Hydro Generators

SCL

Featured Posts

I was reading about the phasing out of petrol cars and it got me thinking re Boating options.  Solar has developed a lot I know but are hydro generators an option at all? Does anyone use them? Must be some way to use the friction a boat creates. Or perhaps a stupid question...

9 minutes ago, SCL said:

I was reading about the phasing out of petrol cars and it got me thinking re Boating options.  Solar has developed a lot I know but are hydro generators an option at all? Does anyone use them? Must be some way to use the friction a boat creates. Or perhaps a stupid question...

There have been several installed by C&RT in weirs and lock by-washes but I doubt that the energy produced by a 'boat sized' model would even recover the extra fuel needed to overcome the friction / resistance the the generator.

Yachts do use water powered generators which can be converted (lifted and the prop changed) to wind generators when anchored up. They don't produce a great deal, but the wind is free !

https://eclectic-energy.co.uk/products/duogen/

Eclectic Energy Sail-Gen Towed Water Generator

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

12 hours ago, SCL said:

I remember a boat that used to be moored on the Kennet in Reading that had a washing machine drum attached to the side that acted as a water wheel and drove an alternator.

Keith

3 hours ago, jonesthenuke said:

I would like a hydro generator in the by wash where we moor, but I suspect CRT would object and make it uneconomic by charging for use of the water etc.

Has anyone tried to do this?

Not tried it,but given it some thought as I am thinking of electric propulsion for my little cruiser.There's not enough area to fit much solar,so I am thinking along the lines of a hydro generator in the bywash of a lock when moored up for the night.

There will be problems I am sure,as the bywash will not always be in a convienient place.

A sculling oar might be more practical for my boat when I run out of leccy.

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

Not tried it,but given it some thought as I am thinking of electric propulsion for my little cruiser.There's not enough area to fit much solar,so I am thinking along the lines of a hydro generator in the bywash of a lock when moored up for the night.

Presumably with a long enough cable to the boat that you don't have to moor on the lock landing to use it? ?

Edited by tehmarks

47 minutes ago, tehmarks said:

Presumably with a long enough cable to the boat that you don't have to moor on the lock landing to use it? ?

If the generator is producing 12v, there will be nothing left to come out of it if it is more than a few metres to the boat.

If it is (say) 1.5mm2 cable and it is 100 metres from the 'weir' to the boat then with 12v 'going in' there would only be (depending on current) between 7 and 9v 'coming out' because of volt drop.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

35 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If the generator is producing 12v, there will be nothing left to come out of it if it is more than a few metres to the boat.

If it is (say) 1.5mm2 cable and it is 100 metres from the 'weir' to the boat then with 12v 'going in' there would only be (depending on current) between 7 and 9v 'coming out' because of volt drop.

He could stand the battery by the bywash and put it back on the boat in the mooring. Thinking about it, if he took the battery off when he stops it wont discharge anyway, so he could save the cost of the generator

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes, I agree.It could turn out to be more trouble than it's worth,but it is only a thought.

As for humping heavy batteries around;  no.

There might be some merit in my other idea of having a days excersise with a sculling oar while the solar does it's stuff.

40 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

He could stand the battery by the bywash and put it back on the boat in the mooring. Thinking about it, if he took the battery off when he stops it wont discharge anyway, so he could save the cost of the generator

Might be a bit o'kerd if he needed lights, or TV etc during the night.

1 minute ago, Mad Harold said:

There might be some merit in my other idea of having a days excersise with a sculling oar while the solar does it's stuff.

Now, if you are wanting exercise ............................

Pedal generator.jpg

58 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Might be a bit o'kerd if he needed lights, or TV etc during the night.

Now, if you are wanting exercise ............................

Pedal generator.jpg

I presume you mean the only excercise a gentleman should take.

I'm afraid that gave me up some time ago.