Plumber needed! Uxbridge

Kismet

Featured Posts

Hello,

I have tried to install my own shower and after a year of trying I have now accepted defeat.. so now looking for a plumber to help me. Just wondering could I get any plumber to do this or are there plumbers who specifically work on canal boats? If so would anyone be able to recommend someone? I am in Uxbridge in a marina!

thanks in advance  

5 minutes ago, Kismet said:

Hello,

I have tried to install my own shower and after a year of trying I have now accepted defeat.. so now looking for a plumber to help me. Just wondering could I get any plumber to do this or are there plumbers who specifically work on canal boats? If so would anyone be able to recommend someone? I am in Uxbridge in a marina!

thanks in advance  

Most marinas have rules about emplying external contractors and will insist on seeing 3rd party insurance for £3 million or £5 million and, that they sign-in at reception / office before they are allowed to work in the marina.

Just a suggestion.

Find out what the marina requires of contractors and ensure anyone you employ meets it. It could save you embarrasment and cost.

43 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Most marinas have rules about emplying external contractors and will insist on seeing 3rd party insurance for £3 million or £5 million and, that they sign-in at reception / office before they are allowed to work in the marina.

Just a suggestion.

Find out what the marina requires of contractors and ensure anyone you employ meets it. It could save you embarrasment and cost.

Or take the boat out of the marina and do it on the tow path - assuming you can find space with vehicle access.  On second thoughts may be not.

First of all, many marinas will allow you, or an external tradesman, to work on your boat without their approval. I have never moored anywhere that did not allow it, so it is worth checking your contract with them.

Secondly you might try contacting Mike Bryant, who used to be a regular on here, his main  business is with heating boilers but he spends most of his time living on one of his boats so will certainly understand their vagaries. he is worth contacting, his base is in Berkshire , but he does travel quite widely. He has a website here:-  https://www.miketheboilerman.com/

Edited by David Schweizer

48 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Just a suggestion.

Why not ask at the marina if they already have an approved plumber who could do your job.

11 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

First of all, many marinas will allow you, or an external tradesman, to work on your boat without their approval. I have never moored anywhere that did not allow it, so it is worth checking your contract with them.

Every marina I have ever moored in has that stipulation - they often even require the contractor to pay for being allowed to work. They need to ensure that anyone working on boats has sufficient insurance cover to make good any damage to 'alongside' boats or marina infrastructure. Contractors doing 'hot work' are even more restricted.

Times are changing

Our Present T&C's Note 16:4

Screenshot (45).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield