will it be rubbish

Tony marsh

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

Nice try, but that's not what you said.  I'll jog your memory:

image.png.521dcd601518bc55d56f876e2c086426.png

You were advising a newcomer as to the range of mooring prices available.  The clear implication to someone who may not know any better, is that the bottom price he could expect to pay is £2500.  It's not true though.  I wouldn't mind but you do this time and time again, overstating how much things cost.  Quite possibly discouraging prospective new boaters.  It gives the impression that you, like others, just don't want anyone new on the cut.

Just for clarity, and to help the OP, the £1500 mooring I found is far from being the cheapest out there.  In fact the cheapest moorings available would be well under £1000.  Another option is to not bother paying for a mooring at all.

I paid £1800 in a marina in the midlands for a 57 foot boat, it has an electric gate on the entrance, room to park the car, water and electricity at each mooring, elsan disposal,  diesel and pumpout just outside.

20 hours ago, Tony marsh said:

Hi there , I'm new to the whole world of narrowboats is it possible to get a boat in pretty good condition and ready to cruise that would last a good few years without any major work needed on a budget of 25000 I only need something about 40 feet as I'm on my own,  sorry if this is a stupid question but if you don't ask you'll never know. 

Thanks for some of the answers,  just like any forum I was also  expecting the usual helpful sarcastic comments and I haven't been let down there. Yes of course I knew that I'd need a survey and money for running costs etc . Anyway happy cruising to those that actually move their boats and I'll keep looking.  Thanks. 

40 minutes ago, Tony marsh said:

Yes of course I knew that I'd need a survey and money for running costs etc

You'd be surprised (or maybe not) that there are folks who come onto the forum and say I' have a budget of £x,000 to buy a boat and expect that is the extent of the expense, when you point out they need a licence, insurance, a survey, a mooring, and to pay for fuel they think you are 'havin a laff'.

9 hours ago, OldGoat said:

There's a constant stream of people wanting to buy a boat as a liveaboard - but afraid to say so up front.

The inland waterway system is just not set up to accommodate them and it would appear that newcomers have absolutely no idea or wish to work out how to behave....

Oh, I could take a fence, bein' a newcomer, after all only forty years as salty dog, but only two on muddy ditches.

They don't know that the same Q s are asked every week, it's all new to them.

Edited by LadyG

6 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I paid £1800 in a marina in the midlands for a 57 foot boat, it has an electric gate on the entrance, room to park the car, water and electricity at each mooring, elsan disposal,  diesel and pumpout just outside.

when?  2020 or several years ago?

13 hours ago, Murflynn said:

seems to me that every couple of days someone new joins the forum and asks basically the same question.

that is their right, of course, but has it occurred to them that there are already hundreds of responses already available if they do a little search?

there are many members who could provide comprehensive answers, but many of them are not going to repeat what they have already said on other threads.

12 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Thank heavens that they are new enquiries, I thought I had deja vu ,  again.

Last time I had deja vu and dared mention that Newbies use that not to be mentioned “Search” facility on here I was slated for not encouraging Newbies on the site, as above mentions the same questions by Newbies every other day. Let’s all go around in circles again. Dare I say that or will I get a warning and banned by a Administrator again for not encouraging Newbie questions.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

Oh, I could take a fence, bein' a newcomer, after all only forty years as salty dog, but only two on muddy ditches.

They don't know that the same Q s are asked every week, it's all new to them.

?you seam to have wasted a lot of years on boats. As after reading your moans and problems about your travels from Goole and on the Chesterfield Canal, you come across as having little or next to no experience with boats never mind 42 years worth ?

On 10/11/2020 at 20:36, Tony marsh said:

Hi there , I'm new to the whole world of narrowboats is it possible to get a boat in pretty good condition and ready to cruise that would last a good few years without any major work needed on a budget of 25000 I only need something about 40 feet as I'm on my own,  sorry if this is a stupid question but if you don't ask you'll never know. 

Possible?

Yes.

But it will likely need some work, even if its not the major work you mention.

The more DIY competent you are the cheaper boating becomes. If you have to rely on 'professional' trades to do stuff boating can become prohibitively expensive.

9 hours ago, PD1964 said:

?you seam to have wasted a lot of years on boats. As after reading your moans and problems about your travels from Goole and on the Chesterfield Canal, you come across as having little or next to no experience with boats never mind 42 years worth ?

40 years a salty dog       ...................................   in Kansas and Pitlockry (G's own mis-spelling) ?

does make one wonder.   :rolleyes:

I first sailed on a boating lake at the age of 8, started canoeing at the age of 14 and serious offshore sailing at the age of 18.   I don't claim 67 years experience however.

it is quality and density that counts, not longevity.

I’ve just received my annual mooring renewal notice for £1079 in Worcestershire. That’s a CRT ‘linear’ mooring which is actually a pontoon in a basin behind a security gate with water and rubbish facilities.

As with all CRT moorings it is officially a leisure mooring but folk do use them them residentially.

The equivalent mooring in the fully serviced marina up the road would be £2,000.

JP

23 hours ago, Dave Payne said:

Have seen this boat and know of the owner, been looked after.

https://www.midwayboats.co.uk/boatsforsale-327.html

Let's have a 'boatoff', my boat on Appolloduck

Its bigger, has been lived owner five years, new engine, modernised interior

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/springer-40-semi-trad/651643

OP is saving up, may never buy a livesboard, but a liveaboard, 40 footer for £25k is doable for a young single guy with 'a can do' attitude.

I realise that one can 'do up' interior, but my example has already been 'done up', saving purchaser about £5K, and there is already a new engine. Trying to do up interior when living on the boat and while working, is not fun.

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I’ve just received my annual mooring renewal notice for £1079 in Worcestershire. That’s a CRT ‘linear’ mooring which is actually a pontoon in a basin behind a security gate with water and rubbish facilities.

As with all CRT moorings it is officially a leisure mooring but folk do use them them residentially.

The equivalent mooring in the fully serviced marina up the road would be £2,000.

JP

That sounds good

3 hours ago, Murflynn said:

40 years a salty dog       ...................................   in Kansas and Pitlockry (G's own mis-spelling) ?

does make one wonder.   :rolleyes:

I first sailed on a boating lake at the age of 8, started canoeing at the age of 14 and serious offshore sailing at the age of 18.   I don't claim 67 years experience however.

it is quality and density that counts, not longevity.

Yes I had to laugh, probably also like the majority on here with her 40+2 years experience with boats, especially when she posts about her problems in the canals clearly showing a lack of basic boat understanding.

I would say commuters using the Mersey Ferry for the last 42 years know more about boats, or maybe she’s just been  playing Rod Stewards single “Sailing” every day for the last 40 years

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

That sounds good

‘Tis a short boat. When I bought it initially it was a 50’ mooring and I paid the full 50’ price for my 35’ boat for the first year. From the first renewal date though the calculation has been based on a 35’ boat. It’s just about got back to the original price for the 50’ mooring.

17 hours ago, Murflynn said:

when?  2020 or several years ago?

Indeed Fazeley Mill quoted me somewhere round the £1800 figure earlier this year...diesel, elsan, pump out, electric gates, etc.

Kings Orchard in Lichfield was under £2000 (which seemed nice and quiet with showers and services).

I chose a CRT linear with rubbish disposal, water and car parking (and considerably better views) for £1600.

Edited by manicpb