Cold wash

Jim Wortelhock

Featured Posts

We are in the second week living aboard. One thing is puzzling us regarding the Candy T1000 3.5kg washing machine. Despite trying different settings including the symbol marked as a tap, we are unable to do a cold wash.

Once away from the marina,  heating the water will drain the batteries. 

11 minutes ago, Jim Wortelhock said:

We are in the second week living aboard. One thing is puzzling us regarding the Candy T1000 3.5kg washing machine. Despite trying different settings including the symbol marked as a tap, we are unable to do a cold wash.

Once away from the marina,  heating the water will drain the batteries. 

If you run your engine while the washing machine is at work, doesn't that keep the batteries charged?

If you look at the manual here
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/24229/Candy-Aquamatic-Aqua-1000-T.html#

and search on "Cold" one result says on page 8

"example, an intense cotton cycle can be 40 washed in cold water simply by moving the dial to the tap symbol"

So it looks like the answer is yes, you can do a cold wash just as you thought.

You could also think about putting a thermostatic valve into the supply so that the machine receives already warmed water from the boats hot supply (calorifier) and does not then use much electricity to heat the water with the machine's element. One downside is that rinses are then done in warm water not cold.  Other people simply pour hot water into the machine at the start of the cycle.

We have a manual two way valve that allows us to feed either cold or hot water into our Candy washing machine. We put it to the hot position for the initial fill and then move it to the cold position before the rinses start. The grey water outflow can be easily seen from the steering position, and so we just move the valve across when we see the wash water coming out. Usually takes about 16 minutes with our machine. We only use the washer when we're under way.

image.png.758bf141908fee8c76f6e7937ef9b891.png

Washing m/c connects to lower port.

Edited by Mike55
Added diagram

Thanks everyone.  I found the problem. Our hot and cold water pipes at the back of the machine are mis labelled! I have nowswapped them over. Looks like the previous owners have been rinsing as well as washing with hot water. 

I will take your advice and switch between hot and cold fill during the cycle. 

2 hours ago, alistair1537 said:

Or you could disconnect the heating element...every wash is a cold wash.

Except that if you are doing a wash with the temp set above cold the machine will just sit there until Armageddon happens  as the controller checks the heater is on .

5 hours ago, Loddon said:

Except that if you are doing a wash with the temp set above cold the machine will just sit there until Armageddon happens  as the controller checks the heater is on .

Not necessarily. I had a heater element fail and I only realised because washes were taking half an hour longer than usual i.e. some washing machines will wait hopefully for a while for something to raise their temperature and then carry on anyway - reminds me of my first 'date' when I ended up seeing the film on my own!

We have a short length of hose. Connect to galley hot tap, when there’s hot water of course, and fill the washer that way. We judge how much very hot water mixed with cold water to get a reasonable temperature. Saves the heating element taking all the power from the batteries. Just a thought.