New Eberspacher HS3 D4E installed..so quiet!

Markinaboat

Featured Posts

Just thought I'd share this as when researching, there did not appear to be many/any installations of the new Ebersplutter out there to research.

Anyway, all installed and it's the quietest compact diesel heater both myself and the installer have ever heard. It's beneath the boards in the engine room where the Mikuni was and comes with a marine exhaust and air intake silencer. The guys at Espar (Tim & Mark) where I bought it were super helpful as well. £1275 for the full kit although didn't need all of the parts of course (Header tank, fuel pick-up etc). They even advocate isolating the heating circuit in the summer for calorifier use only as the variable output modulated down to 1.3kw with a brushless, step-less motor. They also advocate the use of TRV's and not to use a wall thermostat. The controller is a doddle to usewith full diagnostics readout incl. resetting if required and service intervals are extended.

If anyone is considering one then I'd be more than happy to show you it running on the boat at Harefield and experience it for yourself.

Eberspacher HS3 D4E 4.3kw Hydronic Heater

I have no connection with Espar/Eberspacher other than as a customer. Of course, time will tell as to reliability but I can't foresee any of the historical associated problems as a result of cycling.

• Greenie 4

11 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Thats interesting to hear Mark-cheers. Be interesting to see how it performs in time.

Reckon youre getting a bit posh on there..?

Not quite Paul! Still got to get the Mastervolt fitted yet but can't find a decent sparks anywhere!

19 hours ago, matty40s said:

The new Webasto Evo50 is similarly quiet and amenable to temp controls.......main ticking noise now almost silenced by running the fuel pump at twice the speed with half the voltage!!(or something clever like that)

Yep, studied the Evo for sometime as it was launched long before the HS3 but technical gurus who supply and work on both convinced me of the superiority of the innards of the Eberthingy. The fuel pump is inaudible. ?

Edited by Markinaboat
tired!

• 1 year later...
On 11/11/2020 at 19:11, Markinaboat said:

Just thought I'd share this as when researching, there did not appear to be many/any installations of the new Ebersplutter out there to research.

Anyway, all installed and it's the quietest compact diesel heater both myself and the installer have ever heard. It's beneath the boards in the engine room where the Mikuni was and comes with a marine exhaust and air intake silencer. The guys at Espar (Tim & Mark) where I bought it were super helpful as well. £1275 for the full kit although didn't need all of the parts of course (Header tank, fuel pick-up etc). They even advocate isolating the heating circuit in the summer for calorifier use only as the variable output modulated down to 1.3kw with a brushless, step-less motor. They also advocate the use of TRV's and not to use a wall thermostat. The controller is a doddle to usewith full diagnostics readout incl. resetting if required and service intervals are extended.

If anyone is considering one then I'd be more than happy to show you it running on the boat at Harefield and experience it for yourself.

Eberspacher HS3 D4E 4.3kw Hydronic Heater

I have no connection with Espar/Eberspacher other than as a customer. Of course, time will tell as to reliability but I can't foresee any of the historical associated problems as a result of cycling.

Most interesting Mark. This is really daunting. I used to be indecisive but I’m not so sure now. The unit you link to seems very good and I’m tempted. Do you know of anyone to install?

Thanks Mark.

UPDATE:

376 trouble free hours.

Boat is now at Braunston should anyone want a demo.

13 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Most interesting Mark. This is really daunting. I used to be indecisive but I’m not so sure now. The unit you link to seems very good and I’m tempted. Do you know of anyone to install?

Thanks Mark.

depends on where you're based?

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Which boiler did you have on Whistlestop? Wasn’t the Eberspacher was it.

Webasto old boy. Very , very quiet as installed correctly. Never went wrong. I had 2, so I sent one off every year for peanuts to a bloke to clean and service and always had one ready to simply swop in if the service one went duff. I had webasto on a previous boat. Ive also had mikuni and Hurricane. Whilst Hurricane are best, they are noisey and expensive. Webasto is good for your need as your main heating is buy a proper stove iirc. If you need one fitting let me know I know a top bloke if he is not busy.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Webasto old boy. Very , very quiet as installed correctly. Never went wrong. I had 2, so I sent one off every year for peanuts to a bloke to clean and service and always had one ready to simply swop in if the service one went duff. I had webasto on a previous boat. Ive also had mikuni and Hurricane. Whilst Hurricane are best, they are noisey and expensive. Webasto is good for your need as your main heating is buy a proper stove iirc. If you need one fitting let me know I know a top bloke if he is not busy.

Thanks for that Tim. In the event I go for another brand of heater would your top bloke still be able to install? Is the Webasto able to run for longer periods? I somehow remember they are not for longer running times on, say, a timer. I am probably wrong.

2 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Thanks for that Tim. In the event I go for another brand of heater would your top bloke still be able to install? Is the Webasto able to run for longer periods? I somehow remember they are not for longer running times on, say, a timer. I am probably wrong.

I have never had a problem with switching on, and leaving an Eberspatche on for weeks / months on end, simply using the thermostat to switch it on and of as needed.

Remember that these things were designed for use in coaches and trucks and they would not be pampered and switched off to minimise carbonisation if they started to wind down.

Let them wind down and wind up themselves, that is what they are programmed to do - mine runs for a couple of minutes burning off excess fuel and cooling down the chamber before actually totally switching off and going into standby.

I think there may have been a few people that got 'dirty fuel' leading to the carbonisation of the Ebers, Webby etc has become a bit of an urban (internet) 'truth'.

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have never had a problem with switching on, and leaving an Eberspatche on for weeks / months on end, simply using the thermostat to switch it on and of as needed.

Remember that these things were designed for use in coaches and trucks and they would not be pampered and switched off to minimise carbonisation if they started to wind down.

Let them wind down and wind up themselves, that is what they are programmed to do - mine runs for a couple of minutes burning off excess fuel and cooling down the chamber before actually totally switching off and going into standby.

I think there may have been a few people that got 'dirty fuel' leading to the carbonisation of the Ebers, Webby etc has become a bit of an urban (internet) 'truth'.

Agreed. Never had a problem.

On 16/01/2022 at 18:58, RAP said:

Any chance you can produce a video? Would be great to hear it running, just to quell those reservations that it is really super quiet.

TIA.

I dont; think the audio on a video will be accurate enough to make a choice. Too many factors surroundng it.