Very, Very heavily discounted lifejacket prices

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

They look interesting. Have you actually ordered and received now? I was wondering how long the firing thimbles have left on them?  I’ve been in contact with the seller but I’m a bit wary of sending bank details in an email!  Call me a cynic....

Edited by frangar

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

They look interesting. Have you actually ordered and received now? I’ve been in contact with the seller but I’m a bit wary of sending bank details in an email!  Call me a cynic....

If you trust the seller, ask for their bank account & sort codes and transfer the money into their account using your name as the reference.  They can then send the goods you have paid for.

2 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

If you trust the seller, ask for their bank account & sort codes and transfer the money into their account using your name as the reference.  They can then send the goods you have paid for.

I sometimes send an irregular amount, and ask them how much they received, then send the balance.

Edited by LadyG

2 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

He has sent his bank details...I’m sure it’s all good but.....it’s the trust bit I’m always sceptical of! 

37 minutes ago, frangar said:

They look interesting. Have you actually ordered and received now? I was wondering how long the firing thimbles have left on them?  I’ve been in contact with the seller but I’m a bit wary of sending bank details in an email!  Call me a cynic....

He is happy to take Paypal therefore you are fully protected.

In the pic it show April 2023 as the expiry date.

The reason (generally) for replacement of the bobbins is that when stored in the open air the salt in the bobbins absorbs moisture and can either fall-out (meaning the pin self-fires) or become a solid block and stops the pin activating.

I still have one from him that I bought about 5 years ago and because it was vacuum packed the bobbin was as good as the day it was packed. I open it up every year for a service and this year did replace the bobbins as it had been out of the vacuum pack for 5 years.

The UML5i bobbins cost about £7 each (2 needed) and after checking the bladders you have a 'good' lifejacket for another 4 (?) years.

Edit to add : I have ordered one and should have it Monday / Tuesday. I have been sent the Parcel Force tracking number so it looks as if 'something' is in transit.

My previous orders have all arrived promtly and have been as advertised.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

26 minutes ago, frangar said:

I was wondering how long the firing thimbles have left on them?  

The bobbins will be replaceable .

If the lifejackets are vacuum packed  I would have thought they should have been very well protected so can go 5 years from opening the pack.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

They are 'big' (designed for offshore workers in full winter clothing) If she is petite I'd suggest it may be too bulky and heavy for her.

That thought had occurred to me. Very safe but not exactly lightweight. Tempting though at that price which is less than the cheapest new auto life jacket .

I've ordered one and just awaiting confirmation. What the hell, it's only £40. and it's worth that for the 275n over my existing 150 (I'm no lightweight). I still remember walking off a pontoon in Falmouth and it taking 4 hefty fellows to pull me out.

Alan, thanks for the tip off

Edited by Slim

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

The bobbins will be replaceable .

If the lifejackets are vacuum packed  I would have thought they should have been very well protected so can go 5 years from opening the pack.

That thought had occurred to me. Very safe but not exactly lightweight. Tempting though at that price which is less than the cheapest new auto life jacket .

I’ve replaced the bobbins as required on our existing lifejackets..and weighed the cylinders..and I realise they have been well stored but it’s still nice if they had a few years on them!! 

As has been said they are cheap enough and this type are readily available. 

Reminds me to check our lifejackets 

I think the bobbins may be due for replacement.

Talking of lifejackets ....

Reminds me of a friend who took his lifejacket (which he had been using for a couple of years and came with the boat) to a free RNLI inspection and found the cylinder had been fired and the jacket re-packed complete with the empty cylinder.

Another friend asked me to check their lifejackets and I found the cylinders were not fully tightened in place so they would not have fired or at least they would not have inflated the jackets and the mechanisms  were 5 years past their expiry date. 

I heard another where a lifejacket was bought from a chandlery and  found to have no cylinder - someone must have nicked the cylinder while it was on display in the shop!

10 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Reminds me to check our lifejackets 

I think the bobbins may be due for replacement.

Talking of lifejackets ....

Reminds me of a friend who took his lifejacket (which he had been using for a couple of years and came with the boat) to a free RNLI inspection and found the cylinder had been fired and the jacket re-packed complete with the empty cylinder.

Another friend asked me to check their lifejackets and I found the cylinders were not fully tightened in place so they would not have fired or at least they would not have inflated the jackets and the mechanisms  were 5 years past their expiry date. 

I heard another where a lifejacket was bought from a chandlery and  found to have no cylinder - someone must have nicked the cylinder while it was on display in the shop!

When I first started doing my own servicing I found that SWMBO's life jacket gas cartridge was empty. The 'bobbin' salt had hardened and bits had fallen out meaning the firing pin had moved slightly forward such that it had make a minute puncture in the cylinder, not enough gas escaping at any one time to inflate the jacket but over 'the years' it emptied the cylinder completely.

You obviously still have manual inflation (mouth) but it just goes to show why regular servicing (or at least weighing the gas cylinder) is advisable, fall in and expect auto-inflation and it doesn't work, pull the string for manual-gas inflation and it doesn't work and its a bit of a shock.

Even more serious if you are knocked unconsious on the lock wall as you fall.

2 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

If you want more than one, buy one first and if the worst happens you have lost £40, if all good buy more.

I don't know the business, but he is not far from Aberdeen, which has a lot of marine offshore activity, and the photos look like he  buys quite a lot of stuff from that industry , an industry that would sell off still serviceable safety equipment when new specifications demand it, or new contracts are involved, they would rather clear out older stuff than have an assortment of dated lifejackets.

Reminds me to get a new auto jacket for winter locking, I inadvertantly pulled the handle on one of mine, so had to sail down the Trent with manual inflation, the other one looked as though the canister was corroded, so I binned it.

I really want a sports type, to be sure to wear it when on my own, I would rather have part foam  but they come in at the top end of the price range I had a foam bouyancy aid when I was racing yachts, it was warm, comfortable, and gave me lots of confidence when dancing about on the pulpit, obviously had a harness and lifejacket for bad weather, or overnights.

Edited by LadyG

13 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I don't know the business, but he is not far from Aberdeen, which has a lot of marine offshore activity, and the photos look like he  buys quite a lot of stuff from that industry , an industry that would sell off still serviceable safety equipment when new specifications demand it, or new contracts are involved, they would rather clear out older stuff than have an assortment of dated lifejackets.

Correct - he is a 'marine /oil industry 'house clearance' business taking everything from Life rafts, to Lifeboats to Life jackets to Immersion suits(and everything that has a commercial use by date)

Over the years he has had some amazing 'stuff'.

Here is one of his competitors current offerings.

Handy for getting into the cold water to clear the prop !!

https://www.findafishingboat.com/immersion-suits/ad-109722

af1782c7-d9d9-4f55-ba37-c355647e6a9a_large2000.jpg

ca26fa1f-3393-4d9d-a6fd-fc175926a7e6_large2000.jpg

19.jpg

3.jpg

https://nwtandco.com/

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, Col_T said:

How long before we see that covered life-boat covered and cc-ing the K&A???

I've seen one or two fun paintjobs, youneed a senseof humour to live on one.

Edited by LadyG

7 hours ago, frangar said:

Why would you send bank details if you are making a purchase?
But there are only two things that can happen if someone has your bank details. They can pay money into your account or set up a direct debit (which would be covered by the d/d guarantee scheme).

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The reason (generally) for replacement of the bobbins is that when stored in the open air the salt in the bobbins absorbs moisture and can either fall-out (meaning the pin self-fires) or become a solid block and stops the pin activating.

We had a regular problem with that of the work jackets so use to remove the bobbin, cylinder when not in  use, we also had some with what I can only describe as a "blotting paper" mechanism.

One of the problems with damp was the pin would creep forward and just press the cylinder membrane,  the cylinder would then leak so slowly it didn't inflate the bladder but lose all the CO2. but visually look fine, that is why you should weigh the cylinders from time to time.  We didn't have any vacpack ones in the lifeboats at that time.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

We had a regular problem with that of the work jackets so use to remove the bobbin, cylinder when not in  use, we also had some with what I can only describe as a "blotting paper" mechanism.

One of the problems with damp was the pin would creep forward and just press the cylinder membrane,  the cylinder would then leak so slowly it didn't inflate the bladder but lose all the CO2. but visually look fine, that is why you should weigh the cylinders from time to time.  We didn't have any vacpack ones in the lifeboats at that time.

I had the same with one of our 'leisure' life jackets.

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

When I first started doing my own servicing I found that SWMBO's life jacket gas cartridge was empty. The 'bobbin' salt had hardened and bits had fallen out meaning the firing pin had moved slightly forward such that it had make a minute puncture in the cylinder, not enough gas escaping at any one time to inflate the jacket but over 'the years' it emptied the cylinder completely.