Mysterious Engine and Builder

Plant_Lady

Featured Posts

Hi All, 

Have tried to search past posts on this forum, and nothing.   No relevant information on google either.. like the two are simply made up manufacturers. 
Has anyone heard of either Lye Boat Builders or engine “HAT2 LC30 Marine“ ?
I feel I have read so many posts and listings, and most things seem to fall into pretty standard categories.  A google of either thing brings up the listing for the boat that I continue to peek at (so cute, no shower, but? It always calls to me..)
As a secondary question, has anyone ever looked at Margot? She seems to have been on the market at least four years.  

Thank you for any guidance.  

Edited by Plant_Lady

Could be a Hatz, they do have a range of small diesels for boats.

Does it look like this  - 

Here is a link to their current brochure.  https://www.hatz-diesel.com/fileadmin/user_upload/hatz-diesel.com/brochueren/Hatz_brochure_marine_competence_en_70254327.pdf

3L41_1_04.png

Edited by MarkH2159
Multiple pics ??

7 hours ago, Plant_Lady said:

As a secondary question, has anyone ever looked at Margot? She seems to have been on the market at least four years.  

I wonder if that's because she has no form of heating at all, so she'd be O.K. for trips out in the summer but not at other times of the year.

6 hours ago, MarkH2159 said:

Could be a Hatz, they do have a range of small diesels for boats.

Doesn’t quite spark joy to look at? 

Thank you for finding that, they sound well built? Or not total rubbish at least? But would probably be difficult to have worked on if it’s less familiar?  And as Athy pointed out, I would be both cold and smelly on that one.  

2 hours ago, Plant_Lady said:

I was thinking a solid fuel stove could be added with relative ease, although it is probably not well insulated if It is only intended for summer use. 

The only place would be between the bench seat and the galley, opposite the bloody awful fridge. But it wouldn't come cheap: with hearth, stove, flue, hole through roof, chimney and collar, I'd guesstimate at least £2,000.

I wasn't saying that the boat was intended for summer use only, but rather that it would be suitable for such use only, it may once have had one of those wall-mounted gas heaters which were popular in narrowboats at the time that it was built.

29 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Catalytic gas heaters we hired a boat with one of those once

I owned an old Harborough with a couple of those fitted 25 or so years ago, they were old even then. Worked well but caused much condensationstuff.

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Catalytic gas heaters we hired a boat with one of those once

Thanks Brian, that's the word, yes, though from memory of the time that we hired a boat which had one, "catastrophic" was nearer the mark.

We had one on a 30 foot NB, very efficient and from memory no problems with condensation (probably due to the excessive 'ventilation' around the doors')

Passed a number of BSS examinations as still compliant under 'grandfather rights'.

Sold it and it went down to London (Brentford) as a Liveaboard.

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, Athy said:

See post number 3 for a possible answer.

Is there the teensiest hint of cynicism in your post?

Seeing as 'Post #3' was from me and the OP has still not really confirmed if the answer to the primary question re the engine is a HATZ or not , I was just asking ?

2 hours ago, MarkH2159 said:

OP has still not really confirmed if the answer to the primary question re the engine is a HATZ or not

Sorry!  No way for me to confirm, the brokerage also had no clue.   I am one of the many searching for a boat of my own.  

I had thought perhaps looking at some of the less ideal/ standard designs might make the search less competitive (spent several sleepless nights trying to redesign the layouts of both "Margot" and bow hydraulic-steered "Liberty") and was grateful for the input.  And now know more about wall mounted gas heaters, they sound kind of delightful.  

I reached out to the brokerage to ask about the size of the water tank on Margot and was told it was unknown, that the owners had chosen not to install a shower..   Perhaps I was expecting a more interested response on a boat that has been so long on the market...  Liberty on the other hand.. That one did my head in, no through access from the stern to the cabin?  Just leaping in through the side hatch, probably why the bed is there to soften my inevitable fall?  But so much room in the front for my plants.. I might still lose some sleep trying to make that one work.    

• Greenie 1

58 minutes ago, Plant_Lady said:

And now know more about wall mounted gas heaters, they sound kind of delightful.  

:clapping:

Liberty, if it's the 40-footer at Great Haywood, looks rather pretty inside and out, though I suspect the exterior may be a little more "tired" than the photos show. If you're steering from the front, why would you need to get from the cabin to the stern?

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

If you're steering from the front, why would you need to get from the cabin to the stern?

It didn't sound appealing to me, would have removed that feature (which the listing assures me is an easy fix.. ?)  Probably stealing an element of its appeal.    

There seem to be a number of people on this forum who are looking for such a steering or accessibility feature, perhaps it will be snapped up!

1 minute ago, Plant_Lady said:

It didn't sound appealing to me, would have removed that feature (which the listing assures me is an easy fix.. ?)  Probably stealing an element of its appeal.    

At least Liberty's brokers know what sort of bloody engine she's got.