High temperature mastic

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

I have a Kabola E5 diesel boiler, and where the flue joins the main body the fire cement fillet has cracked and is loose. Do I just replace the fire cement fillet, or is there a better substance I could use?

Envirograf silicone comes in a tube. Great product. 1250 degrees.

Edited by mrsmelly

28 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Envirograf silicone comes in a tube. Great product. 1250 degrees.

I've found  Mapei Mapeflex Firestop 1200 degree mastic at Screwfix. Do you have any experience of that product, please? I have a branch of Screwfix nearby.

5 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

I've found  Mapei Mapeflex Firestop 1200 degree mastic at Screwfix. Do you have any experience of that product, please? I have a branch of Screwfix nearby.

Not personaly but that should do the job handsomely. It will flex ad never crack a once only job. Fire cement is deffo a thing of the past boat wise.

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Not personaly but that should do the job handsomely. It will flex ad never crack a once only job. Fire cement is deffo a thing of the past boat wise.

That's great. I'll get some of that Mapei stuff. Thanks to everyone who helped.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

That's great. I'll get some of that Mapei stuff. Thanks to everyone who helped.

Having just read the bumff on that one whilst it does say accomodates movement I would check wether it is as flexible as the high temp silicones which are ideal for boats.

The blurb describes it as making a rigid seal.  Several of the reviews report similar and one says it is more like cement than silicone.  Another suggests it is like grout.

I would stick to Envirograf.

That said, my Squirrel is sealed with Plumbaflue and that is lasting well.

N

• Greenie 1

Just a bit of a warning regarding Envirograf. I've used it successfully on my stove/flue joint twice now in 9 years.

On both occasions, the first time I lit the fire, (after a few days for the stuff to cure), the boat filled with smoke/fumes. The first time, me and the dog were taken by surprise, but got out pretty quick. The second time I was prepared so lit the firelighter, shut the door, and made a sharp exit.

Be prepared.