Kelvin K3 battery charging

Martin R

Featured Posts

It looks as though my Kelvin K3 is not charging my batteries when either idle or running. 
It is a twin alternator set up with a belt drive from the main flywheel.

I need to check the alternator output but wanted what set up others had on their Kelvins.

also can you get a engine driven tacho from anywhere.

34 minutes ago, Martin R said:

It looks as though my Kelvin K3 is not charging my batteries when either idle or running. 

I need to check the alternator output but wanted what set up others had on their Kelvins.

Can't speak for Kelvin specific stuff but  you may well have a W terminal on as alternator that will drive a tacho.

Do you have charge warning lamps, if not or they are not working you that maybe why you have no output. Not many alternators are likely to energise without a at least some excitation current. Some that can sometimes lose their residual magmatism so they won't any more. With a belt off the flywheel there shoudl be no probes with alternator speed, even with the largest alternator pulleys. However I would wonder about the degree of belt wrap but if its slipping I would expect it to squeal.

I suspect we need to know what alternators you have so perhaps a photo may get you more help.

1 hour ago, Martin R said:

With a 12 litre Kelvin I assume there isn't much difference between idling and running?

Have the alternators been charging OK before your current problem or is this a new problem?

Why do you think the alternators are not charging?  Charge   Lights  permanently on? Or no movement on the ammeter,  or some other reason?

Pictures of your set up and close ups of the backs of the alternators and associated  wiring would be useful.

I have a J2 which drives the alternators from 300 mm pulleys bolted to the flywheel.  That requires a speed increase to get charging to start when the battery is fairly full, but not if it is down to 12.3 V ish.  I know my J is ticking over at 225 rpm and the K should idle at 160 rpm but many are set lower.  Even with a drive off the outside of the flywheel you may need to rev the engine a bit to get the alternators to kick in.

N

12 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Why do you think the alternators are not charging?  Charge   Lights  permanently on? Or no movement on the ammeter,  or some other reason?

Pictures of your set up and close ups of the backs of the alternators and associated  wiring would be useful.

I have a J2 which drives the alternators from 300 mm pulleys bolted to the flywheel.  That requires a speed increase to get charging to start when the battery is fairly full, but not if it is down to 12.3 V ish.  I know my J is ticking over at 225 rpm and the K should idle at 160 rpm but many are set lower.  Even with a drive off the outside of the flywheel you may need to rev the engine a bit to get the alternators to kick in.

N

The Kelvins are wonderful engines. The K1 and J2 are ideal for narrowboats. Anything larger is overkill ... but that is just my opinion!

29 minutes ago, BEngo said:

N

While I was using the boat over the summer we have several days of rubbish weather and therefore the solar did not charge up my batteries, we ran for around 6 hours a day but this did not seem to charge up either.

the 300mm pulleys sound about right to what is installed and it may just be belt slippage.

59 minutes ago, Martin R said:

While I was using the boat over the summer we have several days of rubbish weather and therefore the solar did not charge up my batteries, we ran for around 6 hours a day but this did not seem to charge up either.

the 300mm pulleys sound about right to what is installed and it may just be belt slippage.

We need the charging current revving at first start up of the day and then the current, again revving, just before you shut down. Then, when we know the alternators make and model we can advise.

On 14/11/2020 at 15:42, Martin R said:

I bolted a 630mm twin v belt pully to the outside of my flywheel (K2) to drive a single 70amp alternator and also fitted an ammeter so I always know what my alternator is doing. Regarding  fitting a rev counter, I have a Tiny Tach which picks up a signal from one of the fuel lines which seems to work well.

EustaceTinyTach.jpg

Edited by BrandyMark

1 hour ago, Martin R said:

Which size Inductive coil do you have on the fuel line? The 6mm or the 1/4”

I'm not on the boat so cannot measure my fuel lines but I'm almost sure it was 6mm (it was fitted about 3 years ago so cannot remember what size I ordered) - the fuel lines could have been replaced at some point so I would recommend putting a vernier gauge on your fuel lines to make sure of the size. Also you need to state the voltage - I kept all my electrics at 24v to keep things simple.

I purchase from a UK company called I.T.C.O. but I have just looked them up and found no trace of them on google but I still have their contact details on my phone so maybe worth a call: Richard Dunn 07860 323255.

Edited by BrandyMark