What is your hot water set up for a bath onboard?

Kristina

Featured Posts

59 minutes ago, Tacet said:

It was better than that; there was also a Primus type heater placed under the bath to raise the temperature further.  

In all probability it would have been a cast-iron tub, but I imagine it would still be prudent to extinguish the Primus before sitting.

I wonder what a BSS inspector would make of that!

On 17/11/2020 at 21:38, TheBiscuits said:

They work quite well as deep shower trays if you can drop them low enough.  No trap, stand it on the baseplate and insulate underneath it.  Add a folding shower screen and Bob's your mother's brother.

That is exactly the arrange we have.

Mrs Hound very occasionally enjoys a bath rather than a shower, usually on the day we are going to top up the water tank.

On 17/11/2020 at 23:12, dmr said:

Baths and boats don't go well together, just forget it and get a good shower. Not having a bath is the only downside of boat life, after a hard day locking a hot bath would be good. However a standard bath is not much good, a really good big corner bath is the only way to go for all sorts of reasons and these just don't work on a boat.

.................Dave

Our last shareboat had a corner bath, it also had a large integral tank at the bow. The corner bath looked great (but the dividing bulkhead was mirrored so you could admire yourself on the loo...) but used so much water that it was rarely used.

Edited by cuthound
To remove a letter masquerading as a space

19 hours ago, Richard Carter said:

Tom Rolt had what I always thought was a really neat idea on Cressy, which he describes in "Narrow Boat", where the raw engine cooling water outlet could be diverted to fill an external roof tank, which then filled the bath by gravity. Too many reasons why that wouldn't work nowadays, though. And they were probably happy with 1930s British style bathing, where sitting in 4 inches of tepid water were luxury ...

We've got a deck wash valve on t'other boat which produces warm raw water from the engine. I'd not thought of filling a bath from it, but knowing what goes into canals on the mainland I'd give it a miss.

16 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

That’s about it.

A bath works for a boat where the only source of hot water is an instantaneous gas water heater.

Problem is very few people want to run a bath every morning. I used the shower head attachment on the bath taps for a shower that was short sharp ordeal involving pot luck on the water temperature front. The rest of the family would not go near it. Hence the plan for a calorifer and a proper shower.

There are however folk who will tell you they have run a shower from an instantaneous water heater without problem.

Something to try if running a shower from an instantaneous water heater is having a cold tap running. If you can get the water pump to run continuously, then the shower temperature is controllable.

5 hours ago, Tacet said:

It was better than that; there was also a Primus type heater placed under the bath to raise the temperature further.  

In all probability it would have been a cast-iron tub, but I imagine it would still be prudent to extinguish the Primus before sitting.

Ah, thanks for this - my copy of Narrow Boat stayed in the UK when I left 18 years ago, so quoting from memory. Also now remember he installed the bath high enough to be able to drain it overboard by gravity.

3 hours ago, Richard Carter said:

Ah, thanks for this - my copy of Narrow Boat stayed in the UK when I left 18 years ago, so quoting from memory. Also now remember he installed the bath high enough to be able to drain it overboard by gravity.

That's the very least of the problems and easily fixed with a Whale Gulper or a 'proper' bilge pump.

I get very techy (shouldn't) when 'new' (to boating) folks want to translate bricks and mortar faclilities without change into a boating environment - bit without any real concept of how things work in the former environment.

- I've run out of the will to develop the subject  - 'cos The Management has put a lot more of The Amber Nectar into One's aperitiv that I can no longer think straight (thought tha might be an advantage in some environments).

Good evening all.....

On 17/11/2020 at 20:34, mrsmelly said:

When I fitted a new shell I wanted a bath so fitted a full size standard domestic bath with a shower fitting above and seperate controls. I fitted a large cauliflower heated via engine and my BIG mistake a diesel stove. Anyway we soon realised that we hardly ever used the bath as the shower was much quicker and obs used much less water. I now never have a bath on my boats and in fact nearly never use one if in one of those house things or hotel etc. I wouldnt thank you for one now, tis strange how views sometimes change on what you need on yer boat.

That's why I didn't fit a bath on my boat. Baths seem to be one of those impractical things that some women insist on before they'll agree to moving onto a boat. If you're lucky enough not to be with one of those women then best to avoid installing a bath.

• Greenie 2