Poor wifi signal in marina.

sailor0500

Featured Posts

Since I moved berths my marina wifi has been poor to non existant. I put this down to the fact that I am further from the signal and have several boats between me and the mast. I think I need an external antenae to bring the signal into the boat and connect to my desktop. Am I correct and any reasonable priced recommendations please.

45 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

you'd need some sort of repeater, aerials are usually to get commercial 4G signal to your own router/dongle and not marina WiFi inside the boat.

is scuttling your neighbours an option? :D 

unfortunately my nieghbors are very nice people so sinking thier boat not an option.

29 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Do you mean the Marina WiFi or your own MiFi ?

I have a large aerial suitable for 2.4ghz WiFi but no receiver, used to work well in the days of free WiFi ;)

I am meaning free wifi provided by the marina.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to move back to where you had good Wi-Fi?  Maybe if you spoke to the Marina to alert them of the deadspot they might help as presume the the WiFi is part of the service you're paying for?

Edited by robtheplod

48 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

if you pop your phone onto the wifi and step outside can it pickup the wifi ok?  just seeing if there is wifi to be had.....

I am one of those heratics who dont use a smartphone. Just been playing around with changing my desktop location and if i put the screen in front of the galley window I get a good signal. Just not very practical to use it there!

3 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Wouldn't it be cheaper to move back to where you had good Wi-Fi?  Maybe if you spoke to the Marina to alert them of the deadspot they might help as presume the the WiFi is part of the service you're paying for?

That would make sense to me, though wonder whether the WiFi is provided as a free/complimentary service (as is often the case in hotels fora instance, I find).

Edited by Ewan123

Just now, sailor0500 said:

I am one of those heratics who dont use a smartphone. Just been playing around with changing my desktop location and if i put the screen in front of the galley window I get a good signal. Just not very practical to use it there!

what about turning your boat around, would that improve it?  just thinking of ways without any cost...

4 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

The marina has contacted the company which contracts for the wifi as I am not the only one experiencing the problem. They are supposed to be sending an engineer but that was 10 days go.

7 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

I would but this is a much nicer berth and the old berth is very badly silted up making it difficult to get in and out.

6 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

what about turning your boat around, would that improve it?  just thinking of ways without any cost...

I though of that so tried moving desktop to other end of boat but it was no better.

11 minutes ago, Midnight said:

I use one of these and it's brilliant. Same situation as the OP moved berth further away from wifi - it's no problem now

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/25246-solwise-wl-patriot-usb/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr4KH3ZmM7QIVj7myCh1fsQ0BEAQYAiABEgLk0fD_BwE

That looks like the business and reasonable price too. Thanks.

1 hour ago, sailor0500 said:

Since I moved berths my marina wifi has been poor to non existant. I put this down to the fact that I am further from the signal and have several boats between me and the mast. I think I need an external antenae to bring the signal into the boat and connect to my desktop. Am I correct and any reasonable priced recommendations please.

I use one similar to this on my laptop/desktop and it works well.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WiFi-Outdoor-2-4Ghz-Antenna-Aerial-Signal-Booster-Laptop-Computer-USB-Powered/264506858490?hash=item3d95d65bfa:g:57sAAOSwdpRfskTL

3 hours ago, sailor0500 said:

unfortunately my nieghbors are very nice people so sinking thier boat not an option.

I am meaning free wifi provided by the marina.

I have an aerial/receiver laying in the garage. I use to use it when I had  BT broadband at home and picked yo the BT hotspots around the system, it has a lead and usb connector so can only be used on one computer. Where abouts are you

2 hours ago, Flyboy said:

That looks directional which would be good for moored in a marina.

1 hour ago, Martin R said:

I have the WiFi booster and router for sale, just needs the external antenna, it was purchased from WiFi onboard.

I have an external antenna could be for sale

Like this

https://www.wifi-antennas.co.uk/15dbi-2-4ghz-omni-antenna-n-type

These people are good for wifi extensions

https://www.wifi-antennas.co.uk/wifi-extending-kits

Edited by Loddon

• 2 weeks later...

Damn:angry:

Wish I'd picked up on this topic a few days ago. I had one of these aerials but it went belly up just before lockdown. I think water got into the works. Not knowing any details, model number etc (it's on the boat) I looked around and found the Solwise Patriot. It arrived a couple of days ago. It cost me £45.  Damn :angry: 

If all you want is the marina wifi on a PC, ie you don’t want to connect phones and tablets to it, then the simplest is an external USB Wi-fi adapter to plug in the PC.  I used one when I was working for the marina Wi-fi.

something like this is an example, the one I have is a flat plate antenna, so in theory is directional

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000M-1500M-Long-Range-Wireless-USB-2-0-External-Antenna-WiFi-Receiver-Adapter/303621483587

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

If all you want is the marina wifi on a PC, ie you don’t want to connect phones and tablets to it, then the simplest is an external USB Wi-fi adapter to plug in the PC.  I used one when I was working for the marina Wi-fi.

something like this is an example, the one I have is a flat plate antenna, so in theory is directional

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000M-1500M-Long-Range-Wireless-USB-2-0-External-Antenna-WiFi-Receiver-Adapter/303621483587

Thats the same as the one in my link but I paid £16