GSM PIR alarm recommendations

frangar

Featured Posts

To keep me amused over lockdown and hoping that we can go boating next year Im thinking of fitting a GSM PIR alarm system and wondered if anyone had any personal recommendations?

I Installed a rather expensive system about 8 years ago to one of the boats I helped build but that was wired...and technology has moved on since.

Ive looked at the offerings from UltraSecure such as the link below

https://www.ultrasecuredirect.com/wireless-indoor-alarms/shed-garage-alarms/battery-gsm-wireless-ultrapir-alarm/3g-battery-ultrapir-gsm-alarm-boat-alarm-007-1240-p1444.html

Which seem ideal apart from they don't have a Geofence/geolocation option as far as I can see which would be a nice option as would some sort of iPhone app instead of sending text message codes which seems slightly old fashioned although Im guessing that they work better in a poor reception area. 

I would like 2 PIR sensors so I can put one in the lounge covering the front doors/window etc and one in the engine room to cover the back cabin/engine room doors. Wireless & internal battery powered sensors are needed.

I realise that the "alarm" bit might be of limited use but having an alert sent to me might be handy.

Anybody fitted something similar?

I use Amazon Blink XT2 cameras - they can sense movement and send alerts to an app on your phone so could be used for security. Plus you get a live view of your boat - i have one inside looking through the boat and one outside on the roof so i can see how nice it is there!. They record and alert temperature thresholds as well which i find useful. Just need to connect to wifi so Marina one or your own MiFi etc will do...  the cameras themselves run off AA batteries and oddly these last ages - not replaced yet after 12 months...... would recommend.

38 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

I use Amazon Blink XT2 cameras - they can sense movement and send alerts to an app on your phone so could be used for security. Plus you get a live view of your boat - i have one inside looking through the boat and one outside on the roof so i can see how nice it is there!. They record and alert temperature thresholds as well which i find useful. Just need to connect to wifi so Marina one or your own MiFi etc will do...  the cameras themselves run off AA batteries and oddly these last ages - not replaced yet after 12 months...... would recommend.

Im thinking of fitting them as well....but I did fancy an alarm that didn't rely on wifi or a good 3/4G signal as I know we dont always get them....Ive got an Ezviz Wifi camera with a PIR sensor at the moment that's USB powered which is fairly good.

That alarm I linked to can be used with a UK roaming sim so will look for any UK network...the downside is that it would be expensive for data.

1 hour ago, frangar said:

That alarm I linked to can be used with a UK roaming sim so will look for any UK network...the downside is that it would be expensive for data.

I would always go for a txt based alarm as 99.9percent of the time you will get the message. Anything web based is signal dependent, for example on my mooring the internet is pants on just about every network, however I can always get through to my controller* by txt which is free both ways.

*Heating not alarm

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

I would always go for a txt based alarm as 99.9percent of the time you will get the message. Anything web based is signal dependent, for example on my mooring the internet is pants on just about every network, however I can always get through to my controller* by txt which is free both ways.

*Heating not alarm

Yes that’s my thoughts too. The cameras are a bonus. It’s the same reason at my mothers house I have the alarm & cameras from different companies on different servers....always good to have redundancy.