Boat Painting

AndyP

Featured Posts

My first narrowboat was a Harborough Marine with a GRP top. Someone had painted its roof with black tar varnish. I didn't like it. I painted it all over with aluminium or ''aluminum yank style'' paint to seal in the tar varnish and then painted it a blue gloss. It worked well and the tar varnish didn't bleed through to mess it up. You wouldn't do this on a hull of course or anything but perhaps a roof.

On 16/11/2020 at 12:37, Sea Dog said:

Unfortunately Daniel, despite the rebranding from Leigh to Sherwin Williams, this appears to have been discontinued. :(

Well that would be a shame! They still did it last year when we bought it last, and shows in stock with swpaints, however does say it is discontinued elsewhere. I shall enquire further!

Well, bugger, M535 the single pack vinyl copolymer resin underwater coating we have used for the last 30 years, has indeed been discontinued and we likely has about the last this time last year!

I have just spoken to swpaints (tradepaints uk) who show it as in stock and who are our supplier, and it appears the SW have simply not informed them of it becoming end of line.

Then spoke to SW paints technical dept, and they have advised that because the anti-fouling coating of the same formulation does not comply to upcoming legislation they have decided to end of line both of them without offering a replacement product! (then I rang back swpaintsonline to tell them and they shared my disappointment)

The recommended alternative is L524 a two-pack polyamide epoxy, however it is not recommend to use it to overcoat M535, an might react. So, over to you then @AndyP quote me happy ....

SW tech dept did also suggested the M902 ali epoxy which we use for repairing damaged areas is also not suitable for overcoating, and in the past that has never caused issue even slapping it on fairly indiscriminately in reasonable areas, was another polyamide epoxy so if we had 'got away with that' the L524 might be ok, and or to used a barrier coat of M902 and then hit it with M524, but it sounds far from ideal, has some risk associated with it given the size of the underwater area, as well as still ending up having to use a 2-pack product with a ouch time of 8h and a recoat+handle time of 16h, rather than a single pack which is 1h+3h+*h at 15deg.

The only more annoying is that 30 years ago, the very first coat of blacking was an epoxy blacking, which we stopped using and switch to the M535 because that was discontinued! 

What a pita.

Daniel

On 16/11/2020 at 08:53, AndyP said:

.....but perhaps if you see it that bitumen blacking won't be around in the very near future unless you have a stockpile you'll be doing it at some point soon anyway.

You mention this, have you a reference for this, as none of the main producers have stated anything yet ?

International, Dacrylate, Rylards.

We do know that Tar based ones like Comastic have gone already.

10 hours ago, bizzard said:

My first narrowboat was a Harborough Marine with a GRP top. Someone had painted its roof with black tar varnish. I didn't like it. I painted it all over with aluminium or ''aluminum yank style'' paint to seal in the tar varnish and then painted it a blue gloss. It worked well and the tar varnish didn't bleed through to mess it up. You wouldn't do this on a hull of course or anything but perhaps a roof.

I don't think anyone but your goodself @bizzard would go to such extremes, but hey ho it worked for you :)

12 hours ago, matty40s said:

You mention this, have you a reference for this, as none of the main producers have stated anything yet ?

International, Dacrylate, Rylards.

We do know that Tar based ones like Comastic have gone already.

HI it hasn't been delivered yet in any directorate or statement but we're being advised that these products won't be able to be produced very shortly and even with wet coatings there is a move towards water based or water based crosslinker products that show it is already happening in the industry.

On 17/11/2020 at 12:20, bizzard said:

Roof painted in black tar...

(Were the ventilation mushrooms filled with sealant?)

Hmm, you didn't buy it of Missmax did you???