Eberspachers and Biodiesel

Up-Side-Down

Featured Posts

Synthetics may still be a way forward

Can green synthetic fuels save the internal combustion engine? | WIRED UK

Even if only EVs are on sale in 2030, half of the cars on our roads will still use internal combustion. The race is on to invest in efuel – carbon-neutral, synthetic hydrocarbons – ideal for the petrol guzzling motors that aren't going anywhere

A benefit of efuels is that their quality and compatibility means they can simply ‘drop in’ to the current fuel distribution network, be added to regular fuels and used by ICE vehicles and hybrids without any engine modifications. In fact, efuels run cleaner and better because they are purer, having only eight to ten elements, whereas crude-derived fuels have 30 to 40, and they start reducing in CO2 right away.

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

I see Shell are providing  HVO to commercial customers but with  different mix proportions of HVO to ordinary diesel but also an option  including 100% HVO. 

So dinosaur diesel and HVO can be mixed. 

HVO is 100% miscible. 

As far as current pricing of HVO goes, the picture looks like this:

Due to production costs and the usual supply/demand conundrum, the fuel is usually about £0.10/litre dearer than dino diesel. An IBC costs approximately £40 and the pallet charge that was incurred for it to be sent up to the Edinburgh area was £50. So I would have paid in the region of £0.78/litre net last Autumn. 

IWA are campaigning for some form of subsidy to achieve price parity with dino diesel and pushing for wider availability on the inland waterways. The first fuel boat – nb Barnet – selling HVO starts trading in the London area next month and it is already available from Stonebridge Marina, immediately north of Stonebridge Lock on the Lee & Stort.

For more on Sustainable Boating see CountryFile at 18.00 tonight (11th April).

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Synthetics may still be a way forward

Can green synthetic fuels save the internal combustion engine? | WIRED UK

Even if only EVs are on sale in 2030, half of the cars on our roads will still use internal combustion. The race is on to invest in efuel – carbon-neutral, synthetic hydrocarbons – ideal for the petrol guzzling motors that aren't going anywhere

A benefit of efuels is that their quality and compatibility means they can simply ‘drop in’ to the current fuel distribution network, be added to regular fuels and used by ICE vehicles and hybrids without any engine modifications. In fact, efuels run cleaner and better because they are purer, having only eight to ten elements, whereas crude-derived fuels have 30 to 40, and they start reducing in CO2 right away.

Yep, HVO is purer than dino diesel having no aromatics, minerals or sulphur content. This winter I've burnt 200 litres HVO on my Dickinson Adriatic with absolutely no deposits in the burner pot. I followed this with a similar amount of dino diesel and am having to clean out the burner every couple of months or so. I suppose the up side is that 20 years ago, with high sulphur diesel, I was having clean out the burner pot on at least a monthly basis

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Up-Side-Down said:

Yep, HVO is purer than dino diesel having no aromatics, minerals or sulphur content. This winter I've burnt 200 litres HVO on my Dickinson Adriatic with absolutely no deposits in the burner pot. I followed this with a similar amount of dino diesel and am having to clean out the burner every couple of months or so. I suppose the up side is that 20 years ago, with high sulphur diesel, I was having clean out the burner pot on at least a monthly basis

Therefore  will an engine fed with HVO run cleaner and possibly get better fuel economy ?

On 11/04/2021 at 15:07, MartynG said:

Therefore  will an engine fed with HVO run cleaner and possibly get better fuel economy ?

From my reading around the answer was no.  
HVO is less dense than diesel, so volumetrically you would expect worse fuel economy, however in terms of energy content or at least combustion efficiency it is better than diesel, so it balances out.  
One provider suggested worse fuel economy, but that you remain burning less hydrocarbons. The "Green D" brand HVO that seems to be the main source, claimed no change in fuel economy. And I think that's what fleet operators have reported. I imagine @Up-Side-Down might know more of the technicalities.  

I'm interested in tracking my fuel economy change, but measuring volumes is proving fairly hard compared to dispensing from a metered fuel pump, and obviously in a road-going vehicle there are a lot of variables that effect fuel consumption compared to marine use. 

6 minutes ago, cjeam said:

From my reading around the answer was no.  
HVO is less dense than diesel, so volumetrically you would expect worse fuel economy, however in terms of energy content or at least combustion efficiency it is better than diesel, so it balances out.  
One provider suggested worse fuel economy, but that you remain burning less hydrocarbons. The "Green D" brand HVO that seems to be the main source, claimed no change in fuel economy. And I think that's what fleet operators have reported. I imagine @Up-Side-Down might know more of the technicalities.  

I'm interested in tracking my fuel economy change, but measuring volumes is proving fairly hard compared to dispensing from a metered fuel pump, and obviously in a road-going vehicle there are a lot of variables that effect fuel consumption compared to marine use. 

In a recent a Land & Water trial with a 24 tonne swing shovel, they recorded a 10% improvement in fuel consumption and a 10% reduction in NoX. This was Crown Oil HVO so no organic additives as with Green D+. Interestingly enough, in HVO trials in a Class 66 freight diesel locomotive, a 5% increase in fuel consumption was recorded. I had to ask the reason for this as I couldn't work it out but the answer is in fact simple: it's a 2-stroke engine!

• Greenie 1