anti freeze

glider pilot

Featured Posts

I now use central heating inhibitor with antifreeze included in my Eberspacher - most central heating inhibitors don't have the antifreeze, so choose carefully. Previously I'd used pink 5 year vehicle antifreeze, which was fine but, whilst the antifreeze stays good, the inhibitor gets used up over those 5 years so it then must be changed. You could add more inhibitor, but the difficulty is ensuring it's compatible.

With the central heating stuff, you know exactly which central heating inhibitor is compatible, so you can top it up as needed.

Be aware that antifreeze doesn't carry heat well, so don't over do the strength. It also layers in a heating system which can hinder the flow, so pre-mix it before adding it to your system. Oh, and I use deionised water too (as I do in all my vehicle cooling systems) - some may think this an unnecessary precaution but  it's cheap enough.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I now use central heating inhibitor with antifreeze included in my Eberspacher - most central heating inhibitors don't have the antifreeze, so choose carefully. Previously I'd used pink 5 year vehicle antifreeze, which was fine but, whilst the antifreeze stays good, the inhibitor gets used up over those 5 years so it then must be changed. You could add more inhibitor, but the difficulty is ensuring it's compatible.

With the central heating stuff, you know exactly which central heating inhibitor is compatible, so you can top it up as needed.

Be aware that antifreeze doesn't carry heat well, so don't over do the strength. It also layers in a heating system which can hinder the flow, so pre-mix it before adding it to your system. Oh, and I use deionised water too (as I do in all my vehicle cooling systems) - some may think this an unnecessary precaution but  it's cheap enough.

One of the antifreeze suppliers told me that if you use hard water, you use up at least half of the inhibitors before you even start the engine.  Very soft is probably ok, but di water is just (much) better.