Stove Replacement Issues

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

All these pictures of immaculate stoves and surrounds - not a speck of ash or dirt.  Should I feel ashamed, or just assume they're never lit?  ?

You can't actually light them, what might the insurance say ? ?

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Googling finds absolutely no reference to BSI approval of the Portway Marine Stove, and this is not mentioned in the manufacturer's brochure (2018) or on the couple of dealer websites I looked at.

The Marine stove isn't shown on the Portway website or 2020 brochure, although I did find a 2018 brochure with it in. So is it still available? The 2018 brochure shows it carries a CE mark, but it does not have the other approvals that their other stove models have.

My guess is that it was a trial product for a niche market that didn't justify the cost of putting through the full certification process, and may well have been discontinued or is only available to special order.

https://www.stovesupermarket.co.uk/products/portway-marine-multi-fuel-wood-burning-stove?variant=32276016496721&currency=GBP&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google+shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAzNj9BRBDEiwAPsL0d_iGEGD0zTiONdASn5aG_sVYdVrlN8axniAcmgxZnrUejo8Vr-PlRRoCMQ8QAvD_BwE

And even has a price

Googling finds absolutely no reference to BSI approval of the Portway Marine Stove, and this is not mentioned in the manufacturer's brochure (2018) or on the couple of dealer websites I looked at.

The Marine stove isn't shown on the Portway website or 2020 brochure, although I did find a 2018 brochure with it in. So is it still available? The 2018 brochure shows it carries a CE mark, but it does not have the other approvals that their other stove models have.

My guess is that it was a trial product for a niche market that didn't justify the cost of putting through the full certification process, and may well have been discontinued or is only available to special order.

https://www.stovesupermarket.co.uk/products/portway-marine-multi-fuel-wood-burning-stove?variant=32276016496721&currency=GBP&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google+shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAzNj9BRBDEiwAPsL0d_iGEGD0zTiONdASn5aG_sVYdVrlN8axniAcmgxZnrUejo8Vr-PlRRoCMQ8QAvD_BwE

And even has a price and the British standard number

And even has a price and the British standard number

19 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I'm sure you noticed (although others may not have), that the BS quoted is actually related to :

Code of Practice for the Installation of Solid Fuel Heating and Cooking Appliances in Small Craft according to British Standard BS 8511:2010. 

The specification informs how the stove must be installed, not how the stove must be manufactured, work, or, perform.

It should also be noted that the BS is 'advisory' and there is no compulsion to comply (but is is 'obviously 'Best Practice')

These sort of statements are very carefully written by Marketing people, and whilst truthfull can be misread as meaning something else.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

4 hours ago, andybarrett1 said:

Thank you all for your words ..

Hunting a solution is still very much in progress.

I really don't want to move the stove unless totally bullied into it by the regs (Guidance)

A solution might be to fit a smaller stove and refurb the hearth !

Thank you again

Andy

You may be able to find someone else to fit what you want.  

I don't know if you have seen this from https://www.reveriecanaltradingco.co.uk/past-works.html

1080x1080.jpg?1604331290

Edited by ditchcrawler

11 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Even if you say it three times, it says nothing about the stove being approved by BSI, simply that it has been designed and manufactured to meet a standard.

Lots of products are manufactured to a standard. Few are "approved" by BSI.

And, (as in post#28) the specification quoted is nothing to do with the 'stove' it is how stoves should be installed in a boat.

Just now, Tonka said:

Not sure why it put it 3 times that was not my intention. Still more approved then a salamander

No it isn't. The stove is not approved.

Why, so often, do people insist on raising their stoves? Ive never understood or liked it. The only reason I can think of is to use less flue length, I know I had to get one welded to length for my recent boat, the "standard" lengths supplied weren't long enough, so I guess a length gets cut into 3 or whatever, to suit most raised stoves. Or perhaps its to save backs?

I'd rather keep the heat at least starting as low as possible,  and not have a something to trip over if not set in the bow corner. 

1 hour ago, Ally said:

Why, so often, do people insist on raising their stoves? Ive never understood or liked it. The only reason I can think of is to use less flue length, I know I had to get one welded to length for my recent boat, the "standard" lengths supplied weren't long enough, so I guess a length gets cut into 3 or whatever, to suit most raised stoves. Or perhaps its to save backs?

I'd rather keep the heat at least starting as low as possible,  and not have a something to trip over if not set in the bow corner. 

And also have a longer flue for better draw

• Greenie 1