bow thruster or not?

Bobgrif

Featured Posts

17 hours ago, John Wareing said:

I saw the most bizarre use of one on the Staffs and Worcs in August. Someone was using one to avoid touching the sides of a narrow lock.

If it is the same boat that I've seen on the Shroppie, he did the same in Autherly stop lock, all 6" of it.

I'd be curious to try one some time. I can imagine that they are helpful in reverse judging by my low tech bow thruster (Alice in the bows with a barge pole). But I single hand our 65' boat regularly and reverse quite regularly too. The only times that I really have struggled is in strong winds, and in this case I question whether a bow thruster can easily overcome the winds anyway, since the whole boat tends to move sideways?

I can only recall twice that I have seen them used. To move the bow away from the bank when casting off (personally I just push the stern out and reverse, works for me), and going round a sharp bend. Seemed mildly helpful but definitely not necessary. If I was buying a boat I'd certainly be a bit concerned about things going wrong as stated numerous times.

I have no right to an opinion but I really can't see the point, and that's honestly not being macho - I don't mind admitting that I'm a pretty mediocre driver. There are a long list of features I'd take over a bow thruster, but perhaps if I tried one I'd love it? Maybe it belongs in the category of "don't try it or you'll know what you're missing!"

19 hours ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

That's an awfully sexist comment ! Shame on you !

Beat me to it!

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Thast why its called a 'girly button'

Press the right button and it squeals.

I expect it pushed you in the same place you would also squeal.

Daniel

40 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

I'd be curious to try one some time. I can imagine that they are helpful in reverse judging by my low tech bow thruster (Alice in the bows with a barge pole). But I single hand our 65' boat regularly and reverse quite regularly too. The only times that I really have struggled is in strong winds, and in this case I question whether a bow thruster can easily overcome the winds anyway, since the whole boat tends to move sideways?

I can only recall twice that I have seen them used. To move the bow away from the bank when casting off (personally I just push the stern out and reverse, works for me), and going round a sharp bend. Seemed mildly helpful but definitely not necessary. If I was buying a boat I'd certainly be a bit concerned about things going wrong as stated numerous times.

I have no right to an opinion but I really can't see the point, and that's honestly not being macho - I don't mind admitting that I'm a pretty mediocre driver. There are a long list of features I'd take over a bow thruster, but perhaps if I tried one I'd love it? Maybe it belongs in the category of "don't try it or you'll know what you're missing!"

Absolutely correct. I practicaly never push the pointy end off when moving away, its a daft practice but most do it leaving their prop firmly in the shallows/mud. The missus needs zero input when we set off. Push stern out firmly step onboard reverse and with correct tiller and power swing pointy end away from bank and off you go with prop in deepest water, works wherever the wind is coming from after a little practice.

• Greenie 2

15 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Absolutely correct. I practicaly never push the pointy end off when moving away, its a daft practice but most do it leaving their prop firmly in the shallows/mud. The missus needs zero input when we set off. Push stern out firmly step onboard reverse and with correct tiller and power swing pointy end away from bank and off you go with prop in deepest water, works wherever the wind is coming from after a little practice.

No need to reverse, just push stern away, straight into forward with tiller over and pivot away. 

• Greenie 1

Shirley the joy of boating is to work with whatever craft you have - know it's strengths and weaknesses - rather than adding gadgets that appear on first sight to make it too easy.

Apart from the derogatory comments about thrusters on a canal boat, I would be more concerned that:-

• a thruster tube is usually of a different marerial content that will corrode more easily than the rest of the hull.
  • May suffer from blockages
  • Will rediuce the 'storage space' for more important items ( gas locker, water tank, lines, spikes etc)

I come fro a generation where part of the enjoyment was working with the device, rather than having everything done for me.

If the latter was requirement - I'd have a (paid) crew - and that would destroy the spirit of adventure that boating gives me....

Once a week exol pride reverses past my boat, it uses a bow thruster and he comes past fairly swiftly.  The first time the thruser failed a tug was used to get the tanker past us, the second time the other month he came past us very slowly and very close to boats at times, turning around at the end was done with a lot of engine roaring and shuffling back and forwards! I have to say bowthrusters do have a place in the scheme of things

• Horror 1

If someone has one they don't want I would like one for Christmas please. Next time I take a ferry across the channel I'll pop up to the bridge and tell the captain that if he was any good at steering he could turn round in Dover or Dunkirk ports without pressing the girly button. I am sure he would appreciate my advice on steering.

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

May suffer from blockages

I'd imagine, being in a tube, that the bow thruster is possibly even more prone to getting clogged with weed or plastic? In that case, how does one clear it? No weed hatch I assume - does that mean you have to take a dip and stick your arm in the tube??

23 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

I'd imagine, being in a tube, that the bow thruster is possibly even more prone to getting clogged with weed or plastic? In that case, how does one clear it? No weed hatch I assume - does that mean you have to take a dip and stick your arm in the tube??

yep!

• Horror 1

25 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

Some have weed hatches 

Lumpy water motor boats more often have a bow thruster. Lots of boat out of the water and not so much in the water makes the bow easily affected by the wind.

The one time the thruster did break was when some debris was sucked in. It had to wait for the next lift out for repair. Otherwise maintenance is minimal - a coat of looking at annually. When I first bought the boat  in 2014 there was  very slight corrosion so I gave the motor a clean up and a coat of  Waxoyl.  Nothing has since been required.

Bow thrusters are expensive to fit but add nothing to a used boats value  so if wanted its perhaps best to but a boat with the thruster already fitted.

'

20200158.jpg

20160311.jpg

On 11/11/2020 at 14:44, Bobgrif said:

I am just starting to look at getting another boat having previously had a 24' GRP cruiser and a 46' narrow boat (but have now been off the water for about 10 years).  I'd like to move up a size again now to about 57' but wondering if a bow thruster is a worthwhile addition to the boat at this size. I had few problems manoeuvring my old boat but feel that I have lost some competence while off the cut. I should add that I am planning to buy second hand and in the spring with the aim of long term cruising and as my wife is unable to do any 'heavy' work (locks etc) due to a back problem I will mostly be handling the boat solo.

Your boat your choice, don't be influenced by others,

On 11/11/2020 at 14:44, Bobgrif said:

I am just starting to look at getting another boat having previously had a 24' GRP cruiser and a 46' narrow boat (but have now been off the water for about 10 years).  I'd like to move up a size again now to about 57' but wondering if a bow thruster is a worthwhile addition to the boat at this size. I had few problems manoeuvring my old boat but feel that I have lost some competence while off the cut. I should add that I am planning to buy second hand and in the spring with the aim of long term cruising and as my wife is unable to do any 'heavy' work (locks etc) due to a back problem I will mostly be handling the boat solo.

Your boat your choice, don't be influenced by others,

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

That is how we did it.

I cant recall anyone ever telling us this was the best way but it occurred to me one day it was the simply logical way to do it.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

Experienced skipper operates the so called 'girly button'.

I took this video several years ago at Castleford flood lock hence the incorrect livery and name.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Or he could just have put it in reverse and 'rolled' the back end around on the Armco

Im sure he will be grateful for that advice.

If he could even be bothered to heed it.

Ps its not Armco. Or rather it wasnt back then.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Or he could just have put it in reverse and 'rolled' the back end around on the Armco

Yes Alan but it has a huge bow thruster so why not use it?

A few weeks ago it came a bit close to my boat he hit the button and my boat went up a foot! 33 tons and it lifts me out of the water amazing. Because of the bow thruster it goes from exol to Eastwood lock in 10-15 mins without it it's nearer an hour, it's a no brainer isn't it

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

Yes Alan but it has a huge bow thruster so why not use it?

A few weeks ago it came a bit close to my boat he hit the button and my boat went up a foot! 33 tons and it lifts me out of the water amazing. Because of the bow thruster it goes from exol to Eastwood lock in 10-15 mins without it it's nearer an hour, it's a no brainer isn't it

Totally agree, but the DogHouse has to make an issue of it.

He's got it so use it, I was simply pointing out that he could pretty much do exactly the same manoeuver without a BT

6 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Im sure he will be grateful for that advice.

If he could even be bothered to heed it.

Ps its not Armco. Or rather it wasnt back then.

Jim no longer skippers it, it's a little guy now very skilled always waves hi and gets a wave back, it's one of my great Joy's to see this boat taking lorries of the road 

• Happy 1

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Totally agree, but the DogHouse has to make an issue of it.

He's got it so use it, I was simply pointing out that he could pretty much do exactly the same manoeuver without a BT

This really is your problem Alan.

You just cannot see it though.

There was no issue being made out of anything.

You referenced the 'girly button', it was merely followed up using the same term.

Perhaps the skipper felt it was better to make the manoeuvre without touching the lock sides? They always did, I just never managed to video one doing it.

3 hours ago, ivan&alice said:

Didn’t happen to mine, all the way from Glasson Dock to Malta and back over a three year period.

Entirely possible, but not a big worry.

Edited by Richard10002