, some have two.

Its rare to hear any of them. We did have a problem with one neighbour a few years ago but their dogs noisy behaviour wasnt the fault of the dogs themselves.

It isn't the ones in houses I notice.   It's the ones that run barking down the garden as the boat goes past or stand on deck barking as you boat past.

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

It isn't the ones in houses I notice.   It's the ones that run barking down the garden as the boat goes past or stand on deck barking as you boat past.

The dogs I was refering to may 'live' in the houses but they also spend times in their owners gardens and my comment stands.

Just now, The Happy Nomad said:

The dogs I was refering to may 'live' in the houses but they also spend times in their owners gardens and my comment stands.

In everyday life I rarely encounter a barking dog.   Can anybody explain what it is that makes them so prevalent on/beside canals.

17 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

You can come as well if you wish join the property sniffing party.

No point - I can't judge as I have a Labrador. I don't think my house or boat smell either, but it probably does a tiny bit to those not exposed to dogs. I'm not suggesting your place is smelly - some places stink of dogs even to other dog owners - but I'd be surprised if a non dog owner with a good nose wouldn't be aware at all in either of our places. It could be worse - you could have a cat and think no-one can smell it in your home.  ;)

We English don't think we smell,  but turn up in China and ask them what they think and they'll tell you we smell quite strongly of milk. Can you tell when someone's been eating garlic? Of course you can - eat it yourself though, and you won't notice it. Particularly dangerous is Hydrogen Sulphide - whilst it has a super strong rotten eggs smell, you quickly lose the ability to smell it.  

Bottom line is: nose blindness affects us all and means we can't always judge lingering odours we live with. 

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Bottom line is: nose blindness affects us all and means we can't always judge lingering odours we live with. 

I think this is true.  

And though we do a lot of stuff to keep smells at bay I'm pretty sure it would be detectable to some.

But then I also take the view that nobody is forced to visit, people know we have a dog and if it is a concern to them, then do not visit. Simple.

11 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

No point - I can't judge as I have a Labrador. I don't think my house or boat smell either, but it probably does a tiny bit to those not exposed to dogs. I'm not suggesting your place is smelly - some places stink of dogs even to other dog owners - but I'd be surprised if a non dog owner with a good nose wouldn't be aware at all in either of our places. It could be worse - you could have a cat and think no-one can smell it in your home.  ;)

We English don't think we smell,  but turn up in China and ask them what they think and they'll tell you we smell quite strongly of milk. Can you tell when someone's been eating garlic? Of course you can - eat it yourself though, and you won't notice it. Particularly dangerous is Hydrogen Sulphide - whilst it has a super strong rotten eggs smell, you quickly lose the ability to smell it.  

Exactly right.  This is why NautiCal's comment of "I assure you my dog doesn't smell" is just nonsense.  How would she know?  Can you buy a smell-o-meter from Argos?  I'm not aware of any such thing.  Obviously she can't smell the dog, because she's used to it.  She may have asked others if they can smell it, but people tend to be polite in such circumstances.  NautiCal is quite fearsome on here sometimes, so I can imagine a certain reluctance to tell her to her face if her house smells!  I don't doubt that her dog is on the bottom end of the smelly scale, but a dog which doesn't smell at all of dog, is known as a cat!

did not want to start WW3... 

I love dogs, but I cant live with the level of smell some people seem to do(especially lab and boxer owners). 

hope genetically modified dogs become a thing, I would love to have a dog that smells like fresh linen.

(the real reason I cant have dog is lack of commitment, so like somebody else said, the best dog is my neighbour's )

Edited by restlessnomad

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Exactly right.  This is why NautiCal's comment of "I assure you my dog doesn't smell" is just nonsense.  How would she know?  Can you buy a smell-o-meter from Argos?  I'm not aware of any such thing.  Obviously she can't smell the dog, because she's used to it.  She may have asked others if they can smell it, but people tend to be polite in such circumstances.  NautiCal is quite fearsome on here sometimes, so I can imagine a certain reluctance to tell her to her face if her house smells!  I don't doubt that her dog is on the bottom end of the smelly scale, but a dog which doesn't smell at all of dog, is known as a cat!

If you think it is nonsense the offer still stands.

Cats have a stench all of their own. It took us months to get rid of the smell from our old house when we moved in.

Trust me. Our friends would tell us if our house was smelly. They don't hold any prisoners much as we don't.

Owning a dog does not mean that you have to have a smelly house!!

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

that's very true, i'd no idea how much people who smoked and their clothes stunk of it until i quit after 20 odd years of smoking, now it hits my nose like a battering ram (and makes me pine for a crafty drag or two :D)

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

that's very true, i'd no idea how much people who smoked and their clothes stunk of it until i quit after 20 odd years of smoking, now it hits my nose like a battering ram (and makes me pine for a crafty drag or two :D)

off topic but I always wonder how people with extreme bad breath(the one smell like ate fresh sh*t) get intimate with their partners... 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, restlessnomad said:

off topic but I always wonder how people with extreme bad breath(the one smell like ate fresh sh*t) get intimate with their partners... 

Find a partner with the same problem.

Then read Kama Sutra to find intimate positions that don't involve face to face contact.?

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Yes,me too.I can now smell cigarette smoke at 100 yards.

Thankfully it doesn't make me want to smoke ,but walking through a town centre the smell of cigarette smoke is sometimes quite overpowering.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

If you think it is nonsense the offer still stands.

Cats have a stench all of their own. It took us months to get rid of the smell from our old house when we moved in.

Trust me. Our friends would tell us if our house was smelly. They don't hold any prisoners much as we don't.

Owning a dog does not mean that you have to have a smelly house!!

Sure, I'll happily drive across half the country, in the middle of lockdown, breaking the law, to visit the house of a total stranger to smell a dog.  See you in 4 hours?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

Sure, I'll happily drive across half the country, in the middle of lockdown, breaking the law, to visit the house of a total stranger to smell a dog.  See you in 4 hours?

i've just had a letter from SpecSavers to say my eye test is overdue, pick me up on the way and we can kill two birds with one stone (may need to stop at a castle though for thorough eye testing purposes) ;) 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Ask Dominic C to give you a lift, hes good at that sort of thing and hes got time on his hands at the mo.

1 minute ago, Hudds Lad said:

i've just had a letter from SpecSavers to say my eye test is overdue, pick me up on the way and we can kill two birds with one stone (may need to stop at a castle though for thorough eye testing purposes) ;) 

Perfect!  But I wasn't really tipping her off about a visit today, just to give her enough time to empty a can of oust around the house.  My plan is to sneak up all secretly like, when she's least suspecting.

• Greenie 1