Dog preferences

Featured Posts

Daughter has a Sproker , now about 6 months old. He is more Springer than Cocker .

He is a lovely dog but absolutely full of energy, which is nice but  he would walk all day long.  Really needs more than one person to do the walks.  At present he would probably run off if we let him off the lead - needs more training.

We haven't introduced him to the boat yet - Covid hasn't helped with that.

He is still growing . I would say he will make 20kg.

Springers are sporting dogs, very active and have excellent sense of smell, as with all sporting breeds require discipline, and plenty of acivities.

Border Collies and such like are very keen to please, they have a herding instinct and relatively easy to train, though like any dog they should do as they are told, when they are told, not always easy,  I had a collie cross when I was at College, he was absolutely brilliant, others used to borrow him to go rabbitng, and rough shooting, he could also round up the sheep with no guidance, and bring the cows in, all this with no training other than 'lie down' and 'come here' and 'sit'.

For the boat, I'd like a whippet crossed with a coarse haired lurcher, or a mediun size crossbred, must be friendly, but I'm too lazy to get a dog, the cat is my preferred companion on board, he looks after himself, and only sheds his coat once a year, gets a good brush once a week. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

Certainly size-wise small(ish) fits in a boat better and is less likely to be 'under your feet' all the time.

Pugs - I have found that being brachycephalic means that they (never say never) cannot swim. We found this when Dudley stepped off the side following SWMBO and, him having short legs didn't quite reach the towpath. His back end sunk, he went 'vertical' and slowly slipped down into the canal - no struggling or wriggling just a "Titanic" type moment. (Got him back by reaching down under the water and grabbing his collar). Next purchase was a lifejacket.

French Bulldogs get very sea sick in force 6-7 winds and 8 foot high waves.

CAM00247.jpg

CAM00254.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Love 2

I do love dogs,and although I don't have one of my own,i get a few visitors at my mooring.

A border collie,a small poodle type,and two jack russels.All are vey friendly,and I usually give them a biscuit.

I think other people's dogs are best.

• Greenie 2

The bigger the better for a boat. Those pharting little yappy things you cant see and trip over them. Dogs that woof rather than squeek are sensible to deter vermin who may be on the prowl breaking in boats to nick yer stuff. However we have at present our smallest ever dog a lab at only 72 lbs and she is a sweetheart so its whatever you fancy realy they are all good fun.

• Greenie 2
  • Horror 1

Proper dog. Preferably leg at each corner. Proper tail , no one wants to look at a dogs bottom. Decent snout. Not too hairy, there's enough mud outside without dragging even more inside. Not too big, it WILL end up on your bed or favourite chair. Apart from that any old dog as you will love each other.

• Greenie 1

My last dog was a Labrador, but he was getting on in years when I came back to the cut and died before we had a chance to go boating together.  One problem was that, like many dogs, he would not climb open tread stairs and at 38 kgs was too heavy to easily lift, so I had to replace the cabin steps with something that looked like stairs.   If I had another dog it would ideally be another Lab.

(Spelling edit)

Edited by malp

8 minutes ago, Bee said:

Proper dog. Preferably leg at each corner. Proper tail , no one wants to look at a dogs bottom. Decent snout. Not too hairy, there's enough mud outside without dragging even more inside. Not too big, it WILL end up on your bed or favourite chair. Apart from that any old dog as you will love each other.

This is what I'd get if i wanted a dog, although I don't mind fewer than 4 legs.  One more more thing though - rescued from a dog's home.

• Greenie 1

We have a rescued staffi/ridgeback Cross. Proper size dog, proper nose, the best ears in the world!  She takes up a fair bit of space though, and is becoming more difficult to manage on a boat now she is old, arthritic and creaky.  We have had to create a ramp for her from the sofa to the tug deck to get out, and an extra box step from the deck to the pontoon when the river is low. 35kg, so hefty if she has to be lifted. But she's worth anything like that to us. We intended rescuing a smaller dog, but she chose us!

The best dog is the one you love!

• Greenie 3

Our Zara didn't mind the boat at all, especially liked the walks she got and the scenery like on the Llangollen, was usually to be found curled by the radiators or in front of the stove, but was a bad judge of jumping off the stern which prompted the purchase of a harness. Gone now and sorely missed :( 

ODZD5yPxQYiCQACd9lA-wg.jpg

47QT1gHnSYGVMUOknFoIgA.jpg

8GAysPOEToa1wVhAROMR_A.jpg

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

The bigger the better for a boat. Those pharting little yappy things you cant see and trip over them. Dogs that woof rather than squeek are sensible to deter vermin who may be on the prowl breaking in boats to nick yer stuff. However we have at present our smallest ever dog a lab at only 72 lbs and she is a sweetheart so its whatever you fancy realy they are all good fun.

Indeed, if you have to bend down to pat it, then it isn't a real dog.?

Edited by cuthound
Phat phingers
  • Greenie 2