celtic narrow boats

James the Scarlet

Featured Posts

Hi,

we are looking at buying a 42 ft Celtic Narrow Boat built in 1996. can anyone help with some information on this company? 

i cannot find any information on line, i am interested in build quality, hull thickness etc.

does anyone have any experience with the boat company?

any help would be very much appreciated

thank you

James..

Are you sure it was built by a company called Celtic Narrowboats, could it have been fitted out (furniture kitchen etc) by someone called  "Celtic".

I must admit to not having heard of a 'builder' by that name, and Google brings up nothing useful, and it appears that there has never been a company called Celtic Narrowboats. registered with Companies house.

Quite a few NB's are built by Steel fabricators (water tank manufactureres, skip manufacturers etc) in their quiet times.

Do you have any pictures or other sales details ?

For example this Skip-Building company manufactured NB's in Wales (Cefn-y-Bedd) 

Screenshot (56).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you sure it was built by a company called Celtic Narrowboats, could it have been fitted out (furniture kitchen etc) by someone called  "Celtic".

I must admit to not having heard of a 'builder' by that name, and Google brings up nothing useful, and it appears that there has never been a company called Celtic Narrowboats. registered with Companies house.

Quite a few NB's are built by Steel fabricators (water tank manufactureres, skip manufacturers etc) in their quiet times.

Do you have any pictures or other sales details ?

Well there are 26 of them listed on Canal Planner

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well there are 26 of them listed on Canal Planner

I checked there as well, there certainly a large number 'named' with Celtic in the name, but doing a search by manufacturer only came up with one.

What search parameters are you using ?

Screenshot (57).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I checked there as well, there certainly a large number 'named' with Celtic in the name, but doing a search by manufacturer only came up with one.

What search parameters are you using ?

Screenshot (57).png

I just put the word Celtic in as the builder

thanks for the responses, i was hoping someone on here my have owned one

there does not seem to be much information out there!

we only have the owners description so far, as unable to visit the boat due to covid,  

apparently they are a where a welsh boat builder, the boat is on the mon & brec canal and he said it was a local builder

10 minutes ago, James the Scarlet said:

thanks for the responses, i was hoping someone on here my have owned one

there does not seem to be much information out there!

we only have the owners description so far, as unable to visit the boat due to covid,  

apparently they are a where a welsh boat builder, the boat is on the mon & brec canal and he said it was a local builder

Just check on the boat beam - quote a few boats built for the Mon & Brec are 'oversize' for the rest of the system.

Particularly if it was a local builder who had built other boats for the Mon & Brec.

There was a small builder called Richard Evens, who named his boats with a Celtic theme “Celtic Lady” and “Celtic Pride” took one to Crick a few years ago, both built with a Jonathan Wilson shell and Phil Speight sign writing,  said he built over 100 boats in his time. The two I seen him build were nice boats. Maybe the builder of your boat?

Edited by PD1964

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I have a boat built by Celtic boat builder .  it's ex red line boat hire . I've been told that it was built for the Mon and brec canal it has a v hull .that's as much as I can help you with and that mine is a well built boat 

Most of the early Cambrian Cruisers boats were built by Celtic, including my first boat, also 42 ft,  which I sold about 7 years ago, to buy a slighly larger ex-Cambrian. They were very well built and extremely well looked after by Cambrian. If you let me know the name I might know more about the boat you are looking at?