What are these brick sheds at every bridge on the shroppie?

jetzi

Featured Posts

Cheers, first one below the services.

I still agree it does look like it wouldnt get to the rope in time, but I am sure it does. Anyone got a horse......

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Stoke-on-Trent/@53.0928935,-2.2620533,173m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487a11520fae440d:0xf1cdcd2f02caee04!8m2!3d53.002668!4d-2.179404

Daniel

On 13/11/2020 at 12:23, doratheexplorer said:

No it wouldn't.  The planks could all be cut to size for each bridge and then stored and marked with the bridge they are intended for.

But then they need a some amount of central storage, and it adds the logistical challenge of having to find them and bring them to site — potentially from elsewhere than where the work party is coming from. If they're stored next to their specific bridge, it costs nothing to store them and they're in the right place already. I can't speak for the Shroppie, but the Macclesfield stop planks all look to be in good condition in their open wooden huts.

A solution looking for a problem?

15 hours ago, tehmarks said:

But then they need a some amount of central storage, and it adds the logistical challenge of having to find them and bring them to site — potentially from elsewhere than where the work party is coming from. If they're stored next to their specific bridge, it costs nothing to store them and they're in the right place already. I can't speak for the Shroppie, but the Macclesfield stop planks all look to be in good condition in their open wooden huts.

A solution looking for a problem?

I suspect there are two reasons for stopping having on-site storage. The first is that a numnber of stop planks in this type of storage have been set on fire over the years, and the second is that it is that health & safety standards are difficult to assess with wooden beams, and one reason for now using aluminium box section, which also make them lighter.

7 hours ago, Pluto said:

I suspect there are two reasons for stopping having on-site storage. The first is that a numnber of stop planks in this type of storage have been set on fire over the years, and the second is that it is that health & safety standards are difficult to assess with wooden beams, and one reason for now using aluminium box section, which also make them lighter.

Have they stopped?

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

You also get rollers and guides on the top of bridges, If remember correctly there is one on the N Stratford flight and one on the Marple flight

Bridge 32 on the Lapworth flight has a roller.

• Happy 1

Photo, taken today of the ARP gate at the south end of Shebdon embankment. I don't think I'd be relying on that.  Second photo is a modern lockable steel barrier that will close both the towpath and the canal and is installed in the same bridge-'ole. Anyone know what the purpose of that is? My only guess it to stop boats going to their doom on a failing embankment, but there isn't an equivalent at the other end or on the other Shroppie embankments, as far as I can remember.

barrier.jpg

arp_gate.jpg

Returning to the original thread, the brick shed in the photo has the look of being a later type of stop plank holder. With brick walls and concrete top, what is the possibility of it being of LMS construction, or could it be late LNWR/Shroppie ?

Stop planks.jpg

Edited by Heartland

40 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Returning to the original thread, the brick shed in the photo has the look of being a later type of stop plank holder. With brick walls and concrete top, what is the possibility of it being of LMS construction, or could it be late LNWR/Shroppie ?

Stop planks.jpg

I had always assumed that type to be relatively modern - post war through to the 60s, so a product of the BW era, but that's only a guess.

4 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

? My only guess it to stop boats going to their doom on a failing embankment, but there isn't an equivalent at the other end or on the other Shroppie embankments, as far as I can remember.

That is all I could think of.

• 1 year later...
On 21/11/2020 at 13:05, MoominPapa said:

Photo, taken today of the ARP gate at the south end of Shebdon embankment. I don't think I'd be relying on that.  Second photo is a modern lockable steel barrier that will close both the towpath and the canal and is installed in the same bridge-'ole. Anyone know what the purpose of that is? My only guess it to stop boats going to their doom on a failing embankment, but there isn't an equivalent at the other end or on the other Shroppie embankments, as far as I can remember.

arp_gate.jpg

The beam has fallen off now