Wi Fi controlled heating

Mike Beech

Featured Posts

Hi there

I am looking to control my webasto thermal top C heating on my boat to enable wi fi remote control from my phone, I currently have a heatmiser programmer installed

Has anybody done this and have you got any recommendations, the heating is 12 volts, it needs to be controlled through my mobile Wi FI hub without adding another router and through a mobile app

I have been looking at 240 wi fi programmers on E Bay that are little money but not sure about the suitability of these to make it work off 12 v I am thinking they have a relay inside them which will be for 240 and when connected up to 12 use the relay will not last long

Anybody out there done this ?      

12 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I thought there was a GSM module for a webasto.

We have the earlier TC3 model of the Webasto Heater Thermo Call TC4 Smart Phone Remote Control.

It works well but is expensive.

I needed to fit an external aerial as the Webasto is in a trad engine room with only one small porthole.

Also needs a cheap SIM card - we use Asda

Others will no doubt be along soon with much cheaper options.

Edited by gbclive

I control my heating using txt message, remember there are many spots where WiFi won't work!

I use an older version of this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353236387943

It is fitted in the switch line between the controller and the heater.

It's simple and always works just send a txt for on, a txt for off and if needed a check for signal strength. It replies to let you know on,off, good or low.

I thought about using a hive system but dismissed the idea as the internet is not good enough on my mooring.

Thanks for the reply's 

I looked at the door controller and the text message options, I am not sure I how to go about wiring into the current Programmer to interrupt the programmer and tell it to come on before the timer does, IE if I were to override the the programmer by switching it on manually before the timer switches it on 

just three wires in there but how would I integrate another controller with the existing one ?  if I want to maintain the current system, I am thinking it would be better to replace the current programmer with a wi fi one if I can find one 

WiFi reception is good and I live on the Trent full time 

Cheers

Mike   

Only for an eberspacher but here is the principal.

There will be one wire  that switches the heating on, normally by going to +12v you need to check this is correct.

Break this wire and connect the common of the relay to the heater and the normally closed contact to the controller, connect the normally open contact to 12v. Thus when the relay is off the controller works as normal, and when the relay is closed the heater is on and the controller disconnected.

There is a possibility that the heater uses 5v to switch and you must check this. If it does just find a 5v supply instead of 12v.  There is also a small chance that the controller uses data to switch the heater in which case the relay won't work ?

Edited by Loddon