how often do you take your engine up to maximum revs?

jenevers

Featured Posts

On 22/11/2020 at 15:32, cuthound said:

Interesting, I have seen compressed air used to start diesels, but not to spool up the turbo. What a clever idea, assuming the engine starts before the compressed air runs out.

BT's (relatively inelegant) solution to the certain engines with poor load acceptance (specification was 70% load followed by another 40% within 15 seconds) was to start the engine at 1800 rpm (60Hz) and as it took load drop the governed speed to 1500 rpm (50Hz).

My Volvo V90 has PowerPulse. Compressed air fed into the turbocharger to spool it up quickly and improve initial acceleration. Very impressive until you discover that the air is pumped into a storage cylinder via a pipe which tends to burst. Technology, don't you just love it.?‍? 

Edited by Slim

15 hours ago, robtheplod said:

sounds interesting!!  I restored a mini about 10 years ago - Mini Equinox....

Back in 1973 and 74 I had a 970cc Austin Cooper S, which I prepared for stage rallying.

I had the shell seam welded to increase strength, fitted a roll.cage, had the holes in the front bulkhead plated to meet fire regs, overbored the block by 40 thou, bores honed, stage 2 head, fitted a "731 half race" cam, limited slip diff, hydraulic handbrake, sump guard etc.

End result was a 999cc engine producing about 100bhp in a car weighing under half a ton.

Soon realised I had neither the budget or the talent to be quick enough ?

Was an enjoyable experience though that taught me a lot about car control and left foot braking!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...