Small motorboat on canal

SKIDDERWOLF

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, SKIDDERWOLF said:

Hi all, I have a small motorboat 3hp that I wish to use on the canals. Assuming I have the license purchased and insurance is it just a case of turning up, launching the boat and off I go? My boat is only a 10ft fibreglass deal so I can pretty much launch from anywhere. 

Basicaly yes. There are plenty of places such a small craft can be launched, some free and some with a charge. If its on CART waters which is much of the canal system it may also need a BSS a sort of boat mot which is easy to obtain. Usualy you will need the BSS first before you can buy the licence.

1 hour ago, SKIDDERWOLF said:

Hi all, I have a small motorboat 3hp that I wish to use on the canals. Assuming I have the license purchased and insurance is it just a case of turning up, launching the boat and off I go? My boat is only a 10ft fibreglass deal so I can pretty much launch from anywhere. 

An open boat doesn't need a BSS.If it has a cabin it does.

As far as I am aware,launching onto CRT waters from the towpath is not allowed.Launching from a boatyard or marina ramp will invariably attract a charge.

I know paddleboards,canoes and inflatables are launched from the towpath,but a powered boat,perhaps you need to contact CRT for clarification.

6 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

As far as I am aware,launching onto CRT waters from the towpath is not allowed.Launching from a boatyard or marina ramp will invariably attract a charge.

I know paddleboards,canoes and inflatables are launched from the towpath,but a powered boat,perhaps you need to contact CRT for clarification.

Could you give a reference for that - I've never heard it before, and if it's true I've honoured it in the breach rather than the observance? 

30 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Could you give a reference for that - I've never heard it before, and if it's true I've honoured it in the breach rather than the observance? 

I have certainly read on either BW or C&RT website that unless launching from a recognised / authorised location (slipway, marine etc) then you need BW / C&RT permission.

It was some time ago and may take some finding - from memory it was saying something to the effect of "don't think you can just drop your boat in anywhere you like".

37 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Afraid not.I was told this by the marina manager where I am moored.

We were discussing bigger trailerable boats at the time.

At a guess,I would think that if there was any possibility of danger to the public,launching from the towpath,then CRT would not allow it.

If a small boat can be carried to a launch site by one or two people,then I think that would be ok.

If it could only be launched from a trailer ,then that may be a potential danger to the public.

Launching from private land where there is no danger to the public may well be ok too.

2 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

At a guess,I would think that if there was any possibility of danger to the public,launching from the towpath,then CRT would not allow it.

If a small boat can be carried to a launch site by one or two people,then I think that would be ok.

If it could only be launched from a trailer ,then that may be a potential danger to the public.

Launching from private land where there is no danger to the public may well be ok too.

I think that's relevant - getting a trailer (even a break-back) onto the towpath is hazardous. 

For even bigger boats, CRT are going to want to know the boat is registered etc before it is lowered in

That said, I have been looking for such a regulation and can't find it, but that certainly doesn't mean it doesn't exist, and for any boat that can't be carried by one or two people, or must be trailed, it would be a very wise regulation

I seem to remember being told several years ago that the boatyard at Acton Bridge  were "tasked" by BW with relieving anyone who wanted to launch their boat at the bridge there of the licence money. Apparently it was quite a popular place to put a boat in the water because of the proximity of a major road and a car park.

haggis

Last year we were heading to the water point at Botany Bay and saw a small moment tor boat approaching at high speed. It was a bloke showing off to his partner. He slowed when he saw us but when we entered the turbulence he had created it was like being at sea and went on for a considerable distance. When we arrived at the waterpoint his car and trailer were left blocking the slipway. I’m sure all motorboat owners aren’t plonkers but this one was.

2 hours ago, dor said:

CRT seem to be reducing the free slipways around the system. Calveley on the Shroppie is one example where the slipway has been shut off. I believe they cited H&S as the reason.

There is a slipway on the HNC at lock 24E,but it has been chained across and padlocked for years.

27 minutes ago, Ianws said:

Last year we were heading to the water point at Botany Bay and saw a small moment tor boat approaching at high speed. It was a bloke showing off to his partner. He slowed when he saw us but when we entered the turbulence he had created it was like being at sea and went on for a considerable distance. When we arrived at the waterpoint his car and trailer were left blocking the slipway. I’m sure all motorboat owners aren’t plonkers but this one was.

Many years ago I saw a similar plonker reverse his Range Rover down the slipway by Putney Bridge and launch his flashy speedboat.  He proceeded to show off with lots of high speed turns to try and impress his partner before speeding off up the river.  He returned a couple of hours later, no doubt pleased to see the assembled crowd.

The crowd were suitably pleased when it became apparent that he finally spotted his car,   With the water just lapping the bottom of the windows.

The Thames is, of course, tidal...

• Haha 2

We were moored at Devils Garden on the Weaver with about 10 other boats as part of an IWA  cruise a couple of months ago. As the moorings were "tight " Iain had moored Kelpie with the front end against the bank and the stern sitting out several feet where the cows come down to drink and the ground is pretty muddy. A chap and his girlfriend arrived with a small boat which they wanted to launch where our stern was. Iain , being a helpful guy, untied our  stern and pushed it out onto the river. I asked the guy when he was coming back to be told "in several hours" . I pointed out that we would be in bed and would not be able to move Kelpie to let him in. He came back later and took the vehicle and trailer away so we assume he retrieved the boat elsewhere. It was obviously a regular occurrance launching and retrieving there as the ground was even muddier than usual. 

Haggis

5 hours ago, SKIDDERWOLF said:

Ive just been on the CRT chat and asked this question. They advise against launching from the towpath. Now I did specify that I had a small 10ft boat so it can be carried.  I found their online chat to be a great help.  

Not used it myself, found it difficult to contact anyone who knows anything about boats.

Not sure why you should be advised against launching  such a small craft, does this apply to canoes?

Edited by LadyG

5 hours ago, SKIDDERWOLF said:

Ive just been on the CRT chat and asked this question. They advise against launching from the towpath. Now I did specify that I had a small 10ft boat so it can be carried.  I found their online chat to be a great help.  

29 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Not used it myself, found it difficult to contact anyone who knows anything about boats.

Not sure why you should be advised against launching  such a small craft, does this apply to canoes?

It worries me - there isn't really any other way of launching a small boat, and if restricted to non- towpath locations that takes most of the advantages (and quite a slice of the network) away. Slipways, the few that are available, work well with a trailer but are a pain if a boat is being carried. 

44 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

They have installed special launching places for them

Are those special places called lock landings?

I wuld have thought they are ideal, rather than transiting through locks. Best bet is to use email, then you have real evidence', not just casual opinion from someone in a call centre who has never been near a canal, never mind answer a telephone survey.

Most folks are pretty wary of cold calling, 'surveys', aka double glazing sales enquiries.

Edited by LadyG

3 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

There is a slipway on the HNC at lock 24E,but it has been chained across and padlocked for years.

i always figured that had more to do with the amount of traffic on there for all the businesses in the old mill and needing to be a through road to get over the bridge etc.

that and CRT always claiming its unstable, too unstable to moor a boat on the rings, but stable enough to drive all manner of vehicles on

11 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

i always figured that had more to do with the amount of traffic on there for all the businesses in the old mill and needing to be a through road to get over the bridge etc.

that and CRT always claiming its unstable, too unstable to moor a boat on the rings, but stable enough to drive all manner of vehicles on

You are probably right .It's proximity to lots of traffic has probably caused CRT to close it for health and safety reasons.

18 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

I know that the OP's boat is powered but CaRT define the 'portable' bit of 'portable unpowered' in a similar way, something along the lines of if the normal crew can launch and retrieve it without mechanical assistance (trailer / hoist etc) then it's fine. Even just a ten feet long GRP dinghy would I imagine be getting on for some weight where even a couple of people would struggle to carry it any distance. A ten foot inflatable on the other hand could be inflated at the side and kicked in. Either way, with a 3hp on the back you won't be holding anyone up (I move my 19ft with a 5hp or 3.3hp)

20 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

An open boat powered by a petrol outboard does not need a BSC. But I believe if powered by an electric outboard it does, as it has an "electrical system" on board (but it does then qualify for the electric boat licence discount).

1 hour ago, BilgePump said:

I know that the OP's boat is powered but CaRT define the 'portable' bit of 'portable unpowered' in a similar way, something along the lines of if the normal crew can launch and retrieve it without mechanical assistance (trailer / hoist etc) then it's fine. Even just a ten feet long GRP dinghy would I imagine be getting on for some weight where even a couple of people would struggle to carry it any distance. A ten foot inflatable on the other hand could be inflated at the side and kicked in. Either way, with a 3hp on the back you won't be holding anyone up (I move my 19ft with a 5hp or 3.3hp)

I've an 8 foot Tabur Yak in the garage - two people can lift it off a roof rack and carry it to the water fairly easily. 

It was carried round locks on the Chelmer and Blackwater as the licence didn't permit us to use them