Very, Very heavily discounted lifejacket prices

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

17 hours ago, Mike55 said:

Yes, I was going to do that too, however the most accurate scales we have are..... on the boat, so that too will have to wait until I can get to the boat.

I used to take mine into the local post office to get them weighed, their scales are accurate ?

• Greenie 1

Well Ive got both my lifejackets now...the first one had bobbins that were dated 2023 so very happy with that...interestingly the second one says the bobbin is dated 10/2019 on the outside wrapper....but when you check the unit itself its 10/2017! Im not complaining at all but I think someone doing the testing needs to check a bit better! 

Just for info they fit my OH who's a slim 5ft 4in 65kg and she says its more comfy than the existing 150N jackets we have.

All in all very happy indeed....and will be getting new bobbins before we go out boating next year!

6 minutes ago, frangar said:

but when you check the unit itself its 10/2017! Im not complaining at all but I think someone doing the testing needs to check a bit better! 

Mine were the same - but if you open up the lifejacket zip to get to the service record you will see that it was last serviced in 2019.

I've been told that the bobbin dates do not apply if they are stored in a vaccuum pack.

But, I have changed mine (the bobbins arrived yesterday).

8 minutes ago, frangar said:

Just for info they fit my OH who's a slim 5ft 4in 65kg and she says its more comfy than the existing 150N jackets we have.

Funny that - I find them heavier and more cumbersome than my 'sports' lifejackets', but SWBO says they 'rub her neck' less' than her 'sports' lfejacket.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Mine were the same - but if you open up the lifejacket zip to get to the service record you will see that it was last serviced in 2019.

I've been told that the bobbin dates do not apply if they are stored in a vaccuum pack.

The Outers do say when the bobbin and the lamp battery expires...the dates all tallied on the first unit but were different on the second....Ill be changing them as you have done but It was just a point of interest!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Different types of bobbin have different types of  dates, some are manufactured date and are use within 5 years some are use by dates.

From memory the small circular ones are manufactured date and the black cylindrical ones are use by dates.

Confusing it is.

16 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Different types of bobbin have different types of  dates, some are manufactured date and are use within 5 years some are use by dates.

From memory the small circular ones are manufactured date and the black cylindrical ones are use by dates.

Confusing it is.

And its too long ago for me to remember

51 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Confusing it is.

The UML ones on these are use by dates. 

I had a good look at the lifejacket, as far as I can see it is designed for abandon ship type scenarios in that one needs to be conscious to pull the toggles, so, I will wear it on the Trent , but probably stick to the auto-inflate type, on locks , I have two of these, but they both need new cylinders, one was corroded, and the other, I inadvertantly pulled the toggle, it released, just as well !

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I had a good look at the lifejacket, as far as I can see it is designed for abandon ship type scenarios in that one needs to be conscious to pull the toggles, so, I will wear it on the Trent , but probably stick to the auto-inflate type, on locks , I have two of these, but they both need new cylinders, one was corroded, and the other, I inadvertantly pulled the toggle, it released, just as well !

If you are on about the ones from the ad they are auto inflate......?

10 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Is this the twin bladder offshore ones that this posting was originally about or some other inflating life jacket. The Offshore helicopter transit lifejackets were manual inflating, you wouldn't want one blowing up while you are inside an inverted chopper

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Is this the twin bladder offshore ones that this posting was originally about or some other inflating life jacket. The Offshore helicopter transit lifejackets were manual inflating, you wouldn't want one blowing up while you are inside an inverted chopper

Yes, sorry it is, I bought one , it 's in excellent condition, only one crotch strap, but that's OK.

That will be the reason, but I think if you are upside down in a sinking 'copter in the North Sea, it's not going to make much difference.

The old fashioned foamKapok style must be too clumsy for regular use.

Edited by LadyG

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Yes, sorry it is, I bought one , it 's in excellent condition, only one crotch strap, but that's OK.

That will be the reason, but I think if you are upside down in a sinking 'copter in the North Sea, it's not going to make much difference.

The old fashioned foamKapok style must be too clumsy for regular use.

Both I’ve got are auto....have you actually checked the thimbles? 

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

Its a conspiracy to get rid of LadyG - sell her a dud-lifejacket.

Its a continuation of her bad-luck since she bought a NB

8 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Persons of the female persuasion should only need one strap.

16 minutes ago, frangar said:

I don't know what exactly these thimbles are, they have biggish black plastic cones under the gas bottle, there is a toggle that you pull to manually inflate, it's 'hinged' 

The photos show people wearing them with the toggles hanging out a good two inches, I've pushed mine up so they are less likely to get caught on something., they stick out , but they don't dangle.

I don't see anything about "automatic' inflation. 

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I don't know what exactly these thimbles are, they have biggish black plastic cones under the gas bottle, there is a toggle that you pull to manually inflate, it's 'hinged' 

The photos show people wearing them with the toggles hanging out a good two inches, I've pushed mine up so they are less likely to get caught on something., they stick out , but they don't dangle.

I don't see anything about "automatic' inflation. 

The “plastic cones” are the auto inflate mechanism or thimbles. They have an expiration date on them. The toggles are for manual inflation should a thimble fail or you need to inflate before you are in the water. Have a look on YouTube for life jacket videos. 

it’s a UML mk5i firing mechanism. 

Edited by frangar

7 minutes ago, frangar said:

The “plastic cones” are the auto inflate mechanism or thimbles. They have an expiration date on them. The toggles are for manual inflation should a thimble fail or you need to inflate before you are in the water.

I would have expected most qualified RYA Yachtmasters to already know this ...

• Horror 1

11 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I would have expected most qualified RYA Yachtmasters to already know this ...

My lifejackets were a different mechanism,

I checked on here 'cos it says nothing on the lifejacket, about auto inflation, the cartoon diagram  goes from fitting to inflated, nothing about immersion..

I would not use these lifejackets off shore, other than absndon ship scenarios. The more sporty type would be better, not sure about the southern ocean , there is mention of auto inflation occuring if you take a green wave., but that's not relevant here.

Edited by LadyG

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

My lifejackets were a different mechanism,

I checked on here 'cos it says nothing on the lifejacket, about inflation, the cartoon diagram  goes from fitting to inflated, nothing about immersion.

Can you post a photo of what you have, as I said the only ones I have come across are the ones used on helicopters that are only manual.

Edited by ditchcrawler