Thoughts on this boat?

Misosoup

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I saw this boat the other day and really like the look of it: https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/springer-42-traditional/650418?id=650418#contactForm

For context: this would be my first boat. It's something I've been considering for a long time and I would continually cruise, mostly along the river lee at first. I was initially considering a widebeam (around 50 x 10) but my budget is kinda maxxed out at 40-45k, and a narrowboat might be more realistic for a novice like myself.

The boat does seem worryingly cheap (considering it's in London anyway) though I know Springers are not considered the best, and it is almost 30 years old...

Also a bit worried that it will need overplating which would probably cost around 9k, and I would want a survey done for peace of mind.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this? thank you for reading.

No information (or pictures) of the engine or electrics. Does it even have a working engine?

If this is to be a CC liveaboard then having a reliable engine will be essential. But so too will be a means of generating electricity. No solar panels, although these are more or less a must-have for living aboard in the summer months, although they will contribute b***er all in winter.

Space heating looks to be only from the stove - no central heating. How is the domestic water heated?

If the ad admits the hull needs plating then that probably means it is paper thin - and maybe uninsurable (other than third party only).

That said, the interior looks OK, so at that price it may be worth paying for overplating.

Out of water survey is essential, especially if you have no previous experience.

12 minutes ago, Misosoup said:

Hi all,

I saw this boat the other day and really like the look of it: https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/springer-42-traditional/650418?id=650418#contactForm

For context: this would be my first boat. It's something I've been considering for a long time and I would continually cruise, mostly along the river lee at first. I was initially considering a widebeam (around 50 x 10) but my budget is kinda maxxed out at 40-45k, and a narrowboat might be more realistic for a novice like myself.

The boat does seem worryingly cheap (considering it's in London anyway) though I know Springers are not considered the best, and it is almost 30 years old...

Also a bit worried that it will need overplating which would probably cost around 9k, and I would want a survey done for peace of mind.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this? thank you for reading.

I suggest keep looking.

If it needs overplating you are going to have a £27K Springer.

It's painted "London White"inside and is London priced.

There is no mention of an engine in the ad,I assume it's got one.

There seems to have been several posts from new boaters asking about cheap Springers and I am assuming the vendors are taking advantage of the current situation to unload otherwise unsaleable boats.

If a boat needs overplating it's worth £5K or less.

A 30 footer here needing a full overplate sold for £1000.

Hmm, my gut reaction is it is overpriced for a springer in need of overplating, and tlc outside. It looks like its been tarted up to sell, though maybe just tarted to live in, but done with some dubiousness (imo). Would be interested to know more about the essentials like engine etc, and see the engine space too. Personally I wouldnt go there, but I'm not a springer fan anyway, so biased! 

Keep looking. For the cost of survey, haul out and overplating plus anything else, (batteries, solar etc) you could easily find a better boat in your budget.

I do like Springers. But I'm surprised that, with that dreadful clinical interior, you would even consider it, quite apart from the valid points made above.

It is indeed strange that there is no mention of an engine.

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

I do like Springers. But I'm surprised that, with that dreadful clinical interior, you would even consider it, quite apart from the valid points made above.

I do like Springers.

Heavens knows why? I suppose they have an historic charm with their (in today's view) chunky Mecano look.

But I'm surprised that, with that dreadful clinical interior,

But dear boy that's what (it is said) folks want, a nice clear, plain interior that can be personalised in one's own style with no need to compromise around yesyerday's features

Not at all - who needs an engine in London - get whoever you are swapping with to tow you to the other destination and repeat. Or simply get a long line and some friends and use the TOWpath.

Who needs 'leccy, the street lights are bright enough and reflect off the brilliant white paint.

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I do like Springers.

Heavens knows why? I suppose they have an historic charm 

You've just answered your own question.

I have owned one and did like its styling and its remarkably good use of interior space.

3 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I do like Springers.

Heavens knows why? I suppose they have an historic charm with their (in today's view) chunky Mecano look.

i have a similar problem with those Dawncraft Highbridge's, i doubt i could bring myself to own one but there's just something appealing about their little faces :D 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

No information (or pictures) of the engine or electrics. Does it even have a working engine?

If this is to be a CC liveaboard then having a reliable engine will be essential. But so too will be a means of generating electricity. No solar panels, although these are more or less a must-have for living aboard in the summer months, although they will contribute b***er all in winter.

Space heating looks to be only from the stove - no central heating. How is the domestic water heated?

If the ad admits the hull needs plating then that probably means it is paper thin - and maybe uninsurable (other than third party only).

That said, the interior looks OK, so at that price it may be worth paying for overplating.

Out of water survey is essential, especially if you have no previous experience.

Thank you David. Yes I agree. Total lack of information and I did message the seller today for further information but no response yet.

And I agree, it would definitely require a survey! Will see what they respond but thanks again for your thoughts

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

I suggest keep looking.

If it needs overplating you are going to have a £27K Springer.

It's painted "London White"inside and is London priced.

There is no mention of an engine in the ad,I assume it's got one.

There seems to have been several posts from new boaters asking about cheap Springers and I am assuming the vendors are taking advantage of the current situation to unload otherwise unsaleable boats.

If a boat needs overplating it's worth £5K or less.

A 30 footer here needing a full overplate sold for £1000.

Great answer, thanks for the insight Mad.  You might be right on that note, and I did find it suspicious that the owner had to suddenly sell and move to another country, but it does of course happen. I just wasn't quite sure how desirable Springers are, I know some think they're good.

And yeah, I did think the white paint was horrible haha but would have been an easy fix

1 hour ago, booke23 said:

If you have a budget of £40k, I suggest you keep looking. 

£40k will get you a very nice boat with no major issues. That springer will be a money pit, and in the end it'll still be an old springer.

Thank you for the insight. To be fair, I don't think 40k would get me a widebeam in good condition, but helpful to know that I can probably do a lot better. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Ally said:

Hmm, my gut reaction is it is overpriced for a springer in need of overplating, and tlc outside. It looks like its been tarted up to sell, though maybe just tarted to live in, but done with some dubiousness (imo). Would be interested to know more about the essentials like engine etc, and see the engine space too. Personally I wouldnt go there, but I'm not a springer fan anyway, so biased! 

Keep looking. For the cost of survey, haul out and overplating plus anything else, (batteries, solar etc) you could easily find a better boat in your budget.

Thank you Ally. I was used to looking at mostly widebeams so I was clearly too bowled over by the price (and I do mostly like the interior, I thought it had potential). Good to know that given the condition it's actually overpriced for a Springer. Thank you!

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, Misosoup said:

To be fair, I don't think 40k would get me a widebeam in good condition,

You're quite right, I was referring to narrowboats. You'd probably need double that budget and to be looking outside London to find a reasonable widebeam. Good luck with the search!