will it be rubbish

Tony marsh

Featured Posts

So I went on Waterside Moorings (because it's the best place to looks at prices).  Typed in Leeds and surroundings, because it's up North.

The first 40' mooring it showed was:

image.png.fafcf4bb45b99218058cbb678e2e516b.png

And it even has parking and hook-up.

That was within 1 minute of searching.  Imagine the bargains a longer search might reveal....

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, Tony marsh said:

Hi there , I'm new to the whole world of narrowboats is it possible to get a boat in pretty good condition and ready to cruise that would last a good few years without any major work needed on a budget of 25000 I only need something about 40 feet as I'm on my own,  sorry if this is a stupid question but if you don't ask you'll never know. 

Have seen this boat and know of the owner, been looked after.

https://www.midwayboats.co.uk/boatsforsale-327.html

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

A good friend of mine sold a rock solid 42cfooter early this summer for less than 25k. Immaculate inside with very low engine hours kubots from new. It was about 20 years old iirc. It was not advertised anywhere but sold to someone who asked if he could buy it. All it needed was top painting and that wasn't bad really. 

A50ft boat in sound condition with a good BMC 1800 sold here in Huddersfield for £24000 Built 1995 and just needing painting.

Decent boats are available,but may need to be searched out and not always advertised on boat selling websites.

Although this boat was advertised on the 'Duck,the bloke who bought it heard about it by word of mouth.

After lockdown,it may be a good idea to go to your nearest marina and chat to a few boaters about wanting a boat.

It is quite likely that someone will know someone who wants to sell.

Edited by Mad Harold
  • Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Have seen this boat and know of the owner, been looked after.

https://www.midwayboats.co.uk/boatsforsale-327.html

Nice one, Dave.

Considering how supercheap Hallmark Boats were when new (they really were at the cornflake-packet end of the market) they have held their value well. This one does look clean and tidy.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

Pulling up the ladder behind you.

So your dad's argument was "I got here first".  And now you're applying the same thing to the canals?

you also miss the point.

I am only reflecting the real situation as it develops, and not suggesting there are any rights or wrongs here, although it might seem that you just want to create an argument.

fact - there were too many cars on an inadequate road network in the 60's to allow those roads to be used safely, enjoyably, efficiently and conveniently.

fact - there are too many moored boats that rarely or never move any significant distance and that prevent a bona-fide navigator from making much progress in many locations on the canal system and enjoying the journey.

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Murflynn said:

you also miss the point.

I am only reflecting the real situation as it develops, and not suggesting there are any rights or wrongs here, although it might seem that you just want to create an argument.

fact - there were too many cars on an inadequate road network in the 60's to allow those roads to be used safely, enjoyably, efficiently and conveniently.

fact - there are too many moored boats that rarely or never move any significant distance and that prevent a bona-fide navigator from making much progress in many locations on the canal system and enjoying the journey.

But if you buy an existing boat and repair it you are not adding to the stock.

The real problem is wealthier people buying an aqualung misappropriate 72 by 16 and then trying to live on the towpath on canals built for narrowboats.

The only issue with buying an existing boat is trying to move it to a honeyspot and then not move

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

Would that journey not be more difficult if they were all moving?

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I don't believe I do, no.

let's look at this another way.

someone is apparently considering a change in lifestyle. 

such a thought has probably been brewing in the mind for weeks or months. 

if that person is serious surely at some stage he will have felt tempted to browse any likely sources of information before deciding that he wants a 40ft boat for 25k and asking a 'unique question' (Dora's description) ?

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

let's look at this another way.

someone is apparently considering a change in lifestyle. 

such a thought has probably been brewing in the mind for weeks or months. 

if that person is serious surely at some stage he will have felt tempted to browse any likely sources of information before deciding that he wants a 40ft boat for 25k and asking a 'unique question' (Dora's description) ?

Quite possibly. How gratifying that this search has now led Tony to this forum.

What is your opinion non the feasibility of his plan? 

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Quite possibly. How gratifying that this search has now led Tony to this forum.

What is your opinion non the feasibility of his plan? 

what is yours?

there are many answers out there (hundreds if not thousands) already on this forum, some of which may be relevant to the OP, so assuming he reads the relevant stuff he is the one who should have an opinion on the matter of feasibility, not you nor I.      :unsure:

believe it or not, I was/am trying to be helpful, directing the OP to the combined knowledge of many members of this forum, not just to the responses from a few members who bothered to respond at this time.

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

So I went on Waterside Moorings (because it's the best place to looks at prices).  Typed in Leeds and surroundings, because it's up North.

The first 40' mooring it showed was:

image.png.fafcf4bb45b99218058cbb678e2e516b.png

And it even has parking and hook-up.

That was within 1 minute of searching.  Imagine the bargains a longer search might reveal....

A leisure mooring for a 40 foot boat in York Marina (York, 'up North') would be £4731 per annum

You can get examples at both extremes - I quoted a 'middle of the road' price at £2500

https://www.yorkmarina.co.uk/marina-price-list/

They 'call it' York marina but as I'm sure you know it is actually 4 miles outside of the city near naburn Locks.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A leisure mooring for a 40 foot boat in York Marina (York, 'up North') would be £4731 per annum

You can get examples at both extremes - I quoted a 'middle of the road' price at £2500

https://www.yorkmarina.co.uk/marina-price-list/

They 'call it' York marina but as I'm sure you know it is actually 4 miles outside of the city near naburn Locks.

Nice try, but that's not what you said.  I'll jog your memory:

image.png.521dcd601518bc55d56f876e2c086426.png

You were advising a newcomer as to the range of mooring prices available.  The clear implication to someone who may not know any better, is that the bottom price he could expect to pay is £2500.  It's not true though.  I wouldn't mind but you do this time and time again, overstating how much things cost.  Quite possibly discouraging prospective new boaters.  It gives the impression that you, like others, just don't want anyone new on the cut.

Just for clarity, and to help the OP, the £1500 mooring I found is far from being the cheapest out there.  In fact the cheapest moorings available would be well under £1000.  Another option is to not bother paying for a mooring at all.

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Nice try, but that's not what you said.  I'll jog your memory:

image.png.521dcd601518bc55d56f876e2c086426.png

You were advising a newcomer as to the range of mooring prices available.  The clear implication to someone who may not know any better, is that the bottom price he could expect to pay is £2500.  It's not true though.  I wouldn't mind but you do this time and time again, overstating how much things cost.  Quite possibly discouraging prospective new boaters.  It gives the impression that you, like others, just don't want anyone new on the cut.

Just for clarity, and to help the OP, the £1500 mooring I found is far from being the cheapest out there.  In fact the cheapest moorings available would be well under £1000.  Another option is to not bother paying for a mooring at all.

My cheapest mooring was just over £800 a year, 65ft offside on the GU. So you're absolutely right, Dora! It took some time and genuine leg work and talking to locals to find it (not just interweb), but find it I did.

My current mooring on the Coventry, thanks to CRT's auction system inflating prices, is nearer £3000 a year. But that shows newbie boaters that there is quite a range of prices even without facilities, depending on how you research, who you talk to and how much patience you have.

13 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Just a suggestion, maybe those who are fed up by new members joining and asking about their plans to buy a boat to for X amount, just don't comment if they find it such a wind up

Better still, the fed up types could just avoid the whole "New To Boating" forum category, which is bound to trigger their delicate sensibilities. The clue is in the title after all ??

Edited by BlueStringPudding
  • Greenie 2

16 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Just a suggestion, maybe those who are fed up by new members joining and asking about their plans to buy a boat to for X amount, just don't comment if they find it such a wind up

as I have already clarified, that was not my position in the least.  please refer to #39.

22 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I wouldn't mind but you do this time and time again, overstating how much things cost.  Quite possibly discouraging prospective new boaters.  It gives the impression that you, like others, just don't want anyone new on the cut.

I don't mind, because Alan is recommending prudence: to overestimate is surely better than to quote a rock-bottom price which might give Tony the impression that boating is cheaper than it really is. If you overestimate the price of, for example, a mooring, you've got a bit of money in reserve if in fact it costs less. If you underestimate, you could be left needing to spend money which you haven't got.

But a variety of views will help Tony to form a picture of what his costs could be, which is a good thing.

7 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

as I have already clarified, that was not my position in the least.  please refer to #39.

Didn't say it was specifically you, it's just every time a new member pops up with these sort of questions someone will respond with a similar response.

The threads often descend into the sort of tit for tat this one already has and understandably the new member buggers off.

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

But a variety of views will help Tony to form a picture of what his costs could be, which is a good thing.

And that's exactly what I was doing.  Alan's response to me:  "Yet again you try and mislead newcomers into false hope."  When in fact it was Alan who was misleading the OP by making him think the £2500 was the cheapest mooring he might find.  As a result of my responses the thread now makes it clear that a far wider range of options is available.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

And that's exactly what I was doing.  Alan's response to me:  "Yet again you try and mislead newcomers into false hope."  When in fact it was Alan who was misleading the OP by making him think the £2500 was the cheapest mooring he might find.  As a result of my responses the thread now makes it clear that a far wider range of options is available.

I wouldn't say that either if you were trying to mislead Tony, you were simply speaking from (different) experience.