Potentially sensible or just plain stupid?

selbstdarstellung

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

The Canal and River Trust refer to the likes of the Aire & Calder as the 'North East' waterways. Along with numerous other waterways.

Not because the majority are in the North East of England as such but rather because they are in the North East of the main connected system.

The one that is of course actually in the North East is the Tees and its barage. (Very few, if any boats for sale there though).

Edit - I see that they now have extended the region to include Yorkshire and its now 'Yorkshire and the North East'.

Screenshot_20201115-151346_Chrome.jpg

But you should take the context into account.

A newbie who lives in Teeside, is looking to buy his first boat and is told "buy one in the North East, the boats are cheaper and the canals wider"

What region do you imagine he thinks is being discussed ?

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But you should take the context into account.

A newbie who lives in Teeside, is looking to buy his first boat and is told "buy one in the North East, the boats are cheaper and the canals wider"

What region do you imagine he thinks is being discussed ?

I would live to debate further with you but as to do so incurs the wrath of some on here I'll not bother.

But I would just say when I was a newbie I was mystified by the term 'North East Waterways' particularly as a I live in the Tees Valley.

A simple Google (using the correct search term) clarified the term and which waterways it referred to.

Back then (in BW days) it definitely didn't include the Yorkshire waterways but rather was exclusively the ones in North East (of the main connected system NOT the North East of England, Tees apart) and didn't include the cross Pennine routes.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

53 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

nah!

everybody knows that the North is anything beyond Hatfield, as per the infamous road sign on the A1 "Hatfield and the North".   So the Northeast is obv anything to the right of the A1 as you drive away from the Smoke.  Places like Grantham, Lincoln, etc.

I thought it was officially  Watford Gap 

4 hours ago, Paul Gwilliams said:

Just seen this

https://www.abcboatsales.com/boat-sales/lyntone/

Any good?

Looks very competitively priced compared with what else has been out there this year, this summer. Tidy, good builder, 21 years old. Might need a paint, but not urgently and not necessarily professionally. I'd want to know what was wrong with it for them only to be asking for that...

Does lack a secondary heating system if you're looking to live aboard

Edited by enigmatic

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You repeatedly say "North East" despite having explained to you that the Chesterfield canal & Retford is not in the North East, they are in the East Midlands

"There are wide canals up here in t'north east, and lots of folks here have proper motor boats, so , if he finds one ............"

I used to live in the High Peak District of Derbyshire, which officially is, as you say, in the East Midlands, but being less than fifteen miles from the Yorkshire border, it certainly felt (and sounded) like we were in the North.

Edited by David Schweizer

9 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I used to live in the High Peak District of Derbyshire, which officially is, as you say, in the East Midlands, but being less than fifteen miles from the Yorkshire border, it certainly felt (and sounded) like we were in the North.

Always seems weird that Poynton is in Cheshire East, go a few bridges along, High Lane & Marple are in Stockport and therefore Greater Manchester but a bit further and you're in New Mills in The High Peak, East Mids. Sounds as though you've done a proper journey, except it's single figures in miles, no locks and a few hours. Geographically as the crow flies they're even closer.

17 hours ago, Paul Gwilliams said:

Back on topic!

We bought a 30' overplated Mike Siveright Owl class last year for £15500 originally priced at 20k had all the bills and recent hull survey to check the work.

Previous to that we nearly bought a Springer for £9k. Glad we waited

What was wrong with the £9k Springer?