sealine flybridge on the grand union!

thames s23

Featured Posts

I have been driving due to work near to Leighton Buzzard, and keep passing a section of the grand union that has a small looking boat yard in the distance. Although it was on the hard, and not in the actual water, I was very surprised to see what looks like a 36ft Sealine Flybridge sat there!

Anyone in the area know anything about it, as I suspect it didn't get there by water? It just seems strange to see that type of boat there

7 minutes ago, Detling said:

There is, or was a large yacht in Braunston a few years ago it was full keel about 5 or 6 foot draft and a 45 foot mast. Even with the mast down I think they would have difficulty floating in the canal.

They are built there by Peter Nichols

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Detling said:

There is, or was a large yacht in Braunston a few years ago it was full keel about 5 or 6 foot draft and a 45 foot mast. Even with the mast down I think they would have difficulty floating in the canal.

5 minutes ago, Tonka said:

They are built there by Peter Nichols

Huffler 45/40? Very versatile boats...

spacer.png

22 minutes ago, Detling said:

Similarly there used to be a huge thing as Streethay Wharf, right next to the dual carriageway.

1 hour ago, Bacchus said:

Huffler 45/40? Very versatile boats...

spacer.png

We seriously contemplated buying one as a liveaboard.

Contacted peter nichols asking for basic info such as 'how do you lower and raise the mast?' Got a complete brush-off, they were not interested.

Two on the market that I know of. Selling for tuppence, compared to the build cost. 

A nod from someone who has a friend who owned one said that they sailed like a dog. 

Sad, because the concept is really good. 

If 90 grand is cheap for an 11 year old one with some issues I wonder how much they cost new? 

Seems rather expensive to me. It would want to be a very well designed boat to get that sort of money..

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/Sailboats/peter-nicholls-steel-huffler-40-/238958

Are we talking £250k? For a 40 footer? 

Edited by magnetman

Just now, magnetman said:

If 90 grand is cheap for an 11 year old one with some issues I wonder how much they cost new? 

Seems rather expensive to me. It would want to be a very well designed boat to get that sort of money..

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/Sailboats/peter-nicholls-steel-huffler-40-/238958

As far as I can tell, the sellers paid something like 250k for that boat.

That Huffler boat is a motor sailer, a compromise with bilge keels for directionl stability when beating. They are usually sluggish under sail, Most folk who own such boats rarely use the sails, but motor everywhere or just sit on em going nowhere drinking tea,

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, magnetman said:

Are we talking £250k? For a 40 footer? 

The advert says it is unused , which would be  a remarkable  find if the interior is as new,

Sounds like the exterior needs repainting and this would not be cheap if done professionally.

The following from youtube suggests it has been for sale since Feb 2017 which does indicate  it is somewhat over priced . You can buy a proper 11 years old  40ft  yacht for that sort of money.