Water pumps 25psi v 40psi?

Markinaboat

Featured Posts

Out of curiosity, I asked a question to a large online supplier (not MC) about the following two water pumps as follows:

https://www.asap-supplies.com/products/jabsco-31620-0092-par-max-4-pressure-pump-12v-16-lpm-40-psi-509737

https://www.asap-supplies.com/products/jabsco-31620-0292-par-max-4-pressure-pump-12v-16-lpm-25-psi-509736

My question was on the lines of .......

"Given that the flow rate of 16 litres/min is the same for both models, why/when would you specify the 40psi version over the more common 25psi?

Their answer:

"This would depend on what your system uses and what capacity it is capable of running. But, assuming both are fine, the higher pressure pump would pressurise a little slower, whilst the 25psi would pressurise faster, so out of the two, I would say the 25PSI would be a better option."

Given that the pressure in a fluid is equal in all directions, I still don't get it. Surely the 40psi version will still hit 25psi in the same/similar time as the 25 psi version would but the 40 psi would keep pumping until it reaches 40 psi in the system. I can understand this on a superyacht that's 100m long but is there more to this?

Edited by Markinaboat
error

Firstly it would be a very bad idea to fit a 45psi pump to a boat system with calorifier expecting max 30psi. Best case scenario would be the PRV opening permanently, worst case the calorifier splitting!

The advantage of a higher pressure pump (coupled with the rest of the system designed for high pressure) is the ability to achieve a good flow rate through long narrow pipework and or up to upper deck levels, through restrictions such as showers etc. But on a typical narrowboat you get a perfectly adequate flow rate with a 25psi one.

I would agree with you that the answer you received is mostly BS, but then what do you expect, they just sell ‘em, they don’t design ‘em!

27 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Firstly it would be a very bad idea to fit a 45psi pump to a boat system with calorifier expecting max 30psi. Best case scenario would be the PRV opening permanently, worst case the calorifier splitting!

The advantage of a higher pressure pump (coupled with the rest of the system designed for high pressure) is the ability to achieve a good flow rate through long narrow pipework and or up to upper deck levels, through restrictions such as showers etc. But on a typical narrowboat you get a perfectly adequate flow rate with a 25psi one.

I would agree with you that the answer you received is mostly BS, but then what do you expect, they just sell ‘em, they don’t design ‘em!

Yep, there's no way I would put a 40 psi in with the typical nb system for the reasons you state. On the other hand, I would've thought that there were perhaps far superior 'lumpy-stuff' pumps that would be specced in your average $10m super-yacht!