Learning the "ropes " !

Newtricks

Featured Posts

33 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Maybe not pass as such, but if they're hidden in the hedge with the petrol cans from the engine 'ole and the generator from under the bed...? ;)

And when the MAIB investigate the burnt out wreckage and ascetain the reason for the explosion it is quite likely the insurers will say "no chance we are paying out".

7 hours ago, Ianws said:

The boat is gas free but you have a portable gas stove onboard. You might want to look at this https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/news/boat-safety-scheme-issues-gas-warning-to-boaters

Well spotted but rest assured that was just a temporary solution to enable us to make a cup of tea while we are still working on her. We made sure that  the window was open and the canister unlocked when not in use. It's a leisure boat at the moment and will be having a solar set up put in over the Winter period ready for next year. Good to see you know your stuff though. 

I'm wondering how you are going to cook, I can envisage an induction hob in summer, and a solid fuel stove with oven for winter? I find the main problem with my gas cooker is how slow it is to boil water for making tea for more than one person, I suppose I could keep a large kettle on top of solid fuel stove in winter, to to up a smaller one for the gas, all a faff.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I'm wondering how you are going to cook, I can envisage an induction hob in summer, and a solid fuel stove with oven for winter? I find the main problem with my gas cooker is how slow it is to boil water for making tea for more than one person, I suppose I could keep a large kettle on top of solid fuel stove in winter, to to up a smaller one for the gas, all a faff.

Hi LadyG, yes I have an induction hob but trying not to run the inverter till the solar set up is complete. As it's a leisure boat I am planning to prepare meals at home that I can reheat in a microwave. I have seen that some boats have solid fuel stoves which look great and from all the research I have done I think everyone has different ideas on what is best for them.I am going to see what sort of power I can

Generate from the solar set up (4 panels ) and see what sort of appliances will work best. From what I can gather it's the winter months that take the most thought and for liveboards this would be quite a challenge without gas. The way technology is changing I would not be surprised if some clever ideas were to come along in the next 10 years though. ?

On 11/11/2020 at 13:51, Newtricks said:

Hi all, after years of research (and saving hard ! ) I have finally purchased a steel boat which was made for me to fit my limited mooring on the Thames. ( I managed to purchase the mooring a few years ago ! ) Having had some lessons with a very experienced boater I am very conscious that some of you make it look easier than it is !  I am also conscious that the phrase " Teaching an Old dog new Tricks " is probably very apt, but for some of us its not always possible to find the time ( or money ! ) to take up boating in our younger years. 

Buoyed up by the performance ( or perceived performance ) of Sheilagh Hancock  on the new series of great Canal journeys I was just wondering how many others on here started the process of learning to handle a boat after the age of 59 ? How long did it take you to get used to your boat ? Who helped you ? etc.

I do have 2 people that can "crew" for me ( neither of which is an experienced boater ) but feel that it is my responsibility to learn how to handle my own boat and in many ways this is my journey and I want to learn as much as I can.

My boat is 36ft long by 11ft 6in wide and has a fixed wheelhouse ( to enjoy sitting and looking at the lovely view all year round ) with hydraulic steering ( I have already decided I need a "rudder meter " ! ) She will be used mainly on the stretch of the Thames between Abingdon and Windsor ( once I have gained enough confidence )

Oh and she does have a bow thruster ( which I thought would be essential !

Sweet Freedom on her home moorings.jpg

Well done, good looking craft. :)

• Happy 1

13 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And when the MAIB investigate the burnt out wreckage and ascetain the reason for the explosion it is quite likely the insurers will say "no chance we are paying out".

You do know I was not condoning that course of action, right Alan? Thanks for pointing that out though, just in case my sarcasm was too subtle for some! 

• Happy 1

35 minutes ago, Newtricks said:

As it's a leisure boat I am planning to prepare meals at home that I can reheat in a microwave.

Are you aware of how much 'leccy a microwave uses?

The 'wattage rating' of a microwave is the amount of power going into the food, not the amount it uses.

A microwave will typically use 2x its rated output, so an 850w microwave would actually draw 170amps from you battery.

If it takes 10 minutes to defrost and reheat you frozen 'stew' then you would (probably) need to run the engine / alternator for 25-30 minutes to replace it,

Managing electricity will be the hardest thing you need to learn, and having an 'electric' boat is even more difficult.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you aware of how much 'leccy a microwave uses?

The 'wattage rating' of a microwave is the amount of power going into the food, not the amount it uses.

A microwave will typically use 2x its rated output, so an 850w microwave would actually draw 170amps from you battery.

If it takes 10 minutes to defrost and reheat you frozen 'stew' then you would (probably) need to run the engine / alternator for 25-30 minutes to replace it,

Managing electricity will be the hardest thing you need to learn, and having an 'electric' boat is even more difficult.

The bottom line really is the bottom line when it comes to electricity on boats. You can do almost anything if you can manage the storage/replacement correctly. from just a couple of LED lights to a full size domestic cooker.

1 hour ago, Newtricks said:

Hi LadyG, yes I have an induction hob but trying not to run the inverter till the solar set up is complete. As it's a leisure boat I am planning to prepare meals at home that I can reheat in a microwave. I have seen that some boats have solid fuel stoves which look great and from all the research I have done I think everyone has different ideas on what is best for them.I am going to see what sort of power I can

Generate from the solar set up (4 panels ) and see what sort of appliances will work best. From what I can gather it's the winter months that take the most thought and for liveboards this would be quite a challenge without gas. The way technology is changing I would not be surprised if some clever ideas were to come along in the next 10 years though. ?

Ten years, we'all be dead 'n buried, or living in an ice bubble on planet Zog.

Edited by LadyG

10 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

The bottom line really is the bottom line when it comes to electricity on boats. You can do almost anything if you can manage the storage/replacement correctly. from just a couple of LED lights to a full size domestic cooker.

We normally cruise for 5-12 hours per day so our 1300Ah battery bank tends to keep well charged, thus, we can use the 230v appliances (Air-Fryer,  toaster, electric kettle, freezer  & microwave). On days we anchor and 'stay-put' we will use the Gas kettle, the gas hob the gas grill and the gas oven.

Using just the 12v for heating (Eberspacher), lighting, fridge, freezer and pumps means we can stay for several days without worrying and the Solar tends to replace at least 50% of what we use anyway.

Our usage is around 100Ah per day (30Ah fridge, 35Ah freezer + phone charger, laptop, kindle, tablet etc etc)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, Newtricks said:

As it's a leisure boat I am planning to prepare meals at home that I can reheat in a microwave.

Microwaves are for heating up baked beans. Once you advance your cookery skills to be able to heat them in a pan, you have no need for one in a boat - and your alternator/batteries will breath a sigh of relief! ;)

• Happy 1