Conversion

BD3Bill

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, IanD said:

OK, so a reduced-power series hybrid can be cost-competitive with a higher-power (same as diesel) parallel hybrid. Imagine my surprise... ?

On this basis, why do typical 57 foot narrowboats have engines like the Beta43 recommended, and installed in so many boats? According to your reasoning a Beta 25 should be fine, that has the same maximum power at the prop as a 15kW motor. Funnily enough, this is only recommended for much smaller boats...

[and don't bring up the "we didn't need this much power in the old days" trope, 1 bhp or kW is the same size as it always was -- are you suggesting that every single modern narrowboat is over-engined? or that "electric has more low-speed torque" -- true, but totally irrelevant for a boat when you look at the prop power curve]

(10kW Lynch is another red herring, already been said many times that only about 3kW is needed on still canals, that's not when you need the power)

The situation is nothing like "self-charging cars" as I suspect you know very well, these are a tax fiddle to get a bit lower CO2 emissions in tests.

Either type of hybrid will comply with the rules from 2025, both are capable of zero-emission cruising, both need either solar/online charging or to run an onboard diesel to charge the batteries.

A good justification for a series hybrid could well be that in the far distant electric-only future all you do is remove the genset and you have an electric boat, with a parallel hybrid the engine needs removing. Whether now is the right time to buy one given the cost is another point, because right now all the components -- especially the batteries -- are expensive, so there's a big early-adopter penalty.

If you're really so bothered about cost (which you must be given that a small reduction in the license fee seems to be an obsession...) then the right thing to do is install a diesel now (not any kind of hybrid), and switch to all-electric (like you use now, but which won't work for many right now) in a few years when charging points exist and both the batteries and electrics are much cheaper, having had the cost driven down by cars.

I know you're a great fan of electric boats (as am I, for the future) but on this thread (and many others) you keep twisting the facts to make your case look better, ignoring inconvenient facts, and throwing up red herrings when challenged instead of answering difficult questions.

I'm not going to bother continuing arguing this with you, you're like an evangelist (or Donald Trump) who is so convinced they're right that they can't see anyone else's point of view and won't look at -- or distort -- the facts to suit their argument.

And before you accuse me of doing the same, facts is what every single one of my arguments are based on, and I'm always willing to change my mind if the facts change or new ones come to light which show I'm wrong. You're not ?

Bye.

Ricky isnt for saying how much his system costs I know how much the motor is however he doesnt want to give the also rans an idea of the way forward.

As for your beta 43 thats at 2800 rpm, given that most top out at 2000 rpm its more than likely nearer hi 20s and then their are the twin alternators and a hydraulic gearbox so maybe low 20s see how that horsepower gets eroded

• Greenie 1