Dog preferences

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

I have heard it is difficult to get a rescue dog if you live on a boat?!...Apparently,it is because you have no garden!?.?

Daft but true. Blue Cross no chance and others. However if u live in a house and leave the dog locked up all day whilst at work then that's no problem ?

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Indeed, Staffies are lovely natured dogs when  brought up properly.

When a dog is the correct weight you should be able to:

1. Feel its ribs but net see them 

2. See a discernable narrowing of its waist when viewed from directly above, and,

3. See a discernable "tummy tuck" where the stomach rises to meet the back legs, just after the rib cage.

If you cannot meet all three criteria then the dog is overweight.

It is so easy to check but the majority of dogs you see fail on at least one point.

My collie was always active and I was very careful with what I fed her, unfortunately I moved abroad for 6 months and couldn't keep her, anyway a friend who had recently lost her dog, loved mine and lived in the middle of nowhere, perfect I thought.

6 months later I popped over to see my friend, who looked very sheepish and in wandered a tri coloured coffee table to say hello.

Needless to say I gave my friend a very long paddington stare and careful instruction about diet.

• Greenie 1

54 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We do let him go woolly occasionally but he gets his beard filthy and he is a pain to keep clean.

20180825-165117.jpg

20180826-115353.jpg

Much easier to keep him clean and the house and the boat clean when he is clipped shorter.

the schnauzer is shining through  !!    you can't keep a schnauzer down.   typical German.   :)

17 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Some people smell. By your logic that means that all people smell :rolleyes:

I have to agree with restless nomad.  I don't have a dog, but every dog I've ever met smells of dog.  Every home with a dog I've ever been in smells of dog.  Every car I've ever been in which is used to transport dogs, smells of dog. 

When dogs get wet, they don't smell, they stink! -_-

That's my experience.  It's well known, that constant exposure to a smell will mean you can't smell it any more.

Edited by doratheexplorer
  • Greenie 2

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

I have to agree with restless nomad.  I don't have a dog, but every dog I've ever met smells of dog.  Every home with a dog I've ever been in smells of dog.  Every car I've ever been in which is used to transport dogs, smells of dog. 

When dogs get wet, they don't smell, they stink! -_-

That's my experience.  It's well known, that constant exposure to a smell will mean you can't smell it any more.

When lockdown is over you are welcome to come and have a smell of our home, car and boat. I can guarantee to you that none of them smell of dog :)

28 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

This our fella he’s an Airedale the 3 rd one we have had. They are very alert and good watchdogs but all 3 have been reluctant to swim even though the breed was used to hunt otters they don’t like even walking through puddles.

i grew up with an Airedale from birth until i was about 13 or 14, lovely dog and was very protective. My mum got another one but it suffered with an odd stomach problem that no-one could get to the bottom of and was the most nervous animal i've ever seen :( 

don't see many of them around these days sadly

17 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

i grew up with an Airedale from birth until i was about 13 or 14, lovely dog and was very protective. My mum got another one but it suffered with an odd stomach problem that no-one could get to the bottom of and was the most nervous animal i've ever seen :( 

don't see many of them around these days sadly

Sadly breeds come and go in popularity but we have stuck with Airedale’s as their character and interest in everything grows on you. Last year we were up in Airedale and he was quite a hit in the pubs we visited although the usual greeting is what sort of dog is that!

59 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

When lockdown is over you are welcome to come and have a smell of our home, car and boat. I can guarantee to you that none of them smell of dog :)

I'd like to say the same, but this is a hard point to make if you live with a dog. As with smokers who don't realise how strongly they smell to non-smokers, we tend to go nose blind to consistent background smells. 

For years, we always used a good carpet sweeper, with occasional mains vacuuming. About eight months ago, we purchased a Hoover cordless vacuum. It’s only got a small collection container but We’re impressed and amazed and embarrassed at the amount of dog hairs and other muck we get from the carpet. They used to say, hoover, beats as it sweeps as it cleans. I think they were right.

Our dogs do smell a little but not as much as me!!

Before we moved onboard we lived in Private rented. The chap contracted to take the property back in behalf of the owner wrote, ‘smells of dog’. Our rented properties were, in our opinion, cleaner than when we took them over five years earlier. The room that ‘smelt of dog’ was the bedroom with laminate flooring that had been cleaned thoroughly and the walls washed.

Some properties ‘smell of dog’ obviously.

Why I wrote the above beats me, but I did write it.

27 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I'd like to say the same, but this is a hard point to make if you live with a dog. As with smokers who don't realise how strongly they smell to non-smokers, we tend to go nose blind to consistent background smells. 

You can come as well if you wish join the property sniffing party.

I assure you it does not smell of dog.

Dogs, much like humans, come in a range of smelliness. We are fortunate that ours is at the bottom of that scale. We know that some dogs stink, we have friends who have stinky dogs and the smelly homes and vehicles that come with that and it isn't a pleasant smell. We are fortunate that ours just doesn't smell. In fact at the moment he still smells of the coconut oil the groomers put on him a couple of weeks ago.

I can't tell you why some dogs are smellier than others or why Syd doesn't smell. He gets regular baths and his beds, toys and blankets get washed on a regular basis but other than that he is just a dog.

2 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

This our fella he’s an Airedale the 3 rd one we have had. They are very alert and good watchdogs but all 3 have been reluctant to swim even though the breed was used to hunt otters they don’t like even walking through puddles.

44A00A2C-B4E0-48C8-84E4-3C84EF392D87.jpeg

my first memory of an Airedale was at my Gran's house in Headingley.  The family had always had an Airedale or two, but they also had a life-size toy Airedale on wheels that I sat on as a toddler and got someone to push me around.   Airedales seem to have almost disappeared these days.

20 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

my first memory of an Airedale was at my Gran's house in Headingley.  The family had always had an Airedale or two, but they also had a life-size toy Airedale on wheels that I sat on as a toddler and got someone to push me around.   Airedales seem to have almost disappeared these days.

Yes it seems everybody’s gran had one and the one on wheels was a very popular toy. The one in the photo is called Barney and he’s 5 both him and the previous one loved to stand at the front of the barge seeing where we were going but this one liked to “help” with the ropes .

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

This is why boaters with elderly pumpout systems still think they are a good idea ...

:icecream:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

I can guarantee that they don’t smell of dog to you. If they don’t smell of dog to me then you must have the only non-dog smelling dog in the world. 

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I can guarantee that they don’t smell of dog to you. If they don’t smell of dog to me then you must have the only non-dog smelling dog in the world. 

I sold real estate for 17 years and have been in hundreds of homes. Some owners had pristine properties , most didn't. Those that had smellie homes were without exception , extraordinarily difficult to sell. I could always detect the presence upon first entering, ultimately I declined to take them on . A lot of work for often no result.

5 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

44A00A2C-B4E0-48C8-84E4-3C84EF392D87.jpeg

We had an airedale from a litter of pups for life. Fantastic character who took no prisoners and sensibly didnt like children though he didnt bite. His name was mrsmelly and Ive kept it ever since for places like this forum. However he wasnt a smelly dog just grumpy. His teeth were enormous. Our next dog after him was a purpose done cross between an Airedale and a Bernese and a big bugger.