Hull survey / Insurance companies

Slim

Featured Posts

Reading another topic has set me thinking.....................

My boat, which I've owned from new,  will be 25 years old next May. At some point insurance companies will start to want a hull survey. The problem is that different companies all seem to have their own policy on the matter. I was wondering if members could post a brief note of their company and survey requirements. No need for details just something to base options on. The boat is already scheduled to be slipped in April (Cropredy).

I realise I could phone around all the major players but the thought of all that 'press button 1, press button 3, press button 1, "All our operators are busy at the moment, we are experiencing a period of high demand please hold, we value your custom" followed by quick blast of Vivaldi fills me with dread.

Frank  

Craftinsure: every five years from 30, and you have to comply with the recommendations in the survey of course.  Personally, with a boat that old (mine is now 42) I find the peace of mind quite reassuring, and well worth the survey fee.  [Corrected to 30, my memory is going...]

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Have been with SAGA for years, survey needed when boat reaches 30 years old, slight premium increase when when it reached 20 years. As a matter of interest I  instructed a good surveyor to carry out a full 'out of water survey ' when the boat was 20 years old, no problems were found.

5 years!!!!

A hull survey is an out of water survey that will require the expense of a dry dock, slipway, crane or what have you.

The hull will then need to be cleaned off as you would do every two years, or any other choice you may make, for routine blacking.

The surveyor is then likely to scrape off some of the residual hull covering during his inspection.

Then after any repair work that maybe required, the hull must then be re-blacked before re-floating.

So why 5 years!

This doesn't fit into the regular blacking pattern that most people adopt.

So hold out for six years, and save yourself a lot of money!

I did.

James

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and I'm impressed with the collective knowledge of the users on here. I was wondering about the requirement of a survey for insurance purposes for a boat that is over 30 years old, and how do you know how old a boat is? As I understand it, boats don't have a logbook in the same way that road vehicles do.

Mike Stimpson sees six years is a sensible time period because it falls well within the seven year statute of liability which would be covered by the surveyor's PI cover.  I also agree that it works well with blacking every other year.  Of late, some boat insurers seem to have started asking for surveys every five years.  I don't understand why this has happened and have been unable to find out.

My boat was first surveyed at 20 years old (the requirement has changed since then) and twice since, and the steelwork has scarcely changed at all.  I don't think all that scraping and banging does it any good.  If you can book the survey with your blacking, this will obviously minimise the dry dock cost.

1 hour ago, Onewheeler said:

MS Amlin (formerly and soon-to-be-again Haven Knox Johnson) seemed surprised that anyone would ask when I asked last year (the boat then being 26 years old). They always seem nice to deal with and are as cheap as anyone.

And formerly St Margaret's Insurance!  ......... I first insured a boat with them 55 years ago. I have just received my renewal notice. They probably aren't the cheapest but they are reputable and helpful. 

Edited by PhilR
typo

5 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

MS Amlin (formerly and soon-to-be-again Haven Knox Johnson) seemed surprised that anyone would ask when I asked last year (the boat then being 26 years old). They always seem nice to deal with and are as cheap as anyone.

They say that after submitting a survey they won’t usually ask for one again. Having said that that, they haven’t asked us to provide a survey in the first place. Boat age unknown, estimated at 1990. Decent premium as well.

15 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

I’ve just received the renewal quote for my sixth year of insurance with MS Amlin on a 52 year old boat. They have had no requirement for a hull survey beyond the one I provided them with when I bought the boat.

Edited by Captain Pegg

19 hours ago, Ianws said:

They say that after submitting a survey they won’t usually ask for one again. Having said that that, they haven’t asked us to provide a survey in the first place. Boat age unknown, estimated at 1990. Decent premium as well.

My lumpy water sailing boat is a 1979 build, surveyed at 25 years and they said they wouldn't ask for another, now 41 years old and they haven't.

Put the NB with them as well as they gave me the same no claims, they didn't want sight of the survey (boat is 22 years old). I'm expecting to be asked for one at 25 years and then not get asked again. Been a good company to deal with over the last 30 years.

23 hours ago, Slim said:

Thanks everyone, and anyone who posts in the future. I'll make a note and have a think. 

I suppose the next question is can anyone suggest someone in the Banbury area to do a hull survey?

GJW insure us and require a survey every 7 years, boat was built 1937. Premium is around £260.

Attached is a picture of the details of the surveyor we are using early next year. 

20201112_185547.jpg