Very, Very heavily discounted lifejacket prices

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Can you post a photo of what you have, as I said the only ones I have come across are the ones used on helicopters that are only manual.

I think these cones otherwise called thimbles must be auto inflating, I just found it strange that it's not mentioned on the jacket anywhere. I need to look up the model name on the Crewsaver site.

There are some mechanisms where the thimbles are a separate piece.

I'm pretty sure I got the same as everyone else.

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think these cones ot thimbles must be auto inflating, I just found it strange that it's not mentioned on the jacket anywhere.

I think it’s assumed that most professional users know what they have and don’t need things spelt out to them.....

• Horror 1

26 minutes ago, frangar said:

Google UML mk5i......fairly standard firing mech used by lots of life jacket manufacturers 

She must be winding you (and all of us) up, no one could be that dense - I even posted pictures of the heads / bobbins and links to the supplier to get new dated ones.

Just because she is paranoid doesn't mean we aren't out to get her ..............................................

Edited by Alan de Enfield

25 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think these cones otherwise called thimbles must be auto inflating, I just found it strange that it's not mentioned on the jacket anywhere. I need to look up the model name on the Crewsaver site.

There are some mechanisms where the thimbles are a separate piece.

I'm pretty sure I got the same as everyone else.

All of the information you needed can be found in this thread, including a video of what happens when it auto inflates.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think these cones ot thimbles must be auto inflating, I just found it strange that it's not mentioned on the jacket anywhere.

Out of curiosity, I checked a couple of the life jackets I have. Where the bladder is printed, rather than having an attached bit of material with the specs on, the tick against "Automatic" is done by hand in what looks like Biro but was probably a permanent marker, whereas the rest are printed. 

Makes sense, as the bladder, cover and webbing unit only becomes automatic when the firing mechanism is added. 

These lifejackets are a great find @Alan de Enfield

Of you so wish, these type of lifejackets can easily be configured from automatic/manual to manual only operation (and back again) with this.  https://www.crew-safe.co.uk/acatalog/United-Moulders-Blanking-Cap.html#aB_2dCAP

It's a simple blanking cap that can be swapped in seconds. Personally I would only do this if I was using the lifejacket in an aircraft. 

Blanking Cap - Turn Automatic to Manual

1 hour ago, booke23 said:

These lifejackets are a great find @Alan de Enfield

Of you so wish, these type of lifejackets can easily be configured from automatic/manual to manual only operation (and back again) with this.  https://www.crew-safe.co.uk/acatalog/United-Moulders-Blanking-Cap.html#aB_2dCAP

It's a simple blanking cap that can be swapped in seconds. Personally I would only do this if I was using the lifejacket in an aircraft. 

Blanking Cap - Turn Automatic to Manual

Ales clar, 

They are obviously top of the range, as in top quality, and can be fitted with manual only or auto inflation  if immersed.

Wore mine today to get water, no longer pristine, but I will stuff the manual toggles in to the jackrt, unless just boating on the Trent in winter.

12 minutes ago, LadyG said:

They are obviously top of the range, as in top quality,

At around £300 each and MCA & SOLAS approved, one would hope they are 'top quality'.

A 150N New leisure lifejacket can be had for around £60 but you get waht you pay for as the bladder rots and the cover splits at the seams.

Been there, done that !!

When it involves your life get the best, and if its a bargain - even better.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

14 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

You've let yourself go a bit during lockdown, Brian! :giggles:

If only the beard was still that colour ?

29 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

At around £300 each and MCA & SOLAS approved, one would hope they are 'top quality'.

A 150N New leisure lifejacket can be had for around £60 but you get waht you pay for as the bladder rots and the cover splits at the seams.

Been there, done that !!

When it involves your life get the best, and if its a bargain - even better.

You should see what a bunch of hairy scaffolders working on the legs can do to one of those in a week. We had to have reinforced covers made for them.

• Greenie 1

On 26/11/2020 at 23:49, ditchcrawler said:

45 seconds in you can see the inflation valve for a manual jacket 

At least that one has a decent sized toggle. The few manual ones I look after just have the usual toggle as fitted to the auto. jackets, which , to me, is a bit of a hazard, as it could be difficult to grab with cold hands and after a sudden immersion.